• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Voltron Dub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zillion29

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:38 pm Reply with quote
This review makes the cardinal sin that anime reviews can make: overestimating the product.
Go Lion / Voltron was a crap budget program originally intended to sell toys to 5 and 6 year old Japanese boys. Then you add the "dumbing down" necessary to sell those same toys to 9 and 10 year old American boys and you've got something truly crappy on your hands.
But some smart-ass 3rd gen 21st century anime reviewer with unrealistic criteria makes me want to tear my hair out. You forget that these shows had terrible budgets and only displayed the minimum fit and finish necessary to sell a toy line. They weren't meant to have gripping plots that would be marvelled over 20+ years down the road.
That said, I LOVE this show and can't just let that review slide.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
rocklobster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:36 am Reply with quote
I can not let you dis the show that got me and so many others into anime without weighing in. Yes, Voltron is cheesy. But so is Speed Racer. And you know what? Without shows like these, lots of us wouldn't be the rabid fans we are today. Pidge and Allura were my favorite characters and I will definitely buy this. Okay, so I'm blinded by my childhood nostalgia, but we can't ignore shows like this that initiated so many fans. Or discredit them. So, put a sock in it, reviewer. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Strephon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:56 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
I sort of disagree with this. The Nostalgia factor is something you take into account when decided how much weight to give a review. It shouldn't be in the review itself. A review should review the show. If it will only appeal to people who watched it when it first aired then it's probably not a good show and that should be reflected in the review.

While you have a point there, the trouble I see with this review is that it's basically a string of insults with no attempt made to contextualize the things it's complaining about. Not that I think anything said in this review is inaccurate per se, but it's kind of sad to see someone expending that much effort to put in its place a series that was never meant to be Shakespeare in the first place. It's like spouting off on a childrens' ABC book for its lack of plot and wooden characterization.

Did the show succeed in its original purpose, which was to entertain (and/or market to) young viewers? Obviously, or no one would remember it today. Is the DVD set succeeding in its purpose, which is to cater to the nostalgia of those viewers? Again, obviously so, or it wouldn't have been Media Blasters' biggest seller. Anything else is really beside the point. Going off on it like this is like kicking over a sand castle and then taunting the builder about its poor strucutural stability; it may be accurate, and it may make you feel big, but it's not going to impress anyone else.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I just wish this would finally shut up all the idiots screaming up and down that "Power Rangers is teh gayz0rz because it ripd of teh V017R0N!!!" when 1. Super Sentai predated Golion by over a decade and 2. Golion was hardly "the first and the best"; it was the miserable swan song of a dying era, one that has come back roaring (no pun intended) to life with the likes of Yuushaou GaoGaiGar (something I can only hope comes to mainstream television to rectify the mistakes of generations past).

...Too bad it won't shut them up. -_-;
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
I just wish this would finally shut up all the idiots screaming up and down that "Power Rangers is teh gayz0rz because it ripd of teh V017R0N!!!" when 1. Super Sentai predated Golion by over a decade and 2. Golion was hardly "the first and the best"; it was the miserable swan song of a dying era, one that has come back roaring (no pun intended) to life with the likes of Yuushaou GaoGaiGar (something I can only hope comes to mainstream television to rectify the mistakes of generations past).

...Too bad it won't shut them up. -_-;

Hey, I'm an anime fan that got raised in that era and I'm proud to state that I'm a Giant Robot fan. hear me roar! Evil or Very Mad

And to ANN, is this a review?!, it;'s hardly objective and makes me think that the reviewer hasn't watched an anime show older than 5~6 years old, nostalgia is a big part of the charm of Voltron, the writing won't win any awards and Hundred Beast King GoLion wan't the most awesome piece of anime that came out of japan in the early 80's but Voltron was a product of it's age, had a synergy that made it a hit and remembered since it's original showing just like Battle of the Planets, Speed Racer, Robotech and Star Blazers raised anime fans in the days of old. a reviewer that does not have a sense of the history of anime can't be called a reviewer and as long as we still exist we won't shut up!

people will still remember Voltron, Will the people remember whatever CG filled, cookie cutter, yuri-fied, moe-filled piece of Me too anime that popping out of Japan these days... I think not Rolling Eyes Confused Sad

Last edited by Vicserr on Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:17 pm Reply with quote
While I can't really fault the reviewer for what he had to say, he was right afterall, I have to agree with the others on that it wasn't really reviewed with the right mindset. You can't go all gung-ho into a review about a 20+ year old show created to sell toys to first graders like it was being marketed as the next Gankutsuou or Grave of the Fireflies. Yes, the animation is old, the writing doesn't make much sense, and the music is repetitive, but it was extremely effective at what it was meant to do back in its day. It's like reviewing an NES game under today's standards, how could it possibly do well? Compared to other shows of the 80's of similar mechanics like Transformers, GI Joe, Thundercats, or He-man, Voltron isn't that bad. Hell, compared Dragonball Z, Pokemon, Digimon, or Yugioh, Voltron isn't that bad either. Myself, I'm looking forward to volume three.

By the way, why does it say "Dub." in the title as if there was any other version of Voltron (in English)?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

By the way, why does it say "Dub." in the title as if there was any other version of Voltron (in English)?

Emerje

Probably so whomever reviews Hundred Beast King GoLion can put SUB on the title Razz
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:04 am Reply with quote
I pretty much only liked the show for the toys. Then they released that car sequel, and I just stopped caring. I think I was more into Thundercats, Silverhawks, and like Justin, Transformers before they made Rodimus the head of the Autobots. (Actually, that didn't really bother me, until they brought Optimus back to life. That's when it became nothing but a cash-in, including that Furry(I mean Beast) Wars crap.)

Ryu: Sentai might have preceded Voltron, but it's pretty obvious that Saban was trying to cash in on the anime series with their version of the Power Rangers.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

Probably so whomever reviews Hundred Beast King GoLion can put SUB on the title Razz

I had thought that, but Voltron isn't GoLion. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Vicserr wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

I had thought that, but Voltron isn't GoLion. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Emerje

Yeah, but GoLion won't get a dub (and GoLion is the video source for Lion Force Voltron, just as DaiRugger XV is the source for vehicle Voltron) so this assertion is correct Smile

Last edited by Vicserr on Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:39 pm Reply with quote
zillion29 wrote:
This review makes the cardinal sin that anime reviews can make: overestimating the product.
Go Lion / Voltron was a crap budget program originally intended to sell toys to 5 and 6 year old Japanese boys. Then you add the "dumbing down" necessary to sell those same toys to 9 and 10 year old American boys and you've got something truly crappy on your hands.
But some smart-ass 3rd gen 21st century anime reviewer with unrealistic criteria makes me want to tear my hair out. You forget that these shows had terrible budgets and only displayed the minimum fit and finish necessary to sell a toy line. They weren't meant to have gripping plots that would be marvelled over 20+ years down the road.

I agree with you one hundred and fifty percent my friend. I too am sick and tired of anime fans nowadays bashing on anything that wasn't made two years ago. Sure, like everyone has said, it is cheezy. But that's the deciding factor about the show. It's not supposed to be deep, but entertaining on that base level of we like big ass giant robots beating the snot out of equally big ass monsters/robots. Now to the reviewer, That's cool if you didn't particularly like the product, but at least recognize that there was something that hooked thousands of kids back in '84 to this show, and apparently there was something to keep them remembering it 22 years later as well. Your review stunk. All you practically did was bash on it. This is supposed to be a professional news and reviews site and, unfortunately, all the reviews I've ever read on here beat around the bush, the reviewers try and sound intelligent when all they are is just a bunch of killjoys who can't enjoy anything. I don't normally read reviews on here for that very reason but, just happening by the site I saw the link for this review and, instinctively I knew that reviewing an old product, that you guys couldn't be objective. With all that said, I think you guys should honestly stop reviewing anime if you can't be objective. Leave that to the good guys like animeondvd.com or ign.com. I wholeheartedly agree with Zillion29, I'm sick of modern anime fans and their whiny psuedo-intellectual BS. Get over yourselves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Vicserr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
LeoKnight25 wrote:
zillion29 wrote:

I agree with you one hundred and fifty percent my friend. I too am sick and tired of anime fans nowadays bashing on anything that wasn't made two years ago. Sure, like everyone has said, it is cheezy. But that's the deciding factor about the show. It's not supposed to be deep, but entertaining on that base level of we like big ass giant robots beating the snot out of equally big ass monsters/robots. Now to the reviewer, That's cool if you didn't particularly like the product, but at least recognize that there was something that hooked thousands of kids back in '84 to this show, and apparently there was something to keep them remembering it 22 years later as well. Your review stunk. All you practically did was bash on it. This is supposed to be a professional news and reviews site and, unfortunately, all the reviews I've ever read on here beat around the bush, the reviewers try and sound intelligent when all they are is just a bunch of killjoys who can't enjoy anything. I don't normally read reviews on here for that very reason but, just happening by the site I saw the link for this review and, instinctively I knew that reviewing an old product, that you guys couldn't be objective. With all that said, I think you guys should honestly stop reviewing anime if you can't be objective. Leave that to the good guys like animeondvd.com or ign.com. I wholeheartedly agree with Zillion29, I'm sick of modern anime fans and their whiny psuedo-intellectual BS. Get over yourselves.

Yeah this kid (I can't call him a reviewer) has no respect for classic properties.

"Oh Look this isn't computer animated, doesn't have loli girls showing yuri tendencies, it's gritty looking and with a simple plot, this is "crap" ",

See how show like First Gundam, Dunbine and other get tossed aside by assine people just like this kid, show that have more plot in one episode than entires seasons of most of the crap thats coming out of Japan at this time.

and to the kid, read this and get schooled in how to write a proper review. because with all the woirk MB put on remastering Voltron this kid clasifies it an F Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Vicserr on Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:

and to the kid, read this and get schooled in how to write a proper review

Is there a rolleyes in the world big enough for this condescending crap?

Mr. Kimlinger has no need to be "schooled" in how to write a "proper" review, especially by a butt-hurt fanboy who can't handle negative reviews of things he likes without whining and crying and tossing around big-boy adjectives like "objectivity" and calling the reviewer and the entire site's credibility into question. If you can't just admit that you disagree with the review, then you have some issues.

But then I knew this review would provoke a response like this.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Vicserr wrote:

Mr. Kimlinger has no need to be "schooled" in how to write a "proper" review, especially by a butt-hurt fanboy who can't handle negative reviews of things he likes without whining and crying and tossing around big-boy adjectives like "objectivity" and calling the reviewer and the entire site's credibility into question. If you can't just admit that you disagree with the review, then you have some issues.

Well, I didn't question ANN, just the reviewer, but that why I basically hang mostly at the "other place". We aren't saying he's got his facts wrong, it's his "This is utter crap and you shouldn't touch it with a 20 foot pole" from the get go delivery.. I can't imagine how he would rate Astro Boy 63(What a piece of Crap, this is in Black and White Anime dazed ) or Speed Racer Confused

Quote:

and then he asks why this blew up like that Confused

Last edited by Vicserr on Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Vicserr wrote:

You're not exactly the best person to be talking about condescending. If I recall, you're the guy that comes on and jumps all over everyone for not agreeing with your guys' review. Objectivity is what journalism is all about and sadly it's lacking in most of the major news bodies out there today, including this site. If someone wants to call the credibility of something on this site into question, you can't do a damn thing about it besides ban that user...then how would that make you look? Like a "butt-hurt" fanboy trying to flex his muscles because he runs a supposedly big name anime site. Just admit that your reviews are crap and move on. No need to get defensive about it. Just come to terms with the truth and get on with your life. I've noticed something about you Zac, that everytime you come on, you're busting someone's chops about something. Who pisses in your coffee every morning? I mean, for god sakes you sound like a spoiled brat because someone called the supposed "credibility" of this site into question. As I said, I'll take my time over to Animeondvd or IGN. At least they're professionally written reviews.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4