• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: I.G Posts About Ghost in the Shell Movie in English

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Well it appears that Production I.G. has the green light to official shop for a studio to make one of the most famous anime of all time into a live action film....James Cameron anyone? What about the Matrix's brothers? Just kidding, I am looking forward to hearing who ends up picking up the rights.

Last edited by Deltakiral on Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stullz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:01 pm Reply with quote
hmmm

I'd like to see Ridley Scott on this one... Going back to his Blade Runner and Alien Days...

His visuals are amazing.

I actually think James Cameron would do good with this one too or even Bruckheimer.

Lenn Wiseman has a decent visual style that could fit this too (Underworld)

Have to wait and see
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Well I have high hopes (which I normally don't want to have) for this. It always seemed like one of those shows/movies that would be hard to F*CK up when being transformed into a live-action version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
MNanimefreak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:42 pm Reply with quote
what about the guy that did pan's labrynth? gorgeous cinematography...
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
What about the Matrix's brothers?

The Wachowski brothers would probably die of fanboy-ish delight, and if they survived uninformed Matrix fans would complain that Ghost in the Shell was just them copying their earlier works.

Stullz wrote:
hmmm

I'd like to see Ridley Scott on this one... Going back to his Blade Runner and Alien Days...

His visuals are amazing.

His current interests (as least as far as I know of) seem to be geared toward historical pieces (I use that term somewhat loosely), so while it would be nice for him to come back and do yet another cyberpunk film, I can't really see him doing it.

Quote:
I actually think James Cameron would do good with this one too

So as long as its the Terminator 2 and The Abyss Cameron, and not the Titanic Cameron.

I would rather see him go ahead with his Battle Angel Alita adaption, or at least let us know he's making some progress on it.

Quote:
or even Bruckheimer.

He'd probably get the conspiracy and detective portions of the franchise nailed down.

MNanimefreak wrote:
what about the guy that did pan's labrynth? gorgeous cinematography...

Guillermo del Toro? Can't say, on that one. The only works that I've seen of his are Blade II (which I found to be underwhelming, though better than Blade III by far) and Hellboy (which was enjoyable enough). I'm looking forward to seeing Pan's Labyrinth this weekend, which I've heard plenty of praise for, though he doesn't strike me as the type for Ghost in the Shell.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little worried about this movie (especially the actors), but at least we'll always have the anime! Very Happy
Bishounen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:37 am Reply with quote
I'd love it if they picked a more avant-garde director for this one. David Lynch anyone?
Gamelore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:43 am Reply with quote
STOP.

What a terrible idea. Unless it's a $300M blockbuster directed by Mamoru Oshii himself. And even in that best case, it will pollute the fanbase with pathetic people who have little appreciation for finer art, giving I.G a reason to pump out lesser, banal GITS shows Sad

I guess I just hold the intellectual property on such a high pedestal that the mere idea makes me cringe.

So far everything involving GITS has been an absolute masterpiece, in my view. It's either a major coincidence, or someone at i.G is extremely, rightfully protective. A live action movie in English seems out of the question.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:00 am Reply with quote
Seems out of the question, maybe. But it's not totally out there. GITS, more then most anime, has a great chance to make a good movie and it's harder to F*CK up, although if whoever makes it does screw it up, it'll probably be big. The look and feel of the GITS is "The In" thing right now, with all it's shiny technology and massive cities and pantless Major's. That's what America WANTS!!! Although it will most likely bring a fanbase totally different then the fans it has now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
animecritixx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:28 am Reply with quote
Idea What about Quentin Tarantino? It would be interesting, not to mention violent. Don't laugh, It might be a good move for the director who created Kill Bill. (yes I know Ghost in the Shell isn't a samurai anime!)
Zamurai-Tactician

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Just.Don't.Do.It.PLEASE!

I remember reading about the article on Production I.G's website which one of the workers on SSS was a little shocked that they were doing ANOTHER Ghost in the Shell. I disagreed with him then, but I'm agreeing with him now.

I don't think that this film should be done. I'm the biggest GITS fan I know in my circle and many around, and normally I would be Razz & Shocked @ the thought of a new GITS project, but I just don't know about this.

But maybe I am being too negative too early, time will tell eh?

As for who I would want to do it, probably Christopher Nolan as director.
Rukusho

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Acutally, I would also like to see the Wachowski brothers do this movie. I think we'd have better chances of this movie being sucessful if fans in the directing/producing seat.

As for this movie becoming a reality, I'm really supportive of it. If done right, it could be amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:54 pm Reply with quote
MNanimefreak:
Quote:
what about the guy that did pan's labrynth?

He's busy with Domu.

animecritixx:
Quote:
What about Quentin Tarantino? It would be interesting, not to mention violent.

Quentin's too much of a high school drop-out to understand tech-speak.

Anyway, Alex Proyas is the only one who can pull it off IMHO.
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:01 am Reply with quote
Probably if they can get the Scott Brothers (Tony and Ridley) along with Jerry Bruckheimer together with the Production I.G. crew (with Mamoru Oshii part of it of course), then I could see this being a success.

But wait a minute...........

Is this live-action being intended for worldwide release or would this just be a Japan thing (like the GTO live action)?
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:39 am Reply with quote
pinoyfreestyler wrote:
Is this live-action being intended for worldwide release or would this just be a Japan thing (like the GTO live action)?

Well, since they're negotiating with American studios, I think it's pretty safe to assume that they want it to be an international release. (Why would they want to make a GITS movie in English for the domestic Japanese market, anyway?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2