• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Haruka Tomatsu, Sword Art Online's Asuna

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:35 am Reply with quote
Her responses were interesting. So she wants to be strong and buff, yet she wants to be pretty and a good cook. Are we sure she's not Sailor Jupiter?
bin1127

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:16 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Never liked Tomatsu. Never. If you compare her to let's say Megumi Hayashibara or Michiko Neya or even Yumi Touma, she just doesn't cut it. Those VAs are awesome, Neya is strong and tough. Megumi is like the female Mel Blanc of Japan and is impressive as Lucy from Macross Plus, Faye from Cowboy Bebop, Chris from Gundam 0080, her Rei, though I hate Rei, is still awesome and the only VA of the children to do a good job. Touma is the mature, sweet VA. Her Chun Li is pretty tough, girlish, strong, mature, just awesome. She's also great at doing Pokemon noise. She's great as Cecily from Gundam F91, as well as in Gundam Wing. Man, what happened to Touma? Awesome VA, but nobody cares about her anymore. Sad One of the best VAs I've ever heard. Hell, even Hoko Kuwashima from Gundam SEED is better. Back in the days of the 80-90s, people like Tomatsu would have been in 2 bit roles. It was the people who were GOOD like Touma and Hayashibara, who were mains or major supporting. I miss those days. Even my Japanese friends from Japan agree with me.

While I agree that Megumi is awesome in all the roles she's done, that does not mean Haruka sucks. She was fantastic in Tonari no Kaibutsu and Katanagatari. Both very different roles and she switched up her voice to great effect. There's no need to put write her off like that. She's talented in all the things she does.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:46 am Reply with quote
I'm so glad (most of) you guys enjoyed the interview! I guess it was worth it to skip school and do it. It was a lot of fun for me too, and I gave her a cake and got an autograph! She's a great person.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:07 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
I'm so glad (most of) you guys enjoyed the interview! I guess it was worth it to skip school and do it. It was a lot of fun for me too, and I gave her a cake and got an autograph! She's a great person.

I'm not really an SAO fan, but I think it's ridiculous when people can't divorce their opinion of a work from their opinion of an actor. And from what I've heard, she's pretty good. Nice interview.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:06 am Reply with quote
Thank goodness that oldie Hipster troll is gone.
He was getting into everyone's nerves.

Anyway, I love the interview with Haruka Tomatsu.
She sounds very humble and i laugh when i found out she was the class comedian and became a VA by a friend.

The fact she does some research from the source materials for roles she plays shows how dedicated she is to her work.
UkiyaSeed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:28 am Reply with quote
But Tomatsu already voiced someone who is not a human... well in a tokusatsu show that is. She's Canderrilla, an enemy monster general in Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger and has one fun yet evil theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JztikvUFs4Y
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:47 am Reply with quote
Putting my personal thoughts on the show aside or my thoughts on Asuna's development, I'm forever grateful to SAO for introducing me to Tomatsu. Although my favourite role of her's has to be Mizutani. I know that sales aren't great but of all the shows I want a second season for My Little Monster is somewhere at the top. Also, I can't go without mentioning 'Girls, be ambitious' from Sora no woto.

As I'm typing this I happen to be listening to her new album and loving it. Specifically 'Yume Sekai' (The first SAO ED)
CrowLia wrote:
And I hated his icon, so it's great I won't have to see it around for a while Wink
I like AJ Styles. Well, I'm not exactly distraught over seeing him go. But I still don't entirely agree with your post
hpulley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:05 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Wish we had a picture of her with the cake, that would be cute!

Thanks again for the interview! Worth skipping school over I'd say Smile

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I really liked her as shizuku in my little monster that show was a blast, I am now reading the manga of it since they will probably never make a season 2.
Actually, now that there is a spinoff manga Tonari no Kaibutsu kun Bangaihen (Sasayan and Natsume!) I'd say there is a chance of a season 2 in order to flog the manga. That's the best hope we have since I'm not sure Kodansha is ever really that interested in disc sales, I think they find manga and magazine bumps more worthwhile, see the anime as more of an ad for their books which is their main business. Though of course with it mostly about Natsume and Sasayan we wouldn't hear much more of Haruka Tomatsu when they get to that part but they still have 8 books of the original they could animate in the meantime.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:21 am Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:

Here's the picture! I did a much nicer cake for the other person I interviewed, only because I had enough icing, but I themed the cake after one of Tomatsu's recent characters, Bell Renjouji (pictured in my icon).
https://twitter.com/oOSarahNelkinOo/status/351557093859397633/photo/1
hpulley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
hpulley wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:

Here's the picture! I did a much nicer cake for the other person I interviewed, only because I had enough icing, but I themed the cake after one of Tomatsu's recent characters, Bell Renjouji (pictured in my icon).
https://twitter.com/oOSarahNelkinOo/status/351557093859397633/photo/1

Looks good! Hope she enjoyed it. July 1st? I guess the interview happened a while ago?
Sparvid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:09 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Having been to some of her live concerts, she is definitely an amusing character in person. She really knows how to put a smile on one's face.

One of the things I love about seeing Sphere live is that - especially when it comes to her and Aki Toyosaki - their happiness of performing in front of fans is constantly so very visible. They seem to be incapable of sleepwalking through a performance.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
What a cool little interview. I think Tomatsu is a very talented woman despite the fact that she seems to voice characters in shows I'm not too fond of like Anaru from anohana and Saki from Valvrave. Anime hyper Both roles were fantastic, but actually sitting through the series was kind of like pulling teeth. And while SAO has its problems, I enjoyed Asuna as a character and as a role Tomatsu has done. I think she showed great range with her.

As for her singing career, I have to admit my only exposure is through Sphere and Star Driver, both of which I love! I cannot even say how many times I've listened to Non-Stop Road and Monochrome on repeat. Anime catgrin
mierin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

Thank you for the interview! Smile

Apart from Shizuku in Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, I also liked her role as Older sister maid in MAOYUU.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I think she's great. Became a fan of hers through her performance of Aoba in Cross Game.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I think she's great. Became a fan of hers through her performance of Aoba in Cross Game.

Of her performances I'd think Nagi from Kannagi and Aoba in Cross Game would be my favorites. The episode where Nagi locked herself in the cupboard in Kannagi was pure awesome voice acting, considering that the scene only showed her face a couple of times and she was in a cupboard the whole episode!

Oh and I LOVED Monochrome. She has such a beautiful singing voice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4