• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Cancels One Piece Production

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brakus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote
Start spreadin' the news. Things may be looking up, ever so slightly, for an uncut One Piece release (with a proper English dub) in the States.
Nionel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:29 am Reply with quote
No more DubPiece? Huzzah!
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:35 am Reply with quote
Hehe, K-F knew way before it got here. And I see that the news was so awesome, it had to be posted twice. Oh yes, this is a good day for One Piece fans. Hopefully, a dub company that can actually respect it's fanbase, or at least to not completely feck it up.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:35 am Reply with quote
odd, i see 2 news posts. identical.

no more dub? what about the sub? any more dvds?
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:37 am Reply with quote
4 Kids never planned on releasing a sub version. Also, know this, 4 Kids will still hold on to the license until 2009. Beyond the episodes that were already dubbed, no more will be produced beyond that. We have 3 more years until we see One Piece move on somewhere else hopefully.
LightYagami

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:38 am Reply with quote
I'd personally like to know what the reason behind 4-kids decision to stop production of one piece? Also, even though the production has been canceled, doesn't 4-kids still own the license? If so, can 4-kids charge whatever they want to a competing company to transfer the license(I'm not entirely sure if thats how the process works)?
Crawly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:46 am Reply with quote
Just because they're not dubbing any more doesn't really mean there's hope for an uncut release. The license is still theirs until it expires. 4Kids has no desire to do uncut home video releases as they don't make the kind of profit the company is used to. They could sublicense the series to Viz or Funi, but there isn't anything in their history to indicate they'd do this even though there is market for it.

I prefer to be pessimistic about these types of things. Until the license expires and another company comes up with the megabucks to license it, at least. And since we know Funi was part of the bidding war over it...
Tsukento

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:51 am Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
They could sublicense the series to Viz or Funi, but there isn't anything in their history to indicate they'd do this even though there is market for it

Or they could just sell the license to someone else, as they've done with Pokemon being sold over to Pokemon USA. Best bet would be to e-mail other dubbing companies and nicely inform them of what has occured with One Piece (don't go about bashing 4Kids in the e-mail) and urge them to try and make a compromise in obtaining the license of the series.

I'd say FUNimation is our best bet.
smoochy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Jesus.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Hope that Viz takes it... they'd treat it right... (and I'd get free DVDs 'cause my mom works there...) but then agian anywhere is good... I think one of the reasions was dub bashing... every you see dub bahsing... One Piece fanfsites, froums, fanfics (got to put in a shameless plug here... my fanfic One Piece/Family Guy crossover Family Piece there are two chapters where thye are kidanped by 4kids then Stewie leads the Straw Hats an assult on 4kids... qwith possbly one the weirdest dpetions of Al Kahn ever... "What me cencor") and a lot of othere places... I jsut hope that 4kids does sell it...
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to take the show out to pasture and shoot it. it seems someone esle beat me to it.

As I said in a post yesterday even though it has finnaly died its still really sad it never got a chance to meet itrs true potenial. We probably would have had Pirates and Ninjas running around.

Oh well. maybe one day someone esle can try again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Area88

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
So is 4Kids now going to sit on the license until it expires?
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
I'd say FUNimation is our best bet.

I agree didn't Funimation also handle some of 4Kids properties that were to be release uncut, I am thinking Yu-Gi-Oh but I can't remember if that was the specific title.

Delta

P.S. I too see the same news post twice, but they have different amounts of discuss this new post.
spider-moose

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Somebody out there loves me!

They probably end it at those episodes cause they get too violent for their editing staff to handle lol

Like Kohza getting shot repeatly in the body Razz
Tsukento

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I agree didn't Funimation also handle some of 4Kids properties that were to be release uncut, I am thinking Yu-Gi-Oh but I can't remember if that was the specific title.

Both Yu-Gi-Oh! and Shaman King were available uncut at one point with FUNi releasing them on DVD. If I remember correctly, it was pretty much a joint project that 4Kids axed. Mr. Kahn claims it "competed" with their edited DVDs.

Also, I think the primary reason 4Kids dropped One Piece was pretty much the fact that it wasn't doing well to begin with. When you look at One Piece in the US, there's really not a whole lot of marketing going on for it. Toys were available until stores sent them off to bargain bins. The games have been lackluster and often highly criticised on voice acting, especially from non-fans. The DVDs are only available in edited format.

What else is there aside from the manga, which Viz handles? Most other shonen anime have clothing, school supplies, figurines, unedited DVDs, and so forth. One Piece really wasn't marketed properly at all, and 4Kids was most likely losing money from producing a show they hardly even advertised in the slightest bit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12