• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shyamalan Signs up for Avatar Trilogy

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MamodoKing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:53 am Reply with quote
Anyone but this man, please. While I enjoyed most of his movies. Shyamalan's movies are a one time watch. You see it once, you don't need to see it again. I don't want this happening to Avatar.
Ralboon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:01 am Reply with quote
I personally have no real opinion on Avatar, but M. Night Shyamalan doing anything these days is a bad thing. His ego is almost annoying in his constant cameos in his own films, and his skill in actual film making is laughably poor.
DieH@rd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:08 am Reply with quote
Nice. Cant wait.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:23 am Reply with quote
Avatar and M. Night Shyamalan, huh?

I can't decide which is more ill deserving of the other. Or more deserving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:44 am Reply with quote
The last page of the script has been leaked!

Katara: Wow. who would have thought Zuko was really a robot all along, and Uncle Iroh was just a paranoid delusion who never really existed, and Canada doesn't actually have any people in it, it's all just a hoax by the media.

Aang: Yeah, that's almost as unexpected as the fact that you're a ghost!

Katara: I'm a ghost? Oh, that explains why I never touched anything throughout the movie. At least not after that part where I was hit by a bus.

Toph: Yeah, I thought it was funny how you seemed to be in such good shape after that.

(M. Night Shamalan walks into frame, stares at the audiance for fifteen seconds, nods knowingly, and walks back out of frame.)

Aang: Well, I guess our adventure will continue in the second movie. But not for Sokka, since he's actually a Labrador Retriever in an elaborate disguise.

Sokka: Woof, woof.
dokool

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:57 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
The last page of the script has been leaked!

Katara: Wow. who would have thought Zuko was really a robot all along, and Uncle Iroh was just a paranoid delusion who never really existed, and Canada doesn't actually have any people in it, it's all just a hoax by the media.

Aang: Yeah, that's almost as unexpected as the fact that you're a ghost!

Katara: I'm a ghost? Oh, that explains why I never touched anything throughout the movie. At least not after that part where I was hit by a bus.

Toph: Yeah, I thought it was funny how you seemed to be in such good shape after that.

(M. Night Shamalan walks into frame, stares at the audiance for fifteen seconds, nods knowingly, and walks back out of frame.)

Aang: Well, I guess our adventure will continue in the second movie. But not for Sokka, since he's actually a Labrador Retriever in an elaborate disguise.

Sokka: Woof, woof.

You, sir, win an internet.

And on behalf of Philadelphia, I apologize for M. Night. Seriously, we didn't think he'd get this bad when we let him out of his cage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:30 am Reply with quote
His movies may be a little predictable after you have seen a few of them, but I think this just might work. He at least knows how to pace a story. And, seeing as the source material is not actually HIS, I don't think we have to worry about there being tons of surprises.

One of the things that I like about Shyamalan is that he knows how to add layers of meaning to a story. Hopefully, he can do this with the Avatar movies too.

He wouldn't have been my first choice as a movie maker, but at least we're not getting Ang Lee [responsible for the terror that was "the Hulk"] or Uwe Bolle [who was in turn responsible for Bloodrayne and many other terrible game-to-movie tranlations]. Let's look on the bright side.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:34 am Reply with quote
The whole thing sounds like a bad Robot Chicken joke. People think the Transformers live action movie was a horrible idea, this is going to blow it away. Avatar is such a great series, surely they could have found a better director, one that is more kid friendly and can reflect the same story telling as the cartoon. Hell, why aren't the creators writing the movie, why is Shyamalan involved in anything other than directing?

The cartoon is sure to end on a good note by the time the movie comes out and I just know the movie is going to completely sour it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spoofer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:07 am Reply with quote
What does this have to do with anime? O_o
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:45 am Reply with quote
Iiineresting?

I mean, Avatar is one of my favorite series ever, but I'm not sure I care to see a live action movie of it, it will almost inevitably lack the highly kinetic elemental action of the cartoon.

Also, Shyamalan is not the best person to do this one. I'd pick Robert Rodriguez. Short of him, Peter Jackson, Bryan Singer, hell, even the guys currently doing the cartoon would likely be a better fit. I assume M. Knight only went for the job because he wants to break the current sterotype of his work, and maybe he is up to the challange, but it'd better be nothign like anything he's ever done before.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:47 am Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
What does this have to do with anime? O_o

I knew that was coming, I'm surprised it took this long. It's a minor news tidbit, you don't have to read it or enter the thread about it if it doesn't interest you. What do the Boondocks have to do with anime? Or Avatar itself? They're similar in style and many who watch both shows are anime fans as well, so they get news tidbits here and there, I don't think it will kill you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MNanimefreak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:05 am Reply with quote
I'm with Keonyn, it wont kill you. ps-nice=MN Very Happy
Stullz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quote
Personally, I understand why people would be hesitant about M. Night on this one. I personally view him as one of the best directors out there now, even if his 'ego' is getting in the way. His direction is outstanding, and no matter how 'odd' some of his more recent works are the were beautifully made, and definitely for a more esoteric audience. His visions are truly awesome albeit flawed. But because of this I may have to check this Avatar out to see whether it can really be done or not.

Also, interesting fact, M.Night wrote Stuart Little for the screen, so he can in fact work in different genres and audience levels.(successful or not is in the eye of the beholder)
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quote
Oh well, what can you do. I guess everyone wants to take a stab at something. But this is a shock! Shocked
Commad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quote
Wow, this came out of left field for me as a property to get picked up for not only one movie; but three. I suppose a popular American anime type show has a better chance for revenue at the box office than a regular anime that has some popularity in the US and abroad. But hey, atleast something might be made to help progress all those live-action adaptations Hollywood seems hesitant to produce. Still, this doesn't mean the movies will have a timely release after this announcement, but signing a 3 movie deal with a large cable company should mean that M. Night really wants to produce them eventually. And by eventually I mean in the next 3-4 years.

One small step for man, one giant leap for Eva/Battle Angel/all other liscened anime maybe? It's a long shot. D:
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5