• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-01-05]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foldor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:18 am Reply with quote
Lol, that Flake of the Week is just priceless. As if there hasn't been about a hundred different rants disagreeing with that exact thing. Now he has to complain about seeing less "naked chicks". I assume he was under the impression is all "naked chicks and violence". I guess it's what some people see in it. Unfortunately...
akitainu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quote
As far as the Solty Rei cover...well, I'm relieved I am not the only person who laughed...pause...gasped...and then again laughed at site artwork (mostly the banner ads, they left me giggly and guilty in each refresh-half the picture is far worse than the whole).

EDIT: Is that kitten on a grill? If so, is it gas or electric?

Note: My own cats do not find the inquiry humorous at all.

Last edited by akitainu on Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:36 am; edited 2 times in total
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quote
wow. a nice way to start off the new year Zac!

I have notcied a lot of the anime dvds I have have reversable covers. I never knew why and I think now I do. i don't however get why the Solty Rei package was funny...i completly missed that joke. Anyone care to explain? Embarassed

Light novels...professional fanfiction. That sounds a like a goal someone should strive for. I'd love to give it a try- because combing two of my favorite hobbies would be great! Although i haven't written any fanfiction in some years...

I didn't quite get what the next person was asking...but yes. human-kind has a lot of problems dealing with things they don't understand.

Quote:
Yuki Kajiura or Yoko Kanno?!?

am I the only one here who doesn't know who either of these two are? The second name looks kind of familiar...Ghost in the Shell I think? I'll have to wiki both of these gals...

....that poor kitten looks like its sitting on a bbq grill. That might just be me though. Shocked

and to the rant
I stopped reading Shojo Beat for some of those same reasons. I'm not sure why Baby is in the book at all- everytime I read the story I got annoyed. A did read a few of the other stories, but I decided i'd be better off just buying the mangas moreso than the magizine because there wasn't enough inside of it that appealed to me. i did like Godchild and I was upset they stopped having it.

I've always been a tomboy and recently (within the last two years) started acting somewhat like what a girl is expected to be. At frist I felt that Beat was experimenting. Seeing what people liked. I had predicted that they'd change and much to my own horror they had.

So now I don't buy it anymore.

I admit i did started reading to see what all the fuss about Nana was. And for awhile I was inturged. But thats not enough reason for me to buy the whole magizine and ignore the rest.

I'll just stick to Jump from now on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mozilla
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quote
akitainu wrote:
As far as the Solty Rei cover...well, I'm relieved I am not the only person who laughed...pause...gasped...and then again laughed at site artwork (mostly the banner ads, they left me giggly and guilty in each refresh-half the picture is far worse than the whole).

LMAO! Its ironic how that banner appeared just as I read your post.

Note to britannicamoore: You asked why the Solty Rei package was funny .... well, here's a hint. I'll probably get banned for telling you publically on the forums. Just look at that girls facial (position), then tell me what you think.

^^ Wow I said too much. Now I sound peverted.

And I hope I got the joke. I'll crash and burn if that's not what it was about.

ugh ... *Hides in Corner*

EDIT: Here's a picture to either dig a deeper hole for myself, or clear things up for those who didn't get the Solty Rei joke ....

Last edited by Mozilla on Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:49 am; edited 2 times in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:45 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

Quote:
Yuki Kajiura or Yoko Kanno?!?

am I the only one here who doesn't know who either of these two are? The second name looks kind of familiar...Ghost in the Shell I think? I'll have to wiki both of these gals...

1) Yes, you are the only one who doesn't know - they're two of the biggest composers of anime musical scores.

2) Look them up in the Encyclopedia - I'm sure you've heard work from both of them.

Anyway, I also prefer Yoko Kanno. She is both prolific and wide-ranging in her work. And always great. Yuki Kajiura is also good, but a lot of her stuff sounds the same - good, but too much of the same thing gets boring after a while. There's little variety.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
Wow that Solty Rei cover is quite.....creepy. Is that the actual cover or the reverse flip side? As for FMP, like Zac noted the original covers are on the flip side. And to be honest if the flip covers been what I had originally seen for FMP I am not sure if I would bought it. I know your not suppose to judge a book (DVD Wink) by it cover but it's hard not to.

As for the light novels, I really enjoy the .Dot hack novels and I know there canon which makes reading them just that much better. Nothing against Manga, but I rather read a book any day of the week.

Delta

P.S. Good job Zac and I am glad the cat's back Very Happy, I hope you survive the fanboys.....and yes you are right Yoko is much better.
Mozilla
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Wow that Solty Rei cover is quite.....creepy. Is that the actual cover or the reverse flip side? As for FMP, like Zac noted the original covers are on the flip side. And to be honest if the flip covers been what I had originally seen for FMP I am not sure if I would bought it. I know your not suppose to judge a book (DVD Wink) by it cover but it's hard not to.

As for the light novels, I really enjoy the .Dot hack novels and I know there canon which makes reading them just that much better. Nothing against Manga, but I rather read a book any day of the week.

Delta

P.S. Good job Zac and I am glad the cat's back Very Happy, I hope you survive the fanboys.....and yes you are right Yoko is much better.

I loved the .Hack books as well, although they cheated me ... its shorter than you think (oversized margins, etc ...) which sucks, but oh well ... guess I have to buy Volume 2 now ....

Yoko is better! *Agrees*
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
Mozilla wrote:
akitainu wrote:

LMAO! Its ironic how that banner appeared just as I read your post.

Note to britannicamoore: You asked why the Solty Rei package was funny .... well, here's a hint. I'll probably get banned for telling you publically on the forums. Just look at that girls facial (position), then tell me what you think.

^^ Wow I said too much. Now I sound peverted.

And I hope I got the joke. I'll crash and burn if that's not what it was about.

ugh ... *Hides in Corner*

EDIT: Here's a picture to either dig a deeper hole for myself, or clear things up for those who didn't get the Solty Rei joke ....

Oh. Oh wow that went over my head the first time. It looks pretty bad smaller. lol
This must be my slow day. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:04 am Reply with quote
Mozilla wrote:
I loved the .Hack books as well, although they cheated me ... its shorter than you think (oversized margins, etc ...) which sucks, but oh well ... guess I have to buy Volume 2 now ....

Yoko is better! *Agrees*

It's really good, I was surprised that when the last Licensing season had come and gone that no one picked up the .hack//Zero novel. And I am I really looking forward to reading once it does get licensed. I remember Tokyo Pop saying that they decided to release AI buster vol 2 because of such strong sales for the first book.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:08 am Reply with quote
One, that's a pretty funny picture when you think of the situation and meaning that people can interpret from it. Two, the flake of the week is a good start for the new year, you can tell what this guy has been trying to watch Wink
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Watch Noir and you'll see what I mean; by the end of the third episode you'll wish they would stop playing that blasted watch theme.
Hey, I liked that music Crying or Very sad and I think I liked hearing it at least through the two-thirds mark of the series. And if people really want to see an analysis of these two composers, they could easily head to the Music Forum and read through the stickies on the subject. I'm a bit partial to Kanno, though I liked Kajiura's music in My-Hime and Noir, not so much in Tsubasa Chronicle and Madlax.

Speaking of suggestive poses, the Air Gear ad that I'm looking at on the left side of the page has a rather..."interesting" choice of angle on the female character. But even the babe factor can't make me want to watch that one.

Great rant this week - relevant, timely, and about a subject that hasn't been dead-horsed in previous rants and dozens of previous forum threads. I haven't ever read Shoujo Beat, so I can't comment directly on the content, but it's a shame to see it devolve into a mainstream teen magazine that happens to have manga.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:11 am Reply with quote
On the Yoko/Yuki issue....I actually prefer Yuki's style over all (it's closer to the sort of music I'd chose to listen to), so she's my favorite...but I agree that Yoko Kanno has much more of a range in terms of different styles. And they DO play that watch theme way too much. Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Why does everyone think that girls are obsessed with fashion, make-up, and all things pink?

Do you think centuries-old stereotypes and millenia-old folklore and legend may have something to do with it?
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quote
Mozilla wrote:
Here's a picture to either dig a deeper hole for myself, or clear things up for those who didn't get the Solty Rei joke ....

I thought that might've been the reason why it'd be funny, but I was unsure. The cropped image implies it more than the full DVD box cover though, and it wasn't until I saw the cropped image that I laughed. =\

britannicamoore: Yeah, Yoko Kanno did do the music for GitS, specifically Stand Alone Complex.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Hey, I liked that music Crying or Very sad and I think I liked hearing it at least through the two-thirds mark of the series. And if people really want to see an analysis of these two composers, they could easily head to the Music Forum and read through the stickies on the subject. I'm a bit partial to Kanno, though I liked Kajiura's music in My-Hime and Noir, not so much in Tsubasa Chronicle and Madlax.

The problem with the music Kajiura does for anime it always seems like there is only 3 songs that are used for the anime. However if you pick up the OST there are a lot of great tracks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7