• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - One Year Later

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smoochy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

smoochy wrote:
I don't see why you bother with World "Manga."

Because I'm sick of the haters, sick of the posturing, sick of the pseudo-philosophical moral ethical geographical cultural "debates" that surround the whole idea, and there might as well be at least one idiot on this godforsaken internet who's actually willing to judge the works on their own merits.

Quote:
Have you ever find any that you really liked?

Yes.

I notice that you didn't mention the work, so I'm guessing you assume I'm one of the poseurs.

As for my comment, it's because I haven't found any World "Manga," thats been anything other than mediocre, while I'm sure there are other works you could review instead that are good. But if you just throw them in to mix it up, I understand that.
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
I don't know whether I should be proud or embarrassed for getting that intro...

Well, I didn't get it. What's it from?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lyrai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Quote:
Despite the series' good intentions, splashes of forced sentimentality are inevitable. After all, this is all about coping with personal tragedy, so be prepared for lots of goopy crying moments and grand expressions of unconditional love. If you can't handle emotional openness at that level, feel free to walk away.

Have you noticed the writer of its story? The same person who created Makoto's and Mai's arcs of Kanon, the main plot of AIR and Clannad, and basically the mainstay of Key. Rei Izumi had also drawn a doujin-turned-commercial manga named Kanon & AIR Sky, so I was not surprised when she was chosen to cooperate with Maeda.

Isn't the author Rei Idumi? Same person, just funky spellings or what?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:

I think it was written in a way similar to an obituary.

Lyrai wrote:
Isn't the author Rei Idumi? Same person, just funky spellings or what?

Different romanization (Hepburn and Kunrei-shiki, respectively). See this thread for more information.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
How come nobody ever asks me about the lack of grades when I do Import of the Month? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

The "X of the Month" feature is just there to call attention to things that are related to, but don't fully qualify as, "North American releases of Japanese comics." It's just saying, "Here's this thing I found, check it out, it might be interesting to you," whether it's notably good, notably bad, notably weird, notably popular, whatever. Maybe I should do Light Novel of the Month and make my workload even worse? How about Hentai of the Month? Or I can start an Armpit of the Month and we can all look at drawings of Mikuru Asahina wearing a cheerleader outfit with her arms raised and someone will ask Why didn't you put a grade for Mikuru's armpits? I don't know.

dormcat wrote:
Cloe wrote:

It's something about recent developments in American comics. I myself have only heard about it, but don't care enough to actually read the series.
Dream_Walker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This from an artist whose talents are barely above average: these marginally cute girls all have the same face shape, the same vacant eyes, the same pubescent figure (plus or minus boob size), which ultimately adds up to a very generic style. The backgrounds are even worse, relying on 3D computer modeling to create highly detailed but soulless dioramas. Crowded layouts and screentone overload add the final touches to the mark of a decidedly mediocre draftsman.

WHat!? barely above average? how many artist can draw 31 characters and make each of them unique? i couldn't disagree more with that comment.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

dormcat wrote:
Cloe wrote:

It's something about recent developments in American comics. I myself have only heard about it, but don't care enough to actually read the series.

What he said. I actually like superhero comics when they're done right (All Star Superman being the finest example at the moment), but when both DC and Marvel release these moronic megaseries that have literally 50 tie-ins (each one key to understanding the ridiculous story) its kind of hard to defend the genre. On the plus side, apparently Grant Morrison only agreed to help write 52 if DC let him publish the follow-ups to his brilliant Seaguy, which is basically a commentary on this sorid state on the industry.
Doctor who

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What he said. I actually like superhero comics when they're done right (All Star Superman being the finest example at the moment), but when both DC and Marvel release these moronic megaseries that have literally 50 tie-ins (each one key to understanding the ridiculous story) its kind of hard to defend the genre.

I haven't read any of Civil War yet (trade for me), but last years house of M was pretty good all in all. The main story was weak but a lot of the sub parts to it were just really well done. The new look at iron man, captain america, and fantastic 4 were especially neat. Also the book that dealt with all the mutants that lost their powers is a very enjoyable read, wish I could remember the title but it's been a year since I read all of them.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Negima is starting to annoy me with all the different cosplay fetishes.

Akamatsu can't seem to decide whether to be serious or mildly funny so they go back and forth between the two throughout most of the manga. It ruins a lot of scenes. CHOOSE ONE!

The fight between Setsuna and Asuna looked good, but would have been better if they weren't wearing maids outfits. Just another excuse to stick in some more cosplay fetishes. It's starting to make me regret spending SO MUCH money on this series.

At least some pasts were revealed and new mysteries have appeared.

Because of that I'll still buy volume 13. Maybe it will be better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2