• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Trojan Virus

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slowzhand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:23 am Reply with quote
Yesterday while looking up an anime, I was alerted to a Trojan virus on your site. It completely blocked my browser from leaving the site unless I 'paid a fine'.

After shutting down the computer and running a scan, it was identified as Trojan.Ransomlock.AG

My husband also told me it was an fbi.gov type (whatever that means), he works with this stuff all day. Not that it comes from the government, but it's some sort of identifier.

ANYWAY, just wanted to let you know. Sorry it took so long to report it.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
That's worriesome.

It was probably installed by an errant ad on an ad-network. Since you probably aren't able to identify what ad you viewed when this happened, there's no way for me to track it down.

Hopefully the ad-network (we run 3), has been alerted to the problem by someone else and has removed the ad.

-t
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:22 am Reply with quote
Wasn't using 4nn.cx for ad serving supposed to stop that sort of thing? It's also possible the trojan came from another source and just chose to activate while viewing this site.

The "fbi.gov" bit is presumably because it displays a fake FBI warning:
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2013-081618-4011-99&tabid=2

Symantec are showing very few reported infections so far. There's more detail for it's parent: http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2009-041513-1400-99
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Slowzhand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote
Sorry, I don't know what the ad was, but I had just finished looking at Pokémon: Rival Destinies in the anime section.

I so rarely look at the ads at the top unfortunately.

Just wanted to make sure you were aware of it and steps were in place to take care of it.

I'll try to be more vigilant in the future if it ever happens again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1