• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AMV love.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:58 pm Reply with quote
{I am taking the liberty of making this thread a Sticky. I cannot guarantee that this decision of mine will "stick," however. (no pun intended) Only time will tell. --nbahn}

No one really talks about amvs here and theres no forum for it.

I love amvs and i make some time to time. due to my limited technology they kinda suck.

when it comes to watching i perfer doki doki productions and istiv studio. they done the race and spirt never dies and life outside your apartment.

also i love the amv hell series and put them on my psp all the time.

What are some of your ideas of amvs. i want to do several amvs in a series to all the songs from Rent. also do a amv hellish one i started with F*** you im drunk song and the peppers with random sounds and voice clips. i also want to do foamy amvs using foamy sounds and carc captor sakura.

i recommend amv comedians series and amv hell plusthe two studios i named. any particulr amvs yall enjoy?
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:31 pm Reply with quote
AMVs are a VERY slippery slope for me on a lot of levels. I've made a few, I like them (when they're good), but I'm certainly not a part of the AMV crowd where I know different production teams and such. However I think AMVs and the people involved have gotten worse over the years.

When I watched the infamous AMV Hell, sure some bits were funny, but others I thought were either stupid or just plain odd (AMV Hell requires familiarity with the content both with the anime and audio, and even then they have a lot of "jokes" with no punchline). My favorite bit though is what they did with the Kaoru scene in Evangelion.

I will say that there is one guy who I think is great, and I'm envious of him because I wish I had thought of/done it first. The guy goes by the name of Vorheeza (sp?) and he does the Naruto Shorts AMVs. Now those are funny. In his latest one spoiler[he started off with the scene with Zabuza staring at Haku's dead body, and I thought to myself "damnit another drama video." But then suddenly Zabuza says "Gimme some sugar baby." (the famous Army of Darkness line, a movie which I love) and I started cracking up.] The guy definitley has a good sense of humor and knows how to fit the Naruto scenes with the audio content (I'll get to the flip side of that in a moment). He basically has the AMV Hell thing going, but he does it MUCH better then they do (he's simply more consistent).

Now lately, I've gone to YouTube just to see what people have been making. And I see the same 2/3 series being used page after page after page after page after page af...ter page...af..pa..e you get the idea (2 of those shows obviously being Naruto and Bleach). My problems with these videos (outside of the various Ninja Rap videos to Naruto, enough already we get the joke and it's been done) is that not only do they go for the pure action factor, but usually it's just one fight (or even just one episode) simply recut to the music (and usually the timing isn't even that great). To me it's just annoying and it also shows a certain level of laziness.

Another trend I've been seeing (which is basically taking a note from Vorheeza), is people take a comedian's bit (Dane Cook and Pablo Francisco are 2 that come to mind), and string scenes together along with that audio (people also use clips from shows like Family Guy, no surprise there). My thing with these AMVs is, the creators simply rely on the audio for it to be funny and good. Nevermind that the clip does not fit in any way whatsoever, but hey Dane Cook's funny, and it's a funny bit, so people are gonna laugh. Wrong. AMVs like that only work when the visual works with what's being said.

In my AMV creation experience there's one rule I've learned to follow to the T. Tell a story! When I started out with AMVs, I was sick of all the DBZ action videos that were circulating and I wanted to make my own action video with the series I liked. Well upon watching those videos again a good year or so later, I learned that the "OMFG ACTION!!!" factor isn't good enough. If you're gonna do action, that's fine, but give it some sort of a focus. Pick a song that relates to the overall story, how a character may be feeling during a certain arc, a thematic element, something in relation to the show. AMVs are just like storytelling. You gotta have it all from a rising action to a grand finale. That's what will get the emotion out of people. So now when I make AMVs, the first thought in my head is "What's the point or message I'm trying to make here?" That sort of thing will make the AMV a cut above the rest. Of course when I do action, I still A. try to have some sort of point or B. Make sure that there's enough visual stimulation in the video to basically cause a sensory overload.

About a month ago, I went to this year's Oni-Con looking forward to the AMV contest (and yes I entered). I got extremely angry when I saw the results. Not because I lost, but because I felt that there was complete favoritism involved. Both action and drama related to Cowboy Bebop in some fashion. The action one really annoyed me because I saw nothing particularly special about it (I don't remember the timing be too great), but hey it used Tank! The worst offender was the comedy winner. It was some song to Ouran Host Club. The video barely got a chuckle or a laugh, and if there was one it was because of "oh yeah that scene" not because of how the content was used in the AMV. So the only reason I could think of it for winning was because a lot of people like the show. Vorheeza entered and got tons of laughs, so why he didn't officially win (since one person took 2 categories the judge did declare him a 4th winner of sorts, which made me glad because he deserved it much more) is beyond me. So I think what show you use these days a lot to do with whether or not your AMV will be well recieved. I'm not gonna say which ones I did, but I remember after one of my videos aired one person in the audience said "You know that's actually the best one yet." I was especially surprised since the individual was female.

AMVs are a great way to be creative with anime. Problem is I just see too many bad ones. If you're gonna do an AMV I'm gonna say try to be original and don't copy others. Because the ones that made you want to follow in their footsteps did so because they did just that.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:53 pm Reply with quote
THE one i consider bad are those amvs that still have subs in them. it just ruins it. plus those with crappy footage.

i perfer high end SFX ones using various anime but those are far and few unless you know a lot.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:46 am Reply with quote
This subject was brought up a little while ago, but it died. I'll say that I like AMV's if they have music that I like and a series I like or something very impressive that I haven't seen yet.
deepon05

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:12 am Reply with quote
I tried to make AMV's and they are hard as fudge. Trying to have the certain video match with the lyrics of the song (not the syncing of the character and audio) is a bitch. I still would like to make some when I have the time.

I like the AMVs that are pertaining to a certain character in a series. Im not talking about the main character like Naruto and shit, Im talking about any character from any series. Especially if you got a song that fits the scene in the video. As long as the audio goes with the video scenes.

The only AMV Hell I really liked was the third one. I saw that before I got into anime and was like "man, this shit is pretty cool. I wanna do stuff like that." Before I knew I was hooked on anime and started to marathon as many series as I could find.

AMVs don't have to be uber in my opinion. I think they can have alot of variety when it comes to comedy, its just a matter of how well you can present your video to your audience. If their are people out there hatin on it, fudge em'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Frankman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:25 am Reply with quote
How would you rate Luffy is Leroy Jenkins then? Even if you never heard of the World of Warcraft Leroy Jenkins vid, the work put into this is amazing. First time I saw it I nearly coughed up a lung. Dubbing was great to match the lip movements and the material was spot on.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:11 am Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
How would you rate Luffy is Leroy Jenkins then?

Not nearly as good as this. Razz

I've gotten to the point where I'd rather see someone do more than merely set clips to music. Creators, do more projects along the lines of this. Cool
Dante80

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
AMVs are a great way to be creative with anime. Problem is I just see too many bad ones. If you're gonna do an AMV I'm gonna say try to be original and don't copy others. Because the ones that made you want to follow in their footsteps did so because they did just that.

Nailed it, thanks.
It's true that lately AMV's produced are not as good as in past times. But, there are some rare gems out there...

For example...any true NGE, Akira or Last Exile fan has to love these two babies...(both produced in the last 2 years) Twisted Evil

Prayer for destruction
Malevolent Skies

Salutations from sunny Greece, George F. (and please bear with my bad english).. Cool
m00nshine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:55 am Reply with quote
www.animemusicvideos.org If you like them go there... pretty good community with a lot of downloads. It would be nice to see ANN hold some contests now and then for amv's. See what kind of results are created.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:03 am Reply with quote
m00nshine wrote:
www.animemusicvideos.org If you like them go there... pretty good community with a lot of downloads. It would be nice to see ANN hold some contests now and then for amv's. See what kind of results are created.

They wouldn't be able to for legal reasons. AMVs are a violation of copyright. The anime companies probably wouldn't care. It's just bits and pieces of the show spliced together. However, the music side would be a problem. You usually have full songs as the audio (or in some cases audio bites from comedy shows or movies, but still copyrighted material) and the music companies sure as hell care. AMV.org has already run into some trouble with one of them but managed to compromise by only removing everything that contained songs from three particular artists.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:10 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
m00nshine wrote:

They wouldn't be able to for legal reasons. AMVs are a violation of copyright. The anime companies probably wouldn't care. It's just bits and pieces of the show spliced together. However, the music side would be a problem. You usually have full songs as the audio (or in some cases audio bites from comedy shows or movies, but still copyrighted material) and the music companies sure as hell care. AMV.org has already run into some trouble with one of them but managed to compromise by only removing everything that contained songs from three particular artists.

well i think getting rid of said artist was a good thing. their amv stank up the place and they were sub par bands in my opinion
deepon05

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
The Frankman wrote:

I've gotten to the point where I'd rather see someone do more than merely set clips to music. Creators, do more projects along the lines of this. Cool

Thanks for those links man. You're right those were good AMVs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:43 pm Reply with quote
deepon05 wrote:
Nobuyuki wrote:
The Frankman wrote:

Thanks for those links man. You're right those were good AMVs.

One Piece of the Caribbean

N for Naruto

or

Naruto meets Aladdin
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
deepon05

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
i gotta learn how to do that. those were really good animefreak.
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:47 am Reply with quote
ya, i know, like wonderfully good........and then theres YugiOh the abridged series, for anyone who hasn't seen those, they're awesome, and if anybodies going to look for em on the youtube, then make sure they're from LittleKuriboh because there are a lot of fake ones that just suck, while you're at it watch everything else from LittleKuriboh
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 21