• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Canadian Maid Cafe

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:00 am Reply with quote
AMAZING. Chinese Japanese-style maid cafe. Canada is officially my favorite country, just for that genius.

Dunno if it'd really be hugely popular stateside, but I guess it's targeted for a niche audience in Chinatown. I know some people are a litle offended by maid cafes, but I think it'd be hysterical to have one in a US Chinatown XDDD
RZetlin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I mentioned about this maid cafe a few weeks ago on several anime forums. (Megatokyo, Animeondvd)

What the Toronto Star Online article doesn't show are the Maid Outfits.

Luckily I did pick up the newspaper on the day the review was published, so I was able to take a scan.

genman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:04 pm Reply with quote
My wife says that Victorian Maids are cooler than French ones. The whole goth-loli thing is about Victorian style not French style...
Wing_Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote
This place is actually really close to me ^^;;; yet i still haven't been there yet. I'm just not really attracted to it. Just kinda curious.

I'm still waiting for Maid Cafe's with males Anime hyper

If only i was rich, that would be the first thing i'd do. Open up tons of maid cafe's ^^
omar235

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:32 pm Reply with quote
What would you call a male maid (butler) cafe? I know there are some in Japan. Anyways it looks like I will be taking a trip once I get to D.C. this Christmas...eh. Laughing
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:55 pm Reply with quote
That place is actually fairly close to where I live. But Markham is quite different from actually being Toronto, though Toronto is probably one of the only cities in Canada most people would actually recognize the name of.
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:20 am Reply with quote
not too far away from me, but meeh, I don't know any one who would go to a maid cafe! lol , can't blame them! and really don't wanna visit it on my own.
tinlunlau

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:31 am Reply with quote
yeah...i've been there before.
the food is ...uh...questionable. the service was okay as long as you spoke their mother tongue. getting service from them while speaking in english is a whole other hurdle. luckily for me, i can speak mandarin.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:04 pm Reply with quote
tinlunlau wrote:
the food is ...uh...questionable. the service was okay as long as you spoke their mother tongue. getting service from them while speaking in english is a whole other hurdle. luckily for me, i can speak mandarin.
Food's questionable? Well, the menu looked good when I checked out the website (assuming its prepared properly), although my mandarin is none too good. I think maid cafes could enjoy some popularity in the U.S., but only in large cities as of yet. People would have to get over the weird factor first.
tinlunlau

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:24 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
tinlunlau wrote:
Food's questionable? Well, the menu looked good when I checked out the website (assuming its prepared properly), although my mandarin is none too good. I think maid cafes could enjoy some popularity in the U.S., but only in large cities as of yet. People would have to get over the weird factor first.

yeah but have you actually gone in there and eat?
some of the food tastes alright but the fried rice seem very dry. i'd know since i eat fried rice every chance i get to and believe me, it is very often. their drinks, on the other hand, are fine by me. i've only gone there a couple of times and had a milk tea on both occasions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Self Gloss...

I wrote up a review of a maid cafe in Thailand for anyone who's curious about these things. It's not terribly fancy and there are no photos in the review itself but there is a link the official website where you can see what it looks like.

Click Here to See the Review

Enjoy! Wink
basilimux

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:13 pm Reply with quote
My friend and I went there a couple months ago and I'm going to agree with tinlunlau. Going there for the food is not a good idea, especially when there are other much better restaurants around the area. It's more for the experience.

But I wouldn't mind going there again for drinks.
ShootYouStars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quote
You know what? If a maid cafe shows up in my town when I'm looking for a part-time job, I'm going to work there. Maid outfits are pretty, and it sounds like a fun experience. Not as a full-time, this-is-my-life job, but during college or high-school for some extra money.... I so would.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:49 pm Reply with quote
ShootYouStars wrote:
You know what? If a maid cafe shows up in my town when I'm looking for a part-time job, I'm going to work there. Maid outfits are pretty, and it sounds like a fun experience. Not as a full-time, this-is-my-life job, but during college or high-school for some extra money.... I so would.

You seriously wouldn't mind being gawked at by lonely and deprived clientele? Then again, according to this post you're only thirteen and according to this post your town 'sucks', so I don't exactly see this happening any time soon. Also, just for the record, I've come across literally hundreds of maids over the years and most of their outfits were extremely plain, even in Europe and Asia. Only fake maids actually have cute outfits.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

Dunno if it'd really be hugely popular stateside, but I guess it's targeted for a niche audience in Chinatown. I know some people are a litle offended by maid cafes, but I think it'd be hysterical to have one in a US Chinatown XDDD

Well, y'know, we Americans are stuck up A-holes in that regard over such things. But then again, we thrive on controversy.

Well, in their case, controversy helps. I present: Heart Attack Grill; where thiers on-site "Nurses" just in case you have the aforementioned heart-attack.

http://www.heartattackgrill.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_Attack_Grill
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2