• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why are people selling this on Ebay?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BWSUQ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:40 am Reply with quote
I was just watching Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and the fansub group mentioned someone was selling fansubs on Ebay. So I was browsing ebay and came across this...Haha.

[URL removed since it's a bootleg -TK]

I didn't know www.google.com cost money, but supposedly getting info on a website to download free anime is something you can sell. This is just one of many "interesting" deals going on. My question is what is your experience of people selling fansubs and this kind of stuff on ebay, and do they get away with it?
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:51 am Reply with quote
BWSUQ wrote:
My question is what is your experience of people selling fansubs and this kind of stuff on ebay

People are very gullible, or just plain stupid (something I already knew though). Not the person selling it, he's just being an a-hole, but for someone to actually bid on them...

Quote:
and do they get away with it?

Unfortunately they do sometimes.

Edit:

Quote:
What you bidding is a info on a WEBSITE to get Naruto For FREE

Yet he shows pictures of Bleach?... nevermind, not worth my time...

Also, I would mention that this is a link to a bootleg, but honestly, I hope nobody here would actually fall for something like this...

Edit2: Also, for anyone who is reporting this (which I know there is someone who did or will, before even checking, since people seem to be reporting everything for some reason as of late), I do think this topic is relevent. Only problem I see here is the link, nothing to warrent a lock imo. I've noticed there are, imo, a lot of reasonable topics that are being locked lately for some reason. Just wanted to have my say on this. Maybe it should be in its own thread if needed...

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:15 am; edited 3 times in total
BWSUQ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:57 am Reply with quote
I almost registered just so that I could have emailed the bidder and given him the website myself...or just told him to type in google: bleach and naruto. But, they wanted a credit card number to verify my identity, and it wasn't worth it. I'm curious as to which website the bidder will give, and if he will explain what bittorent is.

Well, anyways, I just saw a sale of one piece with every episode and movie (1-288) and for bleach (1-106)...even though they were just run less than a week ago. I guess there is a quick turnaround on DVD's in the East.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:26 am Reply with quote
BWSUQ wrote:
Well, anyways, I just saw a sale of one piece with every episode and movie (1-288) and for bleach (1-106)...even though they were just run less than a week ago. I guess there is a quick turnaround on DVD's in the East.
Now you know why it's called organised crime. Wink
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:55 am Reply with quote
Like Mohawk said, it's organiz(s)ed crime, and it's basically a business preying on people who buy stuff on ebay and don't know that they can get the same fansubs for free online. My advice, don't buy anything off ebay unless you know it's a verified R1 release (or R2 if that strikes your fancy), that way you won't get bootlegs or DVDs made from fansubs.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:52 am Reply with quote
Not everything in ebay is based on lies and deceit. I sell honest anime on ebay from time to time but these days everyone suspects I'm up to no good like all these other yahoos and even dirt cheap opening bids go untouched. I wish there was another way to sell anime to fellow fans. I'd even pay a small fee to places like ANN if they would allow me to list whatever I have for sale. Then if anyone ever felt they got screwed they could just complain in the retail section or something. Oh well, I'm sure that's a long way off, if ever.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:37 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Not everything in ebay is based on lies and deceit.
This is very true, although you have to look very hard to find the legit anime on eBay. It can be a great source for hard-to-find items and great bargains if you're careful. I picked up the LE version of the first season of Inuyasha off of eBay for about half the price in a store and just recently I found the LE art box for Ai Yori Aoshi and got that.

When you're looking for things that are-out of-print or sold-out limited editions, about the only thing you can do is search on eBay for them if you can't go to conventions. (And convention dealers can sell bootlegs too. Sad )

I don't think ANN will ever allow full-scale buying and selling, but it would be nice if someone would set up a separate auction site or something for legitimate anime.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
daxomni wrote:
Not everything in ebay is based on lies and deceit.
This is very true, although you have to look very hard to find the legit anime on eBay. It can be a great source for hard-to-find items and great bargains if you're careful. I picked up the LE version of the first season of Inuyasha off of eBay for about half the price in a store and just recently I found the LE art box for Ai Yori Aoshi and got that.

When you're looking for things that are-out of-print or sold-out limited editions, about the only thing you can do is search on eBay for them if you can't go to conventions. (And convention dealers can sell bootlegs too. Sad )

I don't think ANN will ever allow full-scale buying and selling, but it would be nice if someone would set up a separate auction site or something for legitimate anime.
That will always be the problem with dealing on the internet. It's hard to tell the wolves among the sheep. Ebay puts up a good front, but unless it's the government threating them, they only give lip service to any problems as long as they get their cut of the action.
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I would only buy anime off ebay if the photo was of the actual anime DVD in their actual home. (And also a good feedback etc.) I know this isn't fail safe, but most of the ones which are bootlegs are obviously bootlegs with either stock photos of the series or photos of the obviously bootleg DVDs.

The amount of effort it all takes though is a pain really. You need to check their photos in detail, cross reference with the official ones and check all the details.

However, that said, every time I have tried to find something on ebay the only stuff I can find now is bootlegs or dubious at best and so I don't even think of checking nowadays.

It's a shame really, because there must be some people out there who would like to sell their old anime but simply can't due to a lack of opportunity.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:07 pm Reply with quote
BWSUQ wrote:
I was just watching Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and the fansub group mentioned someone was selling fansubs on Ebay. So I was browsing ebay and came across this...Haha.

[URL removed since it's a bootleg -TK]

I didn't know www.google.com cost money, but supposedly getting info on a website to download free anime is something you can sell. This is just one of many "interesting" deals going on. My question is what is your experience of people selling fansubs and this kind of stuff on ebay, and do they get away with it?

It's not for gullible people as much as it is for people who simply don't know how to utilize the Internet. Stuff like this won't ever "sell" as the current "mostly computer illiterate" generation disappears.

For those informed, the simple solution is to boycott ebay and let it die!

/anti-ebay
coffee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Well I always see a whole bunch of scanlations for sale there, so I'm not suprised to see something along the likes of selling fansubs, or a bittorent website address. I used to buy anime DVD's and other associated merchandise off ebay (only after very careful analysis of the auction and seller), but I don't anymore because it has become a real hassle when I search for something and get 80+ hits for scanlations and fansub "box sets". Plus it's a lot easier to buy off TRSI or Amazon and know I'm getting the real thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nomigid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I do not like buying these things, but sometimes, that is the only way to get them.
I am still waiting for the 2002 version of Kanon, and now there is a 2006 version of Kanon.
One thing I always do is,if I buy one of these things, and I like it(I would buy it at the store, if I could), I always put it on my list of Anime to buy IF it ever gets licensed!
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:11 pm Reply with quote
People can sell the stupidest shit on eBay. I've heard of people buying PS3's in the tens of thousands of dollars (the highest I've heard sold was 17k US). I've heard of a guy who sold an air guitar for $50. And yes, by air guitar I do mean a guitar made of air that you pretend to play. Possibly the dumbest thing I've seen sold was some guy who sold his cat's toenails for about $1.50.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Nomigid wrote:
I do not like buying these things, but sometimes, that is the only way to get them.
I am still waiting for the 2002 version of Kanon, and now there is a 2006 version of Kanon.
One thing I always do is,if I buy one of these things, and I like it(I would buy it at the store, if I could), I always put it on my list of Anime to buy IF it ever gets licensed!

Download them for free from bittorrent, or buy the R2s straight from Japan, just don't give money to bootlegs or fansub sellers!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:14 pm Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
People can sell the stupidest shit on eBay.

Yes.

Quote:
Possibly the dumbest thing I've seen sold was some guy who sold his cat's toenails for about $1.50.

How about this? $157.50 for a french fry... Although, it is a very unique one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2