• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Prince of Tennis, MÄR Coming to Toonami

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RezSav

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:05 am Reply with quote
I really wished Hikaru would've aired on Toonami also, but I'll take what I can get.
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:22 am Reply with quote
Looks like its 'bye-bye' Dub Piece....

Last edited by TakinawaTonfa on Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:23 am Reply with quote
Excellent! These two must have gotten good enough ratings on the Jetstream thingie to justify being broadcast.

Although I'm enjoying the PoT manga, I'm not sure the anime is going to be better or worse for being animated. Seeing the first ep. on Jetstream, I was somewhat nonplussed. I know from the manga that the story gets more interesting. It's just that it was the execution that bothered me, not the story. It felt... unpolished, or maybe just had too low of a budget. But I'll gladly hold off judgment until I see more.
MissAsako

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quote
I think I just died.

Don't get me wrong. I've LOVED PoT for a long time, but the dub is just terrible. I know the last thing we need around here is another person complaining about a dub, but I don't think PoT will do great on the air. I mean, how many boys (or girls) would love to watch a show about tennis? I see why Naruto is so appealing, but I can kind of see PoT not getting a whole lot of attention. :[
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think I just died.

Don't get me wrong. I've LOVED PoT for a long time, but the dub is just terrible. I know the last thing we need around here is another person complaining about a dub, but I don't think PoT will do great on the air. I mean, how many boys (or girls) would love to watch a show about tennis? I see why Naruto is so appealing, but I can kind of see PoT not getting a whole lot of attention. :[

I dunno, I think it'll do pretty well. I mean, I could imagine Hikaru no Go tanking on TV. But Tennis is something more familiar to viewers.

As far as dubs go, I think PoT and MAR both have decent dubs. Certainly a helluva lot better than One Piece....
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote
TakinawaTonfa wrote:
Looks like its 'bye-bye' Dub Piece....

Anyone know what's going to happen to it? Is 4kids going to try and move it to another network where it will die again or will they just give up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Bye-bye One Piece and Bobobo. You each never had a chance. (Or in OP's case, at least the 4Kids version never had a chance...)

TakinawaTonfa wrote:
As far as dubs go, I think PoT and MAR both have decent dubs. Certainly a helluva lot better than One Piece....

That's true that they are better than the One Piece dub, but that doesn't make them any better. They're still both really bad, so we're going to see many more complaints. I also don't think either of these series will be particularly succesful, and if Cartoon Network aired Hikaru no Go, we'd just get that many more dub complaints and the show would unfortunately be just as unsuccesful. In any case, at least Cartoon Network is trying new things...I just hope a bad dub won't completely ruin CN's impressions of shows that aren't solely fighting-shounen, though PoT is still firmly in shounen territory (mind you, if I'm woefully off base, please correct me on that part, since I don't watch or read PoT).

And britannicamoore, I think the One Piece anime is dead in this country. I wouldn't expect to see it on TV again. The DVD releases will probably continue, but they're still the same crappy TV version.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:

That's true that they are better than the One Piece dub, but that doesn't make them any better. They're still both really bad, so we're going to see many more complaints. I also don't think either of these series will be particularly succesful, and if Cartoon Network aired Hikaru no Go, we'd just get that many more dub complaints and the show would unfortunately be just as unsuccesful. In any case, at least Cartoon Network is trying new things...

And britannicamoore, I think the One Piece anime is dead in this country. I wouldn't expect to see it on TV again. The DVD releases will probably continue, but they're still the same crappy TV version.

That's...even though i wanted it to happen its still sad. Since they are going to put MAR and PoT on the air maybe they could re-dub it?

I'm sure this is just a navie thought on my part.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:19 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
I really wished Hikaru would've aired on Toonami also, but I'll take what I can get.

Hey!
Brakus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Without comparing it to the Japanese dub, why is the English dub of The Prince of Tennis so bad?
arxane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Whatever people think about the dubs for MAR and PoT (I think their serviceable at the least), people should be happy that the shows are airing on Toonami, since it makes DVD releases (which we still haven't heard from) that much more likely.
ganami

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Even if somepeople do hate the PoT English dub. I'm sure the dvd will soon follow, then you can watch a sub version of PoT and everyone should be happy.
mmangelly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy the Mar, Prince of Tennis, and Hikaru No Go dubs. I think it is pretty exciting that these will be on Cartoon Network. Maybe this means we will soon have Prince of Tennis and Mar DVDs, now that would make me truly happy.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Brakus wrote:
Without comparing it to the Japanese dub, why is the English dub of The Prince of Tennis so bad?

Mostly it's the writing -- the Viz manga version completely butchered the original material and unfortuntely they carried the same problems over to the anime. Names are changed, honourifics forgotten, personalities are blander and nowhere near as compelling (or cracktasticly delicious ;- ).

With the voices themselves, from the little I've seen so far they've (mostly) done their best to capture the personalities and quirks of the characters, but some are just so off it is both painful and ridiculous. Ryuzaki-sensei should NOT sound like a 20 year old, for one thing. God, its just creepy. *shudder*

I know 'purists' like to go on for ages about honourifcs, but it really is so important in a school setting, because it describes relationships far better than a simple nickname or title could ever convey. Calling Momo-chan senpai simply 'Taka' does not tell us that he not only wants to be on friendly terms with his kouhai, but also retain the authority and esteem of an upperclassman. Calling someone by their first name shows how close a relationship is, which is why only a few people should do it, not the entire cast.

But that's just nitpicking, I suppose. Embarassed

The personalities just aren't conveyed as well in the dub, which is all I really care about. But as others have pointed out, the fact that this is airing on tv hopefully means a dvd release is planned as well, which definitely makes me a happy TeniPuri fan. Smile

Now, if only we could convince someone like Media Blasters to release the musicals...*giggles* Wink
Aira

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:38 pm Reply with quote
What great news!!! Am I the only one that thinks that MAR is a fun anime to watch?? It has its funny and serious sides, and some great action scenes as well. Not to mention that Shinji is in it Very Happy. I hope it does well in its time slot. If not, I'll still continue to watch it on Jetstream!

aira
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4