• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon Licenses Rozen Maiden

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dojikyo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
darkside31337 wrote:
tamaneko wrote:
darkside31337 wrote:

It's kind of a letdown, doing a cool promotion for such a meh anime (imo). Geneon has licensed much better shows as of late.

GTFO. "Better shows" like Disgaea? Rozen Maiden is one of the top-10 most popular animes in Japan in recent times and there is FAR more fanart for the show than any other series ever created, so, yeah, what a big letdown for them to license such a boring show... Rolling Eyes

Popularity doesn't determine the value of a show (especially that in another country). The show's storyline is terrible, the characters especially that of your typical dorky male protagonist are stupid and it's just not going to work in america. It's a niche show, and that niche isn't big. Traumend aint happening unless they picked it up already.

Anything else that was rumored (like Nana) would have definitely been better, and I wasn't specifically talking about Disgaea, although it's better then this dump Rolling Eyes .

Typical dorky male protagonist are pretty common. I don't remember too many dorky male protagonist that are crippled by their fear of other peoples. The other recent series that had a hikkimori in the lead was Welcome to the NHK. The show's storyline is pretty much Highlander with dolls and I liked the first Highlander. Nana is in a league of its own but the length of the series makes it more likely Viz will license it.
bci110

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:16 pm Reply with quote
All I have to say about this announcement is this: FINALLY!!!!! Rolling Eyes
I wonder why it took Geneon so bloody long to acquire this title. From what I've been reading, it looks like that they have both the first series and Träumend, but Ouverture remains unlicensed.

As for Shuffle, someone on the Anime on DVD forum mentioned that Kadokawa USA has it, but didn't contract it with anyone yet. I'm not completely sure if this is accurate or not, but I won't rule out the possibility that Shuffle might become a Geneon property very shortly.
Thinkersblock07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Hearing the phrase "technical wizardry" I thought they were talking about Negima?! But after I turned my answers in, I noticed that Shuffle had fit more clues than Negima?! did. But then, after some deliberation, I finally realized it was Rozen Maiden.

Now like everyone else, I'm anxious to what the actual clues were and how many there were. Smile
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
ManSlayer07 wrote:
darkside31337 wrote:
tamaneko wrote:
darkside31337 wrote:

It's kind of a letdown, doing a cool promotion for such a meh anime (imo). Geneon has licensed much better shows as of late.

GTFO. "Better shows" like Disgaea? Rozen Maiden is one of the top-10 most popular animes in Japan in recent times and there is FAR more fanart for the show than any other series ever created, so, yeah, what a big letdown for them to license such a boring show... Rolling Eyes

Popularity doesn't determine the value of a show (especially that in another country). The show's storyline is terrible, the characters especially that of your typical dorky male protagonist are stupid and it's just not going to work in america. It's a niche show, and that niche isn't big. Traumend aint happening unless they picked it up already.

Anything else that was rumored (like Nana) would have definitely been better, and I wasn't specifically talking about Disgaea, although it's better then this dump Rolling Eyes .

I third that opinion. I want Geneon to get Nana (and Ouran licensed too but by TRSI). I hope Geneon does a good job with RM but here's hoping to some better licenses (they already lost Honey and Clover).

I'll "fourth" that. I don't really like Rozen Maiden that much either. I thought it was rather boring after a few episodes, so I stopped watching. It's funny that you mentioned Disgaea because I love Disgaea! It's way better than RM in my opinion. Oh, and I was hoping for Nana (and possibly Ouran) to too. Seems that we agree on a few things. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cosfu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:55 pm Reply with quote
what

Last edited by Cosfu on Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:27 am; edited 2 times in total
the_silent_child

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was Rozen Maiden first... then they kept talking about gods and demons and shuffling things around.... Stupid. Get Shuffle! instead.
bravejaf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote
b4k4ni04 wrote:
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
The "all dolled up" (or something along those lines) statement at the very beginning of the podcast pretty much gave it away. If any Rozen Maiden fan didn't clue in on that clue, I wouldn't know what to say.

And I assume that they didn't license Träumend. All in due time, I say. Smile

o_o.. i completely missed that. Hmph, my first guess was Nana, what with the late news appearing about it's potential american liscence. but the "how many? 7??" and the gift of a rose sealed it for me. the 7 was WAY too conspicuous Anime hyper;. at least in my opinion.

The 7 was a clue, just not in the way you thought. It was one of the clues I picked up that led me to Rozen Maiden.
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Aw man TT____TT I didn't even bother doing the contest because I figured it would be an anime I didn't know... But I'm one of the biggest Rozen Maiden nerds around v_v;;; ARGH!!

Oh well, I'm still super happy that RM will be getting a release here. I think that those who think the plot/characters are poorly written maybe didn't give the show enough of a chance... Sure there are plenty of little things one could pick on, but the same goes for 98% of anime series out today :P
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
I was thinking The Rose of Versailles (sp). What with all the flowers in the opening and the conflicts with politics and such. Plus at 40 eps I thought it could hit 5 eps a DDVD and = the volume 8 he mentioned. Oh well.

Heh, glad I wasn't the only person who thought Rose of Versailles. Of course, I only listened to the first 10 minutes where I heard "Rose" and one guy saying "Vessals" over and over. Razz

Would've never guessed Rozen Maiden since I've never heard of it. Is it that popular in the fansub community that most people know it? Otherwise, this would be a very hard contest.
tamaneko

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote
ManSlayer07 wrote:
darkside31337 wrote:
darkside31337 wrote:

I third that opinion. I want Geneon to get Nana (and Ouran licensed too but by TRSI). I hope Geneon does a good job with RM but here's hoping to some better licenses (they already lost Honey and Clover).

I'll "fourth" that. I don't really like Rozen Maiden that much either. I thought it was rather boring after a few episodes, so I stopped watching. It's funny that you mentioned Disgaea because I love Disgaea! It's way better than RM in my opinion. Oh, and I was hoping for Nana (and possibly Ouran) to too. Seems that we agree on a few things. Cool

Jesus H. Christ... I can't believe you're all actually serious...

evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:08 am Reply with quote
Cheesemon wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
I was thinking The Rose of Versailles (sp). What with all the flowers in the opening and the conflicts with politics and such. Plus at 40 eps I thought it could hit 5 eps a DDVD and = the volume 8 he mentioned. Oh well.

Heh, glad I wasn't the only person who thought Rose of Versailles. Of course, I only listened to the first 10 minutes where I heard "Rose" and one guy saying "Vessals" over and over. :P

Would've never guessed Rozen Maiden since I've never heard of it. Is it that popular in the fansub community that most people know it? Otherwise, this would be a very hard contest.

It's got a pretty okay following in fansubs. It's got a BIG following in Japan, though for a number of semi-legitimate reasons... XD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
darkside31337 wrote:
tamaneko wrote:
darkside31337 wrote:

I like how you tell us popularity and quality have nothing to do with each other, and then you go on to say that this show will not be popular due to its lack of quality.

Also, Jun is far from the "typical dorky protagonist." The show's biggest strength, in my opinion, is that it portrays socially inept, terminally geeky teenagers as they actually are, rather than how they wish they were. Jun isn't a sweet, nice quiet guy whom every woman instantly and inexplicably falls in love with, and he doesn't have amazing superpowers that put everyone else to shame. He's an anti-social shut-in who hates people and is pretty darn unlikeable at first, and the entire first season is mainly about him learning to go out into the world and be a nice guy again.

You could make an argument about the doll angle being kind of silly, but you eschewed that completely to instead attack the thing that most sets the series apart. That, coupled with the fact that your other criticisms have a distinctly generic ring to them, leads me to the conclusion that you've never even seen this show and are just one of those people who mindlessly dislikes anything popular.

Last edited by Wyvern on Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:23 am; edited 2 times in total
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
I thought it was Maria-sama ga Miteru at first, but I later realized it was Rozen Maiden. Well, I'm not too fond of RM, but I suppose that's beyond the point.
elsa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote
I, too, thought "lol, doll animu", when I first heard about it.

Then I watched it.
liloaznangel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
yay it's finally been announced officially. now i'm gonna post what i had submitted (more or less) so people who KNOW Rozen Maiden can tell how much i got right. please bear in mind, inever seen the show, i just know enough based off what i've seen in pictures and what otherpeople have said ^^; that's why i'm posting it to see if i wasn't pulling some BS clues 'cause i didn't know better.

-"All DOLLed up" @ 00:05
-"ROSE" @ 02:26
-"How many do you have, SEVEN?" @ 02:35
-"'cause that's what ANGELs do, they ASSASINATE." @ 06:39
-"Can you ORDER THINGS ONLINE?" ... "You can ORDER ANYTHING ONLINE" @ 09:09
-"It's so easy to ORDER THINGS ONLINE" ... "I've ORDED so much for ME" @ 09:36
-"Everyone should have their own VASSEL." ... "People that have to SERVE others." ... "GIVES ORDERS TO, DO WHATEVER YOU SAY, feed us" @ 10:36
-"You said that there were TWELVE EPISODES... I've noticed that alot of NEW SHOWs have only TWELVE EPISODES per SEASON" @ 11:34
-"FIRST SEASON IS TWELVE EPISODES, SECOND SEASON IS TWELVE EPISODES." @ 12:02
-"Is trying to SUCCEED FATHER's throne" ... "ALONG WITH MANY OTHER..." @ 13:41
-"Speaking of BOXING THINGS"..."'cause ALL GOOD THINGS COME IN BOXES" @ 16:31
-"IT'S NOT A POLARIZING SERIES, WHERE THERE A VILLAIN AND A GOOD GUY, THEY ARE ALL TRYING THEIR BEST" @ 19:06
-"Vanilla with PEACH" @ 20:51
-"The only things that count ARE UNDER FOUR FEET TALL" @ 22:55

i had reasonings why i picked them, but delted them in fear of sounding stupid, though i'll explain why i picked a quote if someone asks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7