• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Sell TV Shows, Movies Online

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
OMG, I'll get to watch movies on my computer at no extra charge?!?! SA-WEET! ! I can't wait to try this. Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brians9824

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:21 am Reply with quote
This should be intresting. Curious as to the type of anime selection that will be available. Should be a great way to screen series I haven't seen yet.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:23 am Reply with quote
Hey Viz... make a deal with Netflix! Smile
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quote
To be honest, I'm surprised it took this long. I would have thought someone would put together a Tivo style box that you could hook to your TV and internet, build your Netflix queue like you do now, and enjoy. The system could download as much as it could hold, and 'unlock' the number of titles allowed by your subscription. As soon as you are finished and delete a title, the next in line becomes available for viewing. Perhaps we will see something like this in the future, but as of now, I doubt I am going to watch too many shows on my PC. I prefer the big screen of my TV. I'll probably try it out, though.
cl4y

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:23 am Reply with quote
Hell yeah! Yet another reason for me to love Netflix. Even my wife will be stoked.
Vikio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome! Razz But how come I found out this info from ANN instead of an official email from Netflix telling me about this? They are usually very good about sending emails whenever their service is about to change. I guess this means Netflix is still figuring out details of how this service will work...
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Vikio wrote:
This is awesome! Razz But how come I found out this info from ANN instead of an official email from Netflix telling me about this? They are usually very good about sending emails whenever their service is about to change. I guess this means Netflix is still figuring out details of how this service will work...

Yeah exactly what I was thinking, and honestly I rather have netflix just expand their catalog of anime titles. I mean there are way too many shows that aren't available or have volumes, oh well I am gonna have to see how this works.

Delta
Karva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Good job Netflix, you're finally doing something right.

Although, I'm assuming any anime they'll have will be dubbed only.
coffee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:53 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like a great idea, unless they decide to change their minds and make the downloads one of your rental slots. It should bring more one the fence people over to netflix, which means more money for more titles. When this is available I can see myself taking advantage of this quite often, and it's good to see at least some anime titles will be included in the roll-out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
...honestly I rather have netflix just expand their catalog of anime titles. I mean there are way too many shows that aren't available or have volumes,

Ditto. When one reaches into the vastness that is anime titles, they start to find out the limits of Netflix's collection (if one can call it that). I've also gotten quite a few mislabeled or unplayable anime DVDs from them, the most recent being when I got Evangelion: Death & Rebirth when I had actually ordered The End of Evangelion. Seems like an easy mistake for someone who doesn't know their anime to make, but it's very annoying nonetheless. I never had any problems with I was renting strictly regular movies from them. -_-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what the resolution of the downloads will be? And if they are burnable to DVDs.

Edit:
nevermind I just read it won't be burnable.

And it just says the more bandwidth the more quality. But I wonder if that would be DVD quality as the highest offered.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordRobin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote
No Mac support means I don't care. Same goes for Toonami Jetstream. I don't understand why video services are so hot to launch ignoring the Mac. Yes, I know about the 5% market share number, but that's essentially meaningless. That number includes all the PCs used in offices and as point-of-sale machines. And us Mac folks include a lot of early adopter types and tend to have a lot of disposable income. It just makes sense to include us if you want your service to have a healthy start.

Sorry, just bitching. I guess I just have to wait until ADV comes to their senses and starts selling their videos on iTunes.

------RM
DarkCntry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I doubt this will last long...much like Blockbuster's venture in competition with NetFlix by doing their "Total Access" plan. These will both be huge money pits for them and only when they gather the 'instant subscriber base' they require, they'll change the plans.

While it's a good idea, and one sorely needed really, I just don't see it lasting all too long.
Vikio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:03 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
I've also gotten quite a few mislabeled or unplayable anime DVDs from them, the most recent being when I got Evangelion: Death & Rebirth when I had actually ordered The End of Evangelion. Seems like an easy mistake for someone who doesn't know their anime to make, but it's very annoying nonetheless. I never had any problems with I was renting strictly regular movies from them. -_-

Haha, and I thought it was just my bad luck. I almost never had problems with normal movies on Netflix, but somehow two consecutive disks of "Earth Girl Arjuna" got lost in the mail (you see how losing disk 2 AND 3 makes me look bad) and I was starting to think that my local post office employed an anime thief. LOL Anime hyper And another time I got a cracked disk, reported it broken, sent it back, and got THE SAME disk back as a replacement. It was cleaned and polished, but still broken nearly in two.
At least I won't have problems like that over the internet...Right?
jaybug39

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:19 am Reply with quote
I wonder how they will slow down "frequent" downloaders, a la the way they slow down mailing?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3