• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Will there ever be a live action section?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I ask because live action movies/tv is reported on the site but there's nowhere really to talk about it on the forum. Any reason why or just something that will never be on the forum?
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote
There is a thread in the anime section for discussing Tokusatsu. We were allowed that one single thread.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Live-action stuff used to have its own little section in the Encyclopedia that had anything related to anime or manga franchises (like adaptations based on franchises, people who directed those that also happened to direct anime, etc.), but I forget why they did away with it.

Dessa wrote:
There is a thread in the anime section for discussing Tokusatsu. We were allowed that one single thread.

For all live-action (in and outside of Japan)? Or is that just for the Japanese-centric-only shows? 'Cause I would think what live-action movies or shows that are made outside of Japan (what few there are) would be viable for their own respective threads.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
The toku thread is specifically for Tokusatsu titles, which are, inherently, Japanese-only.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Live-action stuff used to have its own little section in the Encyclopedia that had anything related to anime or manga franchises (like adaptations based on franchises, people who directed those that also happened to direct anime, etc.), but I forget why they did away with it.

You can still find entries for all the old stuff, and they are still adding the new things that come along. However, I think they get omitted in the Top N rankings. (I also thought live action got omitted from searches and the only way to find them was to click on them if they appeared in "related anime" in an encyclopedia entry. But that is not the case.)
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
The toku thread is specifically for Tokusatsu titles, which are, inherently, Japanese-only.

Just checking. 'Cause I thought the OP was asking about any-/everything live-action, whereas your reply to that made it sound like the Tokusatsu thread was for Tokusatsu and everything else live-action, and only that thread was allowed for it, which would seem kinda' weird >_>.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:53 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Cause I thought the OP was asking about any-/everything live-action

Thats from Japan yeah. Tv and movies.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if I revive this thread. But I would like ANN to create a live-action section, I mean if ANN can create a video game section, why not one for live-action. There's already a music section for ANN. I mean I'm sure a lot of us on ANN would like to talk about live-action (whether it's Tokusatsu or dramas), and also I would like to post a question topic regarding J-dramas (the Answerman on that is not enough to satisfy and doesn't always answer my question, I would PM Justin if I wanted to but I'm too lazy and it's not worth my time) since I can't posted it on Anime or Manga section, a live-action section would make sense for me to post that questions regarding J-dramas on there. I think there maybe other people that would want a live-action section because they want to talk more about live-action regarding anime but also maybe J-dramas or K-dramas (adaptation of anime/manga or not).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
*is for this*
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
^
+2
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:25 am Reply with quote
I mean ANN has a video game forum, but it also is pretty dead. Would a live action forum do better?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
If Crunchyroll continues to stream a significant amount of Fuji TV shows, with about a third of the current additions being manga adaptations, it seems like such a section would become inevitable soon.

They might have to assign a moderator to almost full-time duty to enforce such a section's likely stringent rules though...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I definitely would be in favor of this. I just upgraded to the All-Access pass on Crunchyroll and have been enjoying the live-action adaptation of Itazura na Kiss a lot. It would be nice to have somewhere to talk about it and to hear about other good shows that didn't involve me going to a difference site (though d-addicts is pretty damn good).

It's so exciting that there are finally legal ways to watch live-action series as well as anime!
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Well seeing that Crunchyroll had signed a deal with Fuji TV to stream 21 J-dramas, this could be a reason to make a live-action section. Also not only anime fans are fan of J-dramas, but also K-dramas and Taiwanese dramas too, so yeah I hope ANN can add a live-action section soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1