• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual to Release "Gunbuster 2"

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mini Jesus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:25 pm Reply with quote
YES!!! I can't wait to own this masterpiece. I watched as is fansubbed and it's absolutely amazing. April will be awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
fxg97873

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:36 pm Reply with quote
SOOOO HAPPPPY!

This series is one of my absolute favorites.

Episode 1 is incredibly cinematic, Episode 4 is OVA perfection and the Final episode makes me relive the original Gunbuster all over again!

mk2000
Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Definitely going to buy this. It was torture waiting for the new eps. I can't wait to own it. Very Happy
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Not all that surprising (all things considering), but very great news nonetheless. Good move on BVU's part in releasing Diebuster so close to its predecessor spoiler[(really great when you consider the ending)]. Now, hopefully the Top movie will debut a few months later (dub for Gunbuster part?) and there will be a special Top wo Nerae! collection set during the holiday season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
Is this a direct sequel to Gunbuster? Meaning am I going to have view Gunbuster first or is Gunbuster 2 a different universe?
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:09 am Reply with quote
They do take place in the same universe. However the 2 do not truly tie together until literally the very last scene. I can't say how because that would spoil the ending. I can't say I'm excited about this because overall I was unimpressed with Gunbuster 2/Diebuster. The series really didn't have a lot of relation to Gunbuster outside of what in my eyes seemed to be forced recreations of scenes and references. Really I'm more excited to get my grubby little hands on that Gunbuster box set coming out next month.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
it was an okay series, but the original is and shall remain a classic anime.

scary thing is when at cons, most folks don't recognize the title.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, it was only natural that this would happen. Only thing was that no one knew who was going to release it. I guess it would make sense to re-release the original classic and then it's sequel.

I still have yet to sit and watch this series. I watched it fansubbed the first time with my eyes "shut" (not literally). Then I deleted it. I didn't know if I could really appreciate it. The style, and setting with character designs were TOOOO odd for a sequel of the first. I just didn't know if I could take the show seriously. Until I got to the end.Then I started getting back into 'Gainax's work and started having a whole different view on them. That they had this ability to drag you into a show and then do a complete 360. The reason I enjoyed 'Gunbuster', and 'Evangelion', and even 'Mahoromatic' (as silly as that was) Then all these high ratings on the second show. I was like,

"ARE THESE PEOPLE ON CRACK??? THIS SHOW IS WHACK!!!" Shocked Shocked

While they enjoyed it the first series was still the best. But fans gave their share of reasons about why 'GB2' was so enjoyable and had this feeling that made it a worthy sequel. I then decided I would go back and watch it again. Because the series began tugging at my pant leg. I wanted to find out WTF 'Nono' was and her connection to the first story. Not to mention the visuals were so amazing and crazy (in the way that only 'Gainax' could animate) was also a reason I had second thoughts. Hey, I like 'Gaogaigar' and I like hyperbole.

I still have the DLs on my computer. I still have yet to watch them. Maybe now that it's coming out on DVD in April, It will give me a reason now to watch it and find out if I like the series enough to buy it. 'Cause, I'm certainly picking up the first 'Gunbuster'. Chances are I may still pick it up 'Gunbuster 2' anyway. And then those people that are hardcore to the first series will curse me for owning such a "mockery". To be honest, from what I have seen of it I would much rather have 'Gunbuster 2' in my collection than the 'Chrono Crusade TV series. Because everyone that knows me personally, knows how much I hate that adaption. Mad Laughing

Ooops sorry for the rant, Embarassed Razz

HURRAY FOR GB2 GETTING A SPEEDY RELEASE!!! APRIL WILL BE HERE BEFORE YOU KNOW IT.
GAWD, I don't know how much I can handle of all the good stuff coming out. Smile Surprised Surprised Surprised
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
"Look!! I'm Topless!!'

I love this show almost as much as the first. However for different reasons. Both shows seemed completely different in genre but both good in what they did. I believe that #7?...the main character is strong enough to take on the strongest Z-fighters. something hard to do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Pretty damn cool. So as long as Bandai Visual puts out a box to have all three DVDs put in (two volumes per volume is the most logical approach here), then I'll be more than willing to buy the series.

Deltakiral wrote:
Is this a direct sequel to Gunbuster? Meaning am I going to have view Gunbuster first or is Gunbuster 2 a different universe?

Well, technically Diebuster can be considered a standalone, but a lot of the references and some plot points won't make much sense when not applied in conjunction with the original, not to mention the importance (and emotional impact) of the ending will be lost on viewers who view the sequel first.

Go for the first Gunbuster, and then check out Diebuster. It's how they came out, so I don't see much of a reason why someone interested in both would watch them in reverse order.

Chrno2 wrote:
While they enjoyed it the first series was still the best. But fans gave their share of reasons about why 'GB2' was so enjoyable and had this feeling that made it a worthy sequel. I then decided I would go back and watch it again. Because the series began tugging at my pant leg. I wanted to find out WTF 'Nono' was and her connection to the first story. Not to mention the visuals were so amazing and crazy (in the way that only 'Gainax' could animate) was also a reason I had second thoughts. Hey, I like 'Gaogaigar' and I like hyperbole.

Diebuster is alienating to fans of the original series because, as you pointed it, its visually different. It's honestly to be expected though. Old school art and animation is what makes up Gunbuster, obviously, and to see something that more closely resembles FLCL can be a bit of a put-off.

Personally, while I wasn't really interested in the first two episodes, the third episode definitely made it worthwhile, and episode four -- the episode that Hideaki Anno came in to do the storyboards, for what it matters -- just really drew you in for the remainder of the OVA. (Heh, it has a similar effect that Giant Robo and the original Gunbuster had for me.)

As for why a lot of fans who've watched both heavily criticize the sequel... well, the visuals aside, they generally write it off as being "too silly" and having "too much fanservice," which is laughable considering that the first couple of episodes in Gunbuster were essentially parodying shoujo anime and spoiler[the bath scene has to be one of the most blatant and "unneeded" fanservice moments in anime.]

Bottom line: check it out for yourself and just realize that this isn't 1988 anymore, it's 2007 (even if the OVA began late 2004, you understand what I mean).
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:17 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

Chrno2 wrote:

Diebuster is alienating to fans of the original series because, as you pointed it, its visually different. It's honestly to be expected though. Old school art and animation is what makes up Gunbuster, obviously, and to see something that more closely resembles FLCL can be a bit of a put-off.

Personally, while I wasn't really interested in the first two episodes, the third episode definitely made it worthwhile, and episode four -- the episode that Hideaki Anno came in to do the storyboards, for what it matters -- just really drew you in for the remainder of the OVA. (Heh, it has a similar effect that Giant Robo and the original Gunbuster had for me.)

As for why a lot of fans who've watched both heavily criticize the sequel... well, the visuals aside, they generally write it off as being "too silly" and having "too much fanservice," which is laughable considering that the first couple of episodes in Gunbuster were essentially parodying shoujo anime and spoiler[the bath scene has to be one of the most blatant and "unneeded" fanservice moments in anime.]

Bottom line: check it out for yourself and just realize that this isn't 1988 anymore, it's 2007 (even if the OVA began late 2004, you understand what I mean).

I have to agree with you on that. Because the change is style to the more whacky quirky stuff has you wondering, is this the same series? And my take on it was,

"This would be a decent series if it wasn't called 'Gunbuster 2!"

And IT IS A SEQUEL? But again, this is what they wanted to do and the only thing you could do is trust them on this one. And yep, it's not the late 80's anymore. More than likely, you'll either like it or you'll hate it. I'm going to trust them on this to see where 'Gainax' is taking this.

Well, y'know 'Gainax' has to have some obligatory "fanservice". They wouldn't be 'Gainax' without it. They built their fame on it.

Oh to 'Iwatch2muchanime', are you talking about the 'Z-Fighter's as in 'GGG' or something TOTALLY different? Laughing
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
And IT IS A SEQUEL? But again, this is what they wanted to do and the only thing you could do is trust them on this one. And yep, it's not the late 80's anymore. More than likely, you'll either like it or you'll hate it. I'm going to trust them on this to see where 'Gainax' is taking this.

Do so. It's soon to accompany some of the most enjoyables OVAs out there that are available for North American audiences, and it takes the somewhat traditional track that Gainax lies down with a "light-hearted" opening and an "emotional and serious" ending. If you can, as I suggested earlier, get over the shock from how jarring the visuals are compared to the original, then you should come to enjoy it.

Quote:
Well, y'know 'Gainax' has to have some obligatory "fanservice". They wouldn't be 'Gainax' without it. They built their fame on it.

Oh, I'm not saying that I didn't find it amusing Wink but rather that it's hypocritical when people complain about the fanservice in Diebuster, yet ignore the various scenes, particularly the spoiler[bath scene with Noriko, Kazumi, and Jung,] where fanservice was abundant in Gunbuster.

Quote:
Oh to 'Iwatch2muchanime', are you talking about the 'Z-Fighter's as in 'GGG' or something TOTALLY different?

Me thinks that he refers to Dragon Ball Z since they were labeled the "Z-Fighters" from what I remember of those innocent days of youth when I came home from school, pumped up to watch "THE NEXT EXCITING EPISODE OF DRAGON BALL Z~~~!".
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:11 pm Reply with quote
The drawing style of the 80's and early 90's still appeals to me more so when I see the increasing use of the generic style of todays titles. The designs of UY, KOR, Bubblegum Crisis, and the first Gunbuster all had a warmer more appealing feature about them, and each had it's own style that had it's own individuality. It is a shame that when a sequel is made many years later the same style is not used again in continuity of the original. I find that takes away a lot of the appeal that the original had in the first place, which is not fair on the sequel if the story is just as good. It's like having different actors playing the original crew of the Starship Enterprise NCC-1701.
It can be done because it was done for the second KOR movie, which was made several years after the first. They worked hard to get the character designs as close to the original as possible, and was just perfect to my eyes.
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Yoshiyuki Sadamoto was directly involved in the creation of the character designs for Gunbuster (he didn't do the originals, but he adapted them for how they would appear in the show), so I don't think there's any doubt that he was making a conscious decision when designing them for Diebuster.

They're similar to his designs for FLCL, and I don't mind that at all.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Oh to 'Iwatch2muchanime', are you talking about the 'Z-Fighter's as in 'GGG' or something TOTALLY different?

Ya, I was talking about DBZ. They called themselves the Z-figthers, what was it, like once and that was it. But it stuck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2