• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki Retires From Making Feature Films

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:53 am Reply with quote
Ah damn. Well, I'm looking forward to The Wind Rises to be released in BD soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:55 am Reply with quote
Well I suppose it was only a matter of time. The man's made some great stuff and I'll never forget his works. I am sort of curious what'll become of Ghibli if he has less influence now. There's some good stuff from them not made by him of course but it'll be interesting to see who takes up the mantle now.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hayao Miyazaki will "retire from the production of feature-length films."

On the face of it, this isn't entirely specific.
Relairknight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:05 am Reply with quote
Truly a legend, he deserves a nice relaxing retirement sipping drinks on a beach somewhere. Even though it's not usually regarded as his best work, Howl's Moving Castle has always stuck with me the most for some reason, it's still my favorite. At least they're leaving the door open a little, hopefully he'll pop back in now and then with a smaller project.
RakuenOokami

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quote
Miyazaki has said he's going to retire after almost every film since Princess Mononoke. Maybe this time he really means it, maybe not.
Maokun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:28 am Reply with quote
I think that he hadn't threatened to quit since Howl's Moving Castle. It may be all the misinformed criticism and jingoistic reactions that his latest movie garnered what reminded him that he could be doing something else with his time and effort than feeding ignorant trolls and sensationalistic press.

On the other hand, he /is/ 72. :/
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:40 am Reply with quote
I can't imagine Hayao Miyazaki dying anywhere but at his drawing desk with pen in hand and cherry cigarette in mouth, or something like that. There are many things that one can make other than feature films, after all.

Although I halfway want him to return one last time to make a graphic, unflinching and brutal film about the Rape of Nanking. That would make the irritation he's inspired in the authoritarians and revisionists thus far look like a tiff at the church ice cream social.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:42 am Reply with quote
...Til next year.
EastN3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:48 am Reply with quote
Assuming he is well and truly retiring, I say good for him. The man is seventy two years old, he should spend his time with his family. That said, I wouldn't mind him making some smaller projects from time to time.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:53 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Although I halfway want him to return one last time to make a graphic, unflinching and brutal film about the Rape of Nanking. That would make the irritation he's inspired in the authoritarians and revisionists thus far look like a tiff at the church ice cream social.

And make for good Oscar bait, I imagine.
rokusaburo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:55 am Reply with quote
The headline should say "retiring AGAIN..."

Fans shouldn't be too sad, as he will probably come back like he did before!
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:58 am Reply with quote
I'm doubting whether or not he's REALLY retiring. He said the same thing with Princess Mononoke, and that turned out to be a miscommunication error.

However, if he truly his retiring; than I wish Miyazaki all the best. I've seen every single one of his films from Lupin III to Ponyo, as well as all the other Studio Ghibli films. From what I've seen of the Wind Rises, I think it will probably be a good conclusion to Miyazaki's work.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:59 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I can't imagine Hayao Miyazaki dying anywhere but at his drawing desk with pen in hand and cherry cigarette in mouth, or something like that. There are many things that one can make other than feature films, after all.

Someone oughta do it. It's bonafide Oscar bait and the topic needs to be addressed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:03 am Reply with quote
Miyazaki will stop making films when he's dead. Not one second before.
bigcathead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:06 am Reply with quote
Have a good life Mr. Miyazaki and thank you for well...pretty much every film you've made.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7