• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bones' Space Dandy Anime's Teaser Promo Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jet_

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
What's wrong with jiggling butts and boobs in a comedy show?
It's not like the show's going to be Manyuu Hikenchou mk.II.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
looks weak.

yeah watanabe is a bad director.....

i don't see any story in the vid. You need a good story. Even the madoka director makes shit without good story or good material.

Most people are shallow. they can like something just because of the art.
Switch the art to modern and the main character to 15 years girls. You will get alot of complains.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

I'm probably one of the very few people here who hasn't watched Bebop -though it's in my "Backlog of shame"- and the only distinctive Watanabe show I've watched that I know of is Sakamichi no Apollon which I adored. Dandy looks campy fun and silly and I'll at least try it because the cat alien looks adorable. Not too pumped on the "LOL Look at these boobs, they JIGGLE which is HILARIOUS" so I hope it doesn't take up too much of the actual show.

Yeah the jiggling boobs and butts is something I am not a fan of what can I say. At least they showed it in the preview so I was warned ahead of time.

Other than that I am all for campy fun retro sci-fi, robots, and cat aliens.

I cringed at that when I saw it at Otakon and I still cringe. I can see how it fits with the series' motif, but I'd rather not have that. Given how ludicrously on-the-nose the restaurant's name is, I hope that it's meant as at least half-parodical. I'm also trusting that a series with a staff this impressive, including Keiko Nobumoto and Dai Satō as writers, will be able to do let me overlook Boobies or make something more interesting out of it.

I really like the look of the series otherwise. This feels like material that Shinichirō Watanabe would be at home with and the designs look fantastic. I can't say that a goofy space comedy is what I hoped that he'd be working on, but I feel that there's enough genuine talent involved here that it could succeed. I have a feeling that they'll add some genuine, old-school space operatics to the show that could make it all feel very well balanced.

Spotlesseden wrote:

Some people are also arrogant, condescending and judgemental in a way that elevates or aggrandizes themselves. I think that this is arguably much worse.

Art still requires talent, craft and care. Well-conceived, designed and rendered art is a virtue. It's far better if the writing et cetera are good too, but I don't see the justice in denigrating the work of visual artists. This trailer also portrayed a pretty good sense of the feel and style that they're going for.

Spotlesseden wrote:
Switch the art to modern and the main character to 15 years girls. You will get alot of complaints.

This doesn't seem like meaningful assertion.

They would think less of it if it looked like something that they tend not to like. When something has different qualities from other things, then people think something different about it. This is especially true when a work is associated with creators whom they have particular expectations for. The look of an anime tends to strongly code what kind of show it will be. If they coded it differently, it would naturally provoke a different response.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrStickHarrison

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Can someone maybe host it somewhere else? I can't seem to view this video. It says it's private.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I cringed at that when I saw it at Otakon and I still cringe. I can see how it fits with the series' motif, but I'd rather not have that. Given how ludicrously on-the-nose the restaurant's name is, I hope that it's meant as at least half-parodical. I'm also trusting that a series with a staff this impressive, including Keiko Nobumoto and Dai Satō as writers, will be able to do let me overlook Boobies or make something more interesting out of it.

It's played for laughs, but also I think he just likes it because other female characters, including female alien, are also very curvaceous in skimpy outfits. Actually I think he'd be terribly remiss if he did not incorporate something like this. This isn't Victorian era society; it's sprawling space and alien civilizations, so even if it's off-putting to some, lots of things just fits. Given the setting it actually makes more sense to have the boobies club or some other usage of sex appeal, else it would be very conspicuous without it in such a universe.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Spotlesseden wrote:

Switch the art to modern and the main character to 15 years girls. You will get alot of complaints.

This doesn't seem like meaningful assertion.

They would think less of it if it looked like something that they tend not to like. When something has different qualities from other things, then people think something different about it. This is especially true when a work is associated with creators whom they have particular expectations for. The look of an anime tends to strongly code what kind of show it will be. If they coded it differently, it would naturally provoke a different response.

that's what i mean. different art design, you will get different responses. Even since Flower of Evil, i see more and more people like or dislike a show based on the art alone. They have they even know the story, they can determite if an anime is good or not.

do you see the complain about this title. The complains came after my post, too.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-31/bones-animates-noragami-with-cowboy-bebop-kawamoto
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Aku no Hana is more than just character design, it's the entire art production. Otherwise, it's just a job you do, it's not like you pour your entire being into and stake your reputation as a creator on some character art for a dumb show, because it's such a small bit of creative input that can be entirely removed from the writing or tone. Like Nobuteru Yuuki (Escaflowne, Lodoss, Five Star Stories) working on Maken-ki or Ozuma. You wouldn't have even been able to know that unless you looked it up.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:51 am Reply with quote
I know it's a trailer, but the animation looks amazing! And with the staff they have working on it, I trust that the writing will be equally impressive, (though I have a sneaking suspicion that the main protagonist will be a carbon copy of Mugen from Samurai Champloo personality-wise).
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
anyone that thinks this looks bad is taking it too seriously, this looks like it's just going to be a fun, humorous lark, it's nice to have Shinichiro Watanabe working on something new again and with Bones no less

but, I'll be blunt, I doubt Shinichiro Watanabe has another Cowboy Bebop in him, that was a once in a lifetime work of greatness, Samurai Champloo was nowhere near as good as Bebop, but it was still a pretty great show in it's own right and Space Dandy looks like it'll be the same

just don't expect another Cowboy Bebop and you wont be disappointed
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:
I know it's a trailer, but the animation looks amazing! And with the staff they have working on it, I trust that the writing will be equally impressive, (though I have a sneaking suspicion that the main protagonist will be a carbon copy of Mugen from Samurai Champloo personality-wise).

Agreed. This looks fantastic.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I just learned about this show today! It looks like it could be lots of fun. It also kind of reminds me of Space Adventure Cobra.
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Watanabe, with no afro is so stale now. He was awesome in Macross Plus and Cowboy Bebop.

Macross Plus has movie quality even in it's OVA form. The animation is superb for an anime, the art is vibrant, the story is complex, the characters are deep, the music is from Yoko Kanno is awesome, just the peak of anime and how all anime should be. Who knows the budget of Macross Plus on a per episode basis? That OVA surpassed even Gundam 0083 in terms of visuals and art. And in terms of story, blows it away, since 0083 is not only the worst Gundam OVA, it is the worst in the UC. Macross Plus is everything Frontier should be. Frontier is like the SEED Destiny of Macross.

Cowboy Bebop was also amazing. The artwork is comparable to another Macross FB7, which is saying a lot, since FB7 looks way better than 7 and looks great, though not as good as Plus, the voice acting in every language is great, the music is great, it's very much like western movies/animation in its noir setting and the overall atmosphere of this show is great.

Samurai Champloo is also great.

This is not great. This is terrible. Why do all anime creators go downhill? What a disgrace. Since Watanabe can somewhat understand and speak English, I'm going to vent my frustration towards him. Hmph!

regarding macross plus....

the characters have a degree of depth, I payed attention to that much, but the love triangle sort of made them stale to me..... how bout you guys fight each other less and own more bad guys, but of course this had to be about a woman in the end didint it?

and aside from visuals and animation which were superb I cant say that the story is complex, its about two top pilots trying to outdo each other but end up falling short regardless, I will remember that much but the plot wasant particularly moving, excellent delivery at least.

space dandy still has lots of potential, i suppose the argument goes both ways dont count your chickens untill the hatch.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to this series. I got the chance to hear about it and see the world premier announcement at Otakon, and from what Director Watanabe said during the premier, Space Dandy, has a lot of old sci-fi influences and should be a campy comedy. I believe he said their would be new aliens in every episode, and they already had over 100 different alien designs. I'm pretty excited to see this new series. It won't be anything groundbreaking but it has very good potential to be a very funny show that is simply fun to watch.

BTW, hilarious note, Director Watanabe said the "Boobies" place showed in the trailer was modeled somewhat after "Hooters" here in the States. Mr. Green
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3