• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Victor Entertainment Holding Open Auditions For The Heroine of a "Blockbuster Anime"

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quote
From The Article wrote:
Applicants must submit a recording of two songs and two pictures
Confused I get why they'd want the recordings, but why would they want pictures of the would-be VA? They planning a photo book or something?

Anyway, this sounds very interesting. It's very rare to see any company going out in search of new talent like this and the range of ages is intriguing.

I wonder what anime the lucky lady will end up being in.
bluepita

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:04 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I get why they'd want the recordings, but why would they want pictures of the would-be VA? They planning a photo book or something?

I'll give you my guess, which could easily be wrong. Sounds like they might want to market her later. If she's singing, then she could sell concerts based on the anime or venture into singing exclusively. They want someone pretty or interesting looking if they are like everyone else out there. Rolling Eyes

What amused me was the qualification that she should be umarried. Very Happy
Lyrai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
bluepita wrote:
...What amused me was the qualification that she should be umarried. Very Happy

Same here. Unless they're trying to just play it safe and avoid any overbearing husband or being blamed for straining a marriage or somesuch. But I think that that's way out there.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
maybe the unmarried part is so she will appeal to more guys as being open.

Darn...why did they have to add singing?

The pictures are probably so they can judge the persons looks. I can bet that the girl they choose will be pretty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:34 am Reply with quote
bluepita wrote:

That raised my eyebrow as well.

They'd better be careful. As lawsuit happy as this country is (esp. California), they had better be very careful. But, hopefully (for their sake) their lawyers have done something sneaky to cover their butt.

What recent "Blockbuster" animes have recently featured characters singing? I know that there are new Sakura Taisen's coming out, but I wouldn't exactly call them "Blockbusters."
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quote
bluepita wrote:

Being single and affair-free is the fundamental requirement of every Japanese idol. It's a practice for both male and female starlets at every showbiz agency, so there's nothing to worry about.

What raised my eyebrow is that none of you have realized this fact even after being immersed in Japanese pop culture for such a high dose and long time.

Last edited by dormcat on Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ruben7227

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:43 am Reply with quote
Hmm, Interesting. Smells like Haruhi Suzumiya to me. I mean there are 2 songs that are sung in ep. 12, so it could be a possible. I guess time will tell.
Nekozuki85

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:46 am Reply with quote
Unmarried+Looks+Singing=

IDOL!
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:47 am Reply with quote
Ruben7227 wrote:
Hmm, Interesting. Smells like Haruhi Suzumiya to me. I mean there are 2 songs that are sung in ep. 12, so it could be a possible. I guess time will tell.

Stop spreading BS if you have no idea about it. First, the music right of SHnY belongs to Lantis, not Victor. Second, producers of SHnY are not that stupid to replace Aya Hirano, as her fans might burn down... ahem, literally flood their building with angry mails.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:00 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
bluepita wrote:

That raised my eyebrow as well.

They'd better be careful. As lawsuit happy as this country is (esp. California), they had better be very careful. But, hopefully (for their sake) their lawyers have done something sneaky to cover their butt.

What recent "Blockbuster" animes have recently featured characters singing? I know that there are new Sakura Taisen's coming out, but I wouldn't exactly call them "Blockbusters."

I thought the contest might be in Japan for a new anime not out yet?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quote
**smacks self on head...twice**

It's taking place in JAPAN! Embarassed

For some bizarre reason I thought it was taking place here... Embarassed Embarassed
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:43 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
why would they want pictures of the would-be VA? They planning a photo book or something?

Same reason they want her to be single. They want to create an idol.

To be an idol she has to be pretty/cute, young, can sing, be single (in that order of importance).

Lonely men don't become enamored with idols if the idols have boyfriends / husbands and aren't "pure."

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:45 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
What raised my eyebrow is that none of you have realized this fact even after being immersed in Japanese pop culture for such a high dose and long time.

Now now, be nice.

Being an anime fan need not equate to being a fan of Japanese culture.

For the record, my interest in Japanese culture, and my interest in anime developed 100% independent of each other, at very different stages of my life (Japanese culture came first, many years earlier).

-t
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:45 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
It's taking place in JAPAN! Embarassed

For some bizarre reason I thought it was taking place here... Embarassed Embarassed

The news was sourced from Anime! Anime!, and the original news (Japanese) can be found here.
Nermal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:34 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I get why they'd want the recordings, but why would they want pictures of the would-be VA?

Besides the idol thing that has already been mentioned, I also think it's standard to submit a picture on any job application in Japan...or so I've heard.

The unmarried part makes sense...I mean if they've already put an age range that cuts off at 25, they're probably going for the maidenly-type. Less drama and more marketability; I guess something like Miss America over here...eheheh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3