• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: KID Corp Declares Bankruptcy

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
You know I don't like it when any visual novel company goes out, so this makes me a bit sad. Poor KID corp. I guess it was just bad timing...eh.

Edit: because I am in a good mood today and because you asked so nicely I'll change my posts but it doesn't really matter...does it. Though I can't say the same for ANN.

Last edited by omar235 on Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:51 pm; edited 6 times in total
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote
't is a sad day indeed, the anime, though not H, was very good. only one I haven't watched is the first series, but I've seen all of the rest. It's sad to see those who created the games that inspired these series to go bankrupt, I was personally waiting for another OVA, though I guess it might not happen.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:38 pm Reply with quote
What!?... Geez, I should really be paying more attention to the renai game scene, since I didn't know they were near bankruptcy... I have played more than one game developed by Kid. They did not only develop hentai games btw (played the Nurse Witch Komugi video game by them, and although ecchi, it is not hentai. I'm pretty sure there are others too)... This is indeed very bad news to me...
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
What!?... Geez, I should really be paying more attention to the renai game scene, since I didn't know they were near bankruptcy...I have played more than one game developed by Kid. They did not only develop hentai games btw (played the Nurse Witch Komugi video game by them, and although ecchi, it is not hentai)... This is indeed very bad news to me...

I didn't know they were going out of buisness either...this completely blind sided me. Yeah galge were not the only thing they developed but it is the one thing I'll miss...

Last edited by omar235 on Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
=O

I wonder what this means for the other games in the ~Infinity~ series chances of getting brought over to the states?
crilix

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:48 pm Reply with quote
A request:

Fans of visual novels/erotic games prefer to call them visual novels/galge/eroge as do the companies of the respected titles. The terms 'H-game' and 'hentai games' are not acceptable and are a creation of western misunderstanding. Thus I request that the news entry may be corrected as your site is very influential and it may bring even more misunderstanding to the uneducated crowds.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:49 pm Reply with quote
That's a nice pace but to see that they went bankrupt even with that, guess other companies will learn from this.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quote
crilix wrote:
A request:

Fans of visual novels/erotic games prefer to call them visual novels/galge/eroge as do the companies of the respected titles. The terms 'H-game' and 'hentai games' are not acceptable and are a creation of western misunderstanding. Thus I request that the news entry may be corrected as your site is very influential and it may bring even more misunderstanding to the uneducated crowds.

If I could point this out, yes, what you suggested is what the general fans and companies prefer to call them, though the general public would most likely refer to them as ecchi-games (H-games) or hentai (perverted) games, which is basically what they are. The main difference in a galge though is that not all of them are H, but rather just dating sims, though eroge tend to be more, well, erotic, which may or may not include certain scenes (a bathing suit is erotic to some people). Now over time certain titles (such as Air and Kanon) remove the H parts from the games, thus turning it into nothing more than a dating sim with a very good storyline, in which case people would most likely cal it a galge, though the general populous may still refer to it as an H game. Language isn't made by a few people, but rather the majority, and if the majority call it one thing, then that's what it's going to be called most of the time. Just because a few fans don't like it being called that doesn't mean everyone else will stop calling it that, and since most people are more familiar with H-game or hentai-game, and since that is what they tended to produce, it would be more effective to call it that. I'm fairly sure that's why the use of H-game was chosen in the article rather than eroge or galge.
Anath_19

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
crilix wrote:
A request:

If I could point this out, yes, what you suggested is what the general fans and companies prefer to call them, though the general public would most likely refer to them as ecchi-games (H-games) or hentai (perverted) games, which is basically what they are. The main difference in a galge though is that not all of them are H, but rather just dating sims, though eroge tend to be more, well, erotic, which may or may not include certain scenes (a bathing suit is erotic to some people). Now over time certain titles (such as Air and Kanon) remove the H parts from the games, thus turning it into nothing more than a dating sim with a very good storyline, in which case people would most likely cal it a galge, though the general populous may still refer to it as an H game. Language isn't made by a few people, but rather the majority, and if the majority call it one thing, then that's what it's going to be called most of the time. Just because a few fans don't like it being called that doesn't mean everyone else will stop calling it that, and since most people are more familiar with H-game or hentai-game, and since that is what they tended to produce, it would be more effective to call it that. I'm fairly sure that's why the use of H-game was chosen in the article rather than eroge or galge.

My main problem with the use of "h-game" in the report is that it kind of makes it sound like they only make h-games, when that really isn't the case. Though I can't seem to find a source for it, I've heard that they were one of the leading groups that made non-h visual novels (though I have found a source that mentions that they mainly developed Playstation 2 titles, which generally don't have h-content in them (coming from the knowledge that the port process of h-games from PC to PS2 takes out the h-content)). I'd rather prefer the use of "visual novel" there due to this (and having people actually needing to find out what a visual novel is so they can know more about these things wouldn't be a bad thing either in my mind ^^; )

Oh, and while saying that Ever17 is "romance-themed" isn't exactly wrong, it rather takes the focus away from the fact that the game is actually a science-fiction mystery.

And you can take what I say with a grain of salt...I just want to get people to realize that visual novels aren't always about the sex, and I'm quite a little fanboy about the good visual novels (especially Ever17). And I suppose that I should mention that I don't think "OMG this news report is so wrong, it should be changed RIGHT NOW" so much as I just want to share a contrasting viewpoint.

...and that's my two cents worth.

EDIT: And to actually say something about the company, this makes me really sad, as Ever17 is an amazing game, and now it seems like the chances of getting the other games in the Infinity series have just become much smaller. Hopefully we'll find something good to come out of this event.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I agree 100% with Anath, "visual novel" much better represents the game genre than "H-game". A visual novel can be a dating sim, or something like Ever 17 which focuses more on plot, and it can have H, but also sometimes not have H. A "visual novel" can be many things, not just an "H-game".

Quick question while I'm at it... Did Ever 17 have H elements to it in Japan? I know Hirameki edits some of their games, so I was just wondering.

Edit: And this does suck.... I hope something happens so that the rest of the ~Infinity~ series gets brought over... I wouldn't mind Memories Off, either. I hear it's some-how connected to the ~Infinity~ series.
Anath_19

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:

Quick question while I'm at it... Did Ever 17 have H elements to it in Japan? I know Hirameki edits some of their games, so I was just wondering.

As far as I know of, there weren't any H elements in it. I am quite aware that Hirameki edits some of their games, but I remember reading somewhere (or maybe hearing it straight from them at one of their panels) that Ever17 was released here exactly as it was released in Japan. (Though, a quick search on amazon.jp doesn't show any mention of needing to be 18 to purchase the game, so I think that's good enough proof that the game didn't have H elements to begin with.)

Unholy_Nny wrote:

I hear it's some-how connected to the ~Infinity~ series.

They're set in the same universe, but they have no connection beyond that as far as I'm aware of.
Toneloak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:29 pm Reply with quote
If only we could push a little f this bad luck over to 4kids.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Anath_19 wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:

As far as I know of, there weren't any H elements in it. I am quite aware that Hirameki edits some of their games, but I remember reading somewhere (or maybe hearing it straight from them at one of their panels) that Ever17 was released here exactly as it was released in Japan. (Though, a quick search on amazon.jp doesn't show any mention of needing to be 18 to purchase the game, so I think that's good enough proof that the game didn't have H elements to begin with.)

Ah, that's what I thought. But with some of their other games being edited, I was just double checking.

Anath_19 wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:

I hear it's some-how connected to the ~Infinity~ series.

They're set in the same universe, but they have no connection beyond that as far as I'm aware of.

I see.... Well, thanks for filling me in on that info.
crilix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:09 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
Just because a few fans don't like it being called that doesn't mean everyone else will stop calling it that, and since most people are more familiar with H-game or hentai-game, and since that is what they tended to produce, it would be more effective to call it that. I'm fairly sure that's why the use of H-game was chosen in the article rather than eroge or galge.
I'm not so sure about that. Take for example terms like 'manga', 'comic book' and 'graphic novel'. Almost every fan of japanese comic books calls them manga, including the original japanese industry. The western industry uses different terms for japanese comic books, for example if they want to target older audiences, the company will call it a graphic novel, even though both me and you know that every regular fan will call them a manga. And while the term 'graphic novel' isn't as widely spread as 'manga', it is still very much used by professional sites, including AnimeNewsNetwork.com.
In my opinion, the same can be applied to visual novels. Hirameki International calls them 'visual novels', PeachPrincess calls them 'bishoujo games' and 'dating-sim games' (which are also somewhat acceptable), Japanese industry called them many things, including 'visual novel', 'interactive novel', 'sound novel', but definitely not 'hentai games' or 'h-games', though it is true the non-fan population does sometimes call them 'ecchi geemu' which is basically 'h-game'.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:48 am Reply with quote
There's only one small problem with your defense using graphic novel and manga, and that's the meaning of the words. When one refers to manga, everyone who knows what manga means knows exactly what one is talking about, not so with graphic novels. Graphic novel is a broader term than manga, which is probably one of the reasons American companies use the term (other reasons include the companies trying to make it sound more sophisticated). For example, in a manga every page (that's part of the storyline) has art. This may not be the case in a graphic novel, there are examples (though I can't think of any right off the top of my head) of books labeled as graphic novels that would lean more towards an illustrated novel. Also, when one refers to manga, one usually is reffering to something of Japanese or other Asian origin, while when reffering to a graphic novel, this is not always the case. When you say manga, I get the picture of something that you read right to left, however, you say graphic novel and ??? appear above my head cause it can mean left to right or right to left. The reason companies prefer to use these longer winded terms when referring to something is that it makes it sound more important, very much in the same way that toilet paper became bathroom tissue and shell shock became post traumatic stress disorder and a stewerdess became a flight attendant, the companies and major parts of the media, both online and off. The major companies and online and offline media are using these fluffier terms to draw more consumers/readers. Which is more marketable, "Come buy our new dating-sim XXXYYY," or "Come buy our new perverted game XXXYYY?" I'm sure most people who see dating-sim might think it's perverted, then again it's only a dating-sim of which not all are perverted, but once you say "This game is perverted," that just tells everyone exactly what kind of game it is. More people are willing to purchase something that has fluffly language, dating-sim sounds fluffier than the jagged perverted game, the latter sounds like it's going to jump out at you and bite your head off....... Anyway, but that's the reason the companies prefer to use general terms such as those, the other, being somewhat obvious, is that not all dating-sims are perverted, but and perverted games are dating sims or something of the like (unless you're talking about the coffee pot patch). Either way we look at it, it's up to the person who wrote the article if he/she should change it, and this could really go on for quite a while. Personally, I think we should just throw out all of the fluffly language all together and replace it with the old, jagged language, but some people are just afraid of their own language and how others perceive them when they use the rougher side of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3