• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - A Love Like Winter

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:48 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
So with the Fumoffu thinpak I've been curious to find out if ADV strip it of extras or not? I guess the same question should be asked of the Elfen Lied thinpak as well so I'll do that too.

No. The disc counts are lower, so there won't be any extras. Whenever they reduce the disc count (almost every time), the extras are removed. When the disc count is the same, they just use the same discs as the singles, so they still have the extras.

-----------------------

As for the column itself, I think its just about perfect in its current form. I really can't think of any changes it needs.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:35 pm Reply with quote
while on the topic of thinpak extras, does anyone know what volume of the Azumanga Daioh single DVDs has the movie? I bought the thinpak due to poorness and lack of patience, but I want to see the movie bad enough to order a cheap volume of Azumanga.

And I'mma take and submit pix for the Shelf Life section sometime after Xmas (I'm getting A LOT of anime goodies for Xmas).
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
That Paradise Kiss card came in the shipment but was not inside the DVD case, which makes me believe it is one of those TRSI included advertisement inserts instead of something included with Paradise Kiss DVD 1. Can anyone not order the Paradise Kiss DVD and get the "Believe in your potential..." card confirm this?
aorta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
while on the topic of thinpak extras, does anyone know what volume of the Azumanga Daioh single DVDs has the movie? I bought the thinpak due to poorness and lack of patience, but I want to see the movie bad enough to order a cheap volume of Azumanga.

Volume 6.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Great tits. I have tits like that,
in my back garden. I have blue ones, and coal ones, and sometimes I have long tail ones too.
Great read too. This had a nice flow to it and very well done. I'd heard of Para kiss but after reading that review I want to see it as well. Wink
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
That Paradise Kiss card came in the shipment but was not inside the DVD case, which makes me believe it is one of those TRSI included advertisement inserts instead of something included with Paradise Kiss DVD 1. Can anyone not order the Paradise Kiss DVD and get the "Believe in your potential..." card confirm this?

The card I'm talking about comes inside the DVD case. I don't know if TRSI has been sending out scented ads, but the scented cards with Yazawa artwork on them are definitely part of the release, and come standard in all the DVD cases.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

The card I'm talking about comes inside the DVD case. I don't know if TRSI has been sending out scented ads, but the scented cards with Yazawa artwork on them are definitely part of the release, and come standard in all the DVD cases.
Ah, the sweet smell of guerrilla bisquets, They're like skunk, or death, once you smell them, you'll never forget them. Wink
Maryohki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote
aorta wrote:
Maryohki wrote:

Volume 6.

Thanks Anime smallmouth
Drowning_Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Heard about most of the anime in this Shelf Life, but I never seen any of those, (I know, I am getting Elfen Lied soon, I promise) a shame. More importantly, Franz Ferdinand in Paradise Kiss? I gotta check this one out, right now! Razz
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
so it'll be changing from week to week until everyone's satisfied

Give that up now. It will never happen. I like the columns changes, but then I thought last week was fine too.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
MeggieMay wrote:
So with the Fumoffu thinpak I've been curious to find out if ADV strip it of extras or not? I guess the same question should be asked of the Elfen Lied thinpak as well so I'll do that too.

No. The disc counts are lower, so there won't be any extras. Whenever they reduce the disc count (almost every time), the extras are removed. When the disc count is the same, they just use the same discs as the singles, so they still have the extras..

The disk count is lower on the Fumoffu set? That's a surprise since the orginal was just four disks.

BTW, I actually picked up Fumoffu already on the regular disk sets last month at the DDD sale. I decided to inquire on this issue because it drives me a bit nuts that no one ever mentions what is getting taken off the re-released sets. I often don't know going in what was on the original release so I can't tell if picking up the thinpak is no big deal or not. Then most reviewers don't seem to ever mention if there's been any changes to the releases or not and I just get really frustrated at the entire situation Confused.

Now I don't expect the thinpak's to have the pack ins the original disk have but as some have already mentioned (but it seem some reading the thread don't know about) ADV strips extras off most of their thinpak re-release disks (the original FMP thinpak is one of the rare exceptions where they didn't strip the extras off the disks). Now sometimes the extras being missing aren't that big of a deal (such as I've heard there weren't that many extras with Kino's Journey to begin with) but sometimes they are. I'd just like to know more about what is missing so I can make better decisions

[BTW, this isn't just a issue about stripping - there is also the time ADV added stuff to a re-release (Martian Successor Nadesco) which I didn't know about until after I bought the brick for the original release (but in the end it didn't matter because the darn show was defacto OOP in all version (including the Anime Essensials version) by the time I picked it up so just finding all of the series to buy to begin with was a blessing IMO.]

While I've not quite gotten around to getting Fumoffu watched yet (I actually stuck it into the DVD player last night but decided sleep might be better than watching it just the), I know that there were several extras on this set, including a amusing menu for the main menu. So if they reduced the episode count for this release, does that mean they changed the menu as well as stripped off all the extras?

Anyway, I just wanted to inquire to find out what changes might have happened to these sets. I'm not sure I'll ever pick up Elfen Lied (but I thought it was best to also ask about it) but I know that there are several upcoming thinpaks from ADV that I'm interested in but I have no idea what is going to be stripped off of them (such as Area 88). So I thought it asked about what missing from this set maybe I could figure out what might be missing off of any other upcoming sets (though I just wish the reviewers would mention what was different between the thinpaks and regular disks, when it comes to ADV shows).
irishninja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:02 am Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
Quote:
so it'll be changing from week to week until everyone's satisfied

Give that up now. It will never happen. I like the columns changes, but then I thought last week was fine too.

I agree with every sentence sabriyahm wrote. Smile You can't ever please everybody. Alas Sad

This week's format was just fine. So was last week's.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:47 am Reply with quote
Bamboo, would you mind if I talked about an upcoming release rather than a recent one?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:43 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Bamboo, would you mind if I talked about an upcoming release rather than a recent one?

Not at all. As long as there is actually a DVD release attached to it, and you know when it streets, it's fine.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:06 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:

Not at all. As long as there is actually a DVD release attached to it, and you know when it streets, it's fine.
I hope this won't turn into a downloader's boasting section. We don't need to give them yet another reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4