• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Report invasive ads here (archived)

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote
It doesn't fall under any of the things you mentioned, but can I report those obnoxious "WARNING THIS LINK IS SCARY OMFG DO NOT CLICK IF YOU'RE UNDER 18" banner ads? Most ads I can stand, but those ads are just too seizurey.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:05 am Reply with quote
You really want us to click on them? There was this one pop-up ad that said "PRESS THE FART BUTTON" that I came across a while back (I'm almost 100% positive it came from ANN since I hadn't visited other websites yet) and when I clicked on it my computer shut down. I got a message when I started it back up that my computer got a Trojan.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:08 am Reply with quote
Kilgamayan wrote:
It doesn't fall under any of the things you mentioned, but can I report those obnoxious "WARNING THIS LINK IS SCARY OMFG DO NOT CLICK IF YOU'RE UNDER 18" banner ads? Most ads I can stand, but those ads are just too seizurey.

Ah, you mean this. I'm pretty tolerant as far as banner ads are concerned, but yeah... that's just creepy. I want it to go away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:46 am Reply with quote
I've noticed a new line of text at the bottom of the page:

Ads by X (nnnn) & Y (mmmm)

Where X and Y are variables of company names, and n and m are variable numbers. Are those indicators of banner and upper-right corner ad, respectively?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:21 am Reply with quote
Should I report Google bootleg ads here or should I continue using the pre-existing thread?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Yes, please continue using the other thread for bootleg ads. This one is for reporting invasive ads. I've updated the thread title to reflect this. Tasteless ads are annoying but we have to pay the bills (and the definition of "tasteless" varies a lot from person to person) so there's no point complaining about such ads.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Ads by Gorilla Nation (7462) & Geneon Entertainment (7573)

Pop up is a survey....when you click to take survey the url is http://survey2.suitesmart.com
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Ads by Anime Lane (7511) & [System] (2)

http://count.exitexchange.com/exit/1139117

Appears to be some sort of real estate/house hunting site.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quote
It seems that the popups always happen when this flash ad is displayed:
Quote:
Accept credit cards / Low processing fee
payment gateway / free 24/7 support
Get Merchant Account Now

But the topic of the popup site is unrelated to a payment gateway
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Dan added an awesome feature to the site today. A server side pop-up blocker.

Yay yay yay...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:17 pm Reply with quote
While it doesn't play when the page loads, there's a ad that shouts at you in the middle of the night if your mouse passes over it on the way to the top of the screen.

Gorilla Nation (7462)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:21 pm Reply with quote
The Questionmarket.com ad (Ads by Gorilla Nation (7462) & Gorilla Nation (7534); http://survey.questionmarket.com/surv/268827/ai_start.php?site=6%26from_ec=0) is generating popups.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
The Questionmarket.com ad (Ads by Gorilla Nation (7462) & Gorilla Nation (7534); http://survey.questionmarket.com/surv/268827/ai_start.php?site=6%26from_ec=0) is generating popups.

If any additional details are needed, people have also posted in this thread. I have had this ad (with its popup) come up several times already during my visit today.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I've identified where this ad is coming from. Unfortunately it was given as a bonus unit for a very large campaign. This isn't supposed to happen, ANN doesn't allow pop-ups of any sort, but it was a misunderstanding.

If we were to take the pop-up off now, we might have to refund the entirety of a very large campaign that is about 85% complete. I'm still hoping to get the pop-up off ANN asap, but we might be stuck with this one for a few more days.

In the mean time, I've made it perfectly clear to the sales people that it should never have been sold (or given as a bonus unit) in the first place.

They're a great group and I'm pretty sure we won't see it happen again.

-t
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
This ad is not techinically invasive, but the blinking is rather annoying: "Ads by Gorilla Nation (7462) & [System] (2)"; http://ad.yieldmanager.com/click,LyIAAPqwAQDbhQIAgwYBAAAA.AEAAP8A.wD..wAABgGgvwEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAJpVbkUAAAAA,,http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eanimenewsnetwork%2Ecom%2Fbbs%2Fphpbb2%2Fviewforum%2Ephp%3Ff%3D8, [sic], "(c) 2006 YourGiftPro.com".
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 26