• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fruits Basket, Naruto Still Running on Booklist

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Pretty underwhelming. Confused

Since we're not given any hard numbers (aside from TOKYOPOP's two million copies of Fruits Basket), it's hard to say if these rankings are bad or just relative to how well manga actually sells when books sales are no doubt at their best right now.
aluria

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
While it is true that mangas haven't been doing near as well lately, I think we should be happy with the fact that manga do and will continue to make it onto the list. After all, there all a lot of books out there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind that it's the Christmas shopping season, so mainstream books are selling more strongly than usual, meaning that even if Fruits Basket and Naruto are selling their usual number of copies, they won't rank as high relative to non-graphic novel books as they would during a slower time of year for overall book sales.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Disco Pete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:27 am Reply with quote
I bought Fruits Basket, and the ranking goes up.
I didn't buy Naruto, and the ranking goes down.

Coincidence? I don't think so.
Wink

But seriously, Tenchi is right. So many folks are hitting the bookstores that it's amazing that manga titles are even on the list.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or are these the only two titles I've been seeing mentioned on this list?
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:23 am Reply with quote
aluria wrote:
While it is true that mangas haven't been doing near as well lately, I think we should be happy with the fact that manga do and will continue to make it onto the list. After all, there all a lot of books out there.

I agree, aluria; and while it isn't all that surprising that these two titles have remained on the book list over the month, it's true that they'll be given less attention overall in consideration of the holiday 'gift purchases' sales.

fighterholic wrote:
Is it just me or are these the only two titles I've been seeing mentioned on this list?

I think you're right. But again, it's not that surprising. Both Furuba and Naruto are extremely popular, and their newest installations of vols. in the U.S. have reached an exciting point in terms of character information and/or anticipated movement in the plotline (at least, that's my take on these two). Anime catgrin
Strephon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:44 am Reply with quote
Let's also note that these are the titles that are making onto the main Bookscan list, alongside all other types of books. The graphic novel list is usually 80% or more manga.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Good point.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:51 am Reply with quote
I suspect that next week we'll see Furuba go up some more. There were lots of Borders and Waldenbook stores that didn't even have the current volume on the shelves on the release date. Most weren't going to get it for several days, so I ended up having to wait nearly a week before I could get it from a store.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
I suspect that next week we'll see Furuba go up some more. There were lots of Borders and Waldenbook stores that didn't even have the current volume on the shelves on the release date. Most weren't going to get it for several days, so I ended up having to wait nearly a week before I could get it from a store.

Seeing as how the manga went in Japan, I have a feeling that the later volumes (FB) will receive more popularity as well.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I've only read the first 6 volumes but plan to read the ones after that. Two million? I don't know what the best selling manga in America of all time thus far is, but Furuba is definately a candidate. Whereas Viz's parent companies enable them to license and enjoy success from the best selling manga titles from Japan, it's nice that TokyoPop (I feel) has a title that gives the success Viz has in America strong competion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1