• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Victor Entertainment Holding Open Auditions For The Heroine of a "Blockbuster Anime"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:44 am Reply with quote
[quote="LydiaDianne"]**smacks self on head...twice**

It's taking place in JAPAN! Embarassed

For some bizarre reason I thought it was taking place here... Embarassed Embarassed[/quote

I didn't realize it was in Japan either. That does make a few things make more sense.
bluepita

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:50 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

What raised my eyebrow is that none of you have realized this fact even after being immersed in Japanese pop culture for such a high dose and long time.

Lol, but that assumes I have any exposure or interest to Japanese pop culture other than anime. I dont listen to Jpanese music, know anything about any of the voice actors, have interest in their idols...That sort of thing just isn't really what I care about, here or there. Smile
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:32 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
What raised my eyebrow is that none of you have realized this fact even after being immersed in Japanese pop culture for such a high dose and long time.

Like others, I thought this was news of such a search in AMERICA (is this really all that noteworthy in Japan?). Knowing that it is taking place in Japan makes it make perfect sense from the "idol" perspective, but if it was in the US it'd seem very odd. That said, if it WAS being done in America, my first thought was that someone was going to TRY to put together a show like "American Idol" but for an anime VA. (I realize that anime is not really popular enough in the US for this to seem like a "good" idea)

Anyway, might help the readers out a little if the story was editted to reflect the fact that this is being done/conducted in Japan rather than in the US.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:04 am Reply with quote
Pretty cool. Kind of a gimmicky idol-production machine, but cool nonetheless.

Now we only need this in North America. I think it'd help heal some of that "American anime companies are teh ebil" angst, and maybe with a large number of applicants, the quality of dub voice actor(s) might rise.
ABetterTimeandPlace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:56 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

What recent "Blockbuster" animes have recently featured characters singing? I know that there are new Sakura Taisen's coming out, but I wouldn't exactly call them "Blockbusters."

Victor Entertainment's original website doesn't actually use the words "recent "or "blockbuster." Its title is "Auditioning for the idol (heroine) of a super huge anime!" and it only says the work is in production, not released.

Unlike Anime News Network's article, Victor Entertainment's page never mentions Akira or Trigun. It does mention another Victor Entertainment anime franchise in the very first words of the very first sentence. Hint: what "Super" huge anime featured a female singing idol star actress that was also hired by a nationwide casting call?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:12 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

What recent "Blockbuster" animes have recently featured characters singing? I know that there are new Sakura Taisen's coming out, but I wouldn't exactly call them "Blockbusters."

ABetterTimeandPlace wrote:
Victor Entertainment's original website doesn't actually use the words "recent "or "blockbuster." Its title is "Auditioning for the idol (heroine) of a super huge anime!" and it only says the work is in production, not released.

I'm not sure where people are getting the idea for a recently released anime... Ausitions are always held before the anime is released, what would be the point of getting a voice actress after... ?

-t
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:17 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

I'm not sure where people are getting the idea for a recently released anime... Ausitions are always held before the anime is released, what would be the point of getting a voice actress after... ?

-t

I think that this may be coming from is that I, at least, didn't realise that Victor Entertainment is in Japan. Embarassed So I couldn't figure out why an American company would have such an audition, especially with the not-married clause...

What I thought has been made clear now! Embarassed I now realize that it is an Idol contest for an anime that hasn't even been released yet...
gary leeman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I will do my best to marry the winner. So much for their marketing ploys...
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quote
gary leeman wrote:
I will do my best to marry the winner. So much for their marketing ploys...

Lol, that's the spirit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
oriana3k

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Nermal wrote:

The unmarried part makes sense...I mean if they've already put an age range that cuts off at 25, they're probably going for the maidenly-type. Less drama and more marketability; I guess something like Miss America over here...eheheh.

That might be a bad analogy at this point in time. Laughing
Ceru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:40 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Ruben7227 wrote:
Hmm, Interesting. Smells like Haruhi Suzumiya to me. I mean there are 2 songs that are sung in ep. 12, so it could be a possible. I guess time will tell.

Stop spreading BS if you have no idea about it. First, the music right of SHnY belongs to Lantis, not Victor. Second, producers of SHnY are not that stupid to replace Aya Hirano, as her fans might burn down... ahem, literally flood their building with angry mails.

Whooooa there, settle down. Ruben was simply voicing their opinion. Notice key "opinion" phrases: "...to ME", and "it could be a possibility". BS is saying "The anime IS Haruhi". You're being a bit presumptuous; even your previous comment of "I can't believe you didn't get this or that because you've all been so immersed in Japanese pop culture". Wait, what? Because we're fans of anime and manga that immediately describes us as being "immersed in Japanese pop culture"? Since when? Watching TV shows in Chinese doesn't mean we have a distinct understanding of the culture. That's just ridiculous.

On a happier note addressing the topic itself, I can't think of what it might be. Sad I too thought it was in America (I didn't click on the link, silly me); that would have been quite interesting. Smile
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:50 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Lonely men don't become enamored with idols if the idols have boyfriends / husbands and aren't "pure."-t

Sure we do! We just make sure that the boyfriend/husband encounters "an unfortunate set of circumstances" Rolling Eyes

....(Now where did I put the duct tape and rope....?)
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote
ABetterTimeandPlace wrote:
Unlike Anime News Network's article, Victor Entertainment's page never mentions Akira or Trigun. It does mention another Victor Entertainment anime franchise in the very first words of the very first sentence. Hint: what "Super" huge anime featured a female singing idol star actress that was also hired by a nationwide casting call?

Mayhaps you refer to Super Dimensional Fortress Macross? I'm sure a lot of young women are eager to become the next Mari Iijima, if they're lucky (and talented).

ANN's article is frankly a little confusing. It took me a minute to realize this was a Japanese casting call (which, as someone said, is not nearly as unusual as if this was an American company looking for a VA). Also, referencing Trigun and Akira seems largely spurious, as (IIRC) Trigun only has one song with a female voice in it (Sound Life ~LEM~), and Akira isn't particularly known for its idol pop music. Macross, on the other hand....
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:25 am Reply with quote
bluepita wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Lol, but that assumes I have any exposure or interest to Japanese pop culture other than anime.
Yeah, aside from anime and manga, my pop culture knowledge of Japan is limited to mostly the pervy stuff. (I swear, all I know is internet rumors!) Wink

I didn't think of the whole Idol thing until everyone started mentioning it, then I smacked myself in the head. (I think college is starting to eat my brain. Anime dazed ) I wasn't surprised about the "not married" thing, but for some reason the pictures threw me. My brain just didn't make that leap from VA to Idol-in-training.

LydiaDianne: You're not the only one who thought the article was about a search in the US. I just figured Victor Entertainment was starting a North American division and using the contest to generate publicitiy.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I just figured Victor Entertainment was starting a North American division and using the contest to generate publicitiy.

Yes, my initial assumption was that Victor was also handling the music for an American dub of an anime they had handled in Japan, particularly in terms of getting a good VA who can sing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3