• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Report invasive ads here (archived)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riyousha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Is it me or did I just see that banner ad that said...

Quote:
WARNING: THE DCOULD BE THE SCARIEST THING YOU'VE SEEN! DON'T CLICK IF YOU'RE UNDER 18!

If so, could you prebent that banner ad again. Because I just saw it today.

{Semi-OT: @ "DON'T CLICK IF YOU'RE UNDER 18!", I think it would've said DON'T CLICK IF "YOU'RE UNDER 15!" because I'm 15 and I can handle scary monster pics (except a scary demonic pic from the Jessica Alba screamer ).}
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, but I'm not going to nag Gorilla Nation regarding minor issues like flashing ads and ads that (jokingly) say "don't click unless you're over 18" (or whatever the exact quote is).

If I nag them for every little thing, they won't take me seriously when there's an important issue...

Speaking of which, the Pop-ups were removed earlier this week. So if you get them again, please let me know.

-t
d.yaro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:57 am Reply with quote
Not sure if this is related to an invasive ad or not since there's no telling what the purposes of the action resulting in this timeout error message is:

operation timed out when attempting to contact www.ffxi-307.com

I posted this here just on the chance they're not a legit advertiser...in which case they'd be very invasive.

ps: I did a quick Google on "ffxi-307" and it seems they were less than well received on another forum (posting advertising in a forum where it wasn't tolerated).
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Sorry, but I'm not going to nag Gorilla Nation regarding minor issues like flashing ads and ads that (jokingly) say "don't click unless you're over 18" (or whatever the exact quote is).
How about if the ad triggers someone's virus protection? I just had that happen twice, both times it was the same Gorilla Nation ad. The VP said it was blocking something called "infostealer."

It looks like it's trying to read a file called userinit.exe or trying to activate it. Whatever it's trying to do, if it's triggering virus protection then it's probably NOT a good thing.

*Edit: Did a full virus scan on my end, looks like it solved the problem of the ad triggering virus protection, so at least part of the problem was on my end. Still, something to be looked into by wiser souls than I.
patch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:29 pm Reply with quote
d.yaro wrote:
Not sure if this is related to an invasive ad or not since there's no telling what the purposes of the action resulting in this timeout error message is:

operation timed out when attempting to contact www.ffxi-307.com

I posted this here just on the chance they're not a legit advertiser...in which case they'd be very invasive.

ps: I did a quick Google on "ffxi-307" and it seems they were less than well received on another forum (posting advertising in a forum where it wasn't tolerated).

this needs to be blocked ASAP
here for details
camelot187757

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:30 pm Reply with quote
ANN's new interface doesn't show who's providing Ads now.

how do we report the crap-ads now?
camelot187757

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:05 pm Reply with quote
camelot187757 wrote:
ANN's new interface doesn't show who's providing Ads now.

how do we report the crap-ads now?

I am aware that bumping a thread is against the rules. This a bump for my own question to be answered, because I believe that this a minor issue that could be solved. However, if such practice is soundly frowned upon, please delete this post, rather than lock the thread.

-Rema
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:35 am Reply with quote
It isn't so much against the rules as it is "bad manners", like necroposting. But sometimes, like this, it's justified. I'm adding this fix to my todo list; I should get to it very soon since it's a quick fix.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
giberwitz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:03 pm Reply with quote
that animaxis.com ad while not technically a pop up it's just as invasive. usually shows up as a large box in the middle of the second headline
murph76

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Is this a new type of advertisement for ANN? It's been happening to me for the past few days and I'm not sure what to make of it.

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x95/murph76_album/?action=view&current=ANNad.jpg

I ran my anti-spyware just before logging on today (it came back with only a few tracking cookies) and it happened on ANN's home page, with the words "anime series" in a news item

Is this a problem for anyone else?

-Murph
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
Is this a new type of advertisement for ANN? It's been happening to me for the past few days and I'm not sure what to make of it.

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x95/murph76_album/?action=view&current=ANNad.jpg

I ran my anti-spyware just before logging on today (it came back with only a few tracking cookies) and it happened on ANN's home page, with the words "anime series" in a news item

I've seen it both here and at the AnimeNation forums.
yoda2nd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:25 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:

-Murph

I have got this too. Find it quite intrusive and annoying.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:34 am Reply with quote
The one I'm having trouble with right now is the banner ad for the Renaissance movie. Every time it comes up the loading gets stuck on that and the rest of the Forum page won't load. I can only go forward by backing up and re-choosing the page, hoping that a different random banner ad comes up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quote
That one was giving me trouble too.

Now however, this site is giving me this garbage. They look like hyperlinks but when you hover over them they do that. I get them all over these boards. I've scanned my PC with about 4 different antivirus and spyware programs (AVG, Spybod S&D, AdAware, CleanUp) which didn't get rid of it and I so far haven't encountered this type of advertizements on any other type of forums I go to which leaves me to believe it's the website. Confused
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The one I'm having trouble with right now is the banner ad for the Renaissance movie. Every time it comes up the loading gets stuck on that and the rest of the Forum page won't load. I can only go forward by backing up and re-choosing the page, hoping that a different random banner ad comes up.

I made a thread myself for this issue because I wasn't sure if it was the ad itself or the site. I am having the same problem whenever that ad shows up though.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 26