• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN 5.0 Beta

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:33 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Could you tell us what browser / OS you are using? I'd like to look into that slowness issue.
Konqueror 4.10.5 on Debian GNU/Linux Jessie.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
So you'd prefer the text to be wider but DON'T want it to fill the screen.

Yes, this exactly!

I don't know why exactly but I don't like staring at a screen that has more white space than text and the forum in the new design definitely takes up less than 50% of the screen (it's probably roughly 1/3 of the monitor I'm on right now).

If the forums were the same size as the news section on the main page, as Giolon suggested, I think that would be about perfect. Smaller than they are now (they are definitely a bit on the wide-side at the moment) but not so small that they are dwarfed by the spaced around them. And the sidebar would still fit in nicely for people who don't turn it off.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Look at the account settings again. I've modified the Text width preference so that you can specify a custom number of characters per line. So if you choose something like 150 it should be roughly what you're looking for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Giolon
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
That's a pretty awesome update, Dan42. I've settled with 175 for the moment - which seems closest to the main page's news column. 150 could have been suitable though if it were the only option. Thumbs up!
TheDarkVoid98

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
everything looks great, but it would look more appealing if you add colors to the background like the old site its all blue it would then look a lot less plain!
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
TheDarkVoid98 wrote:
everything looks great, but it would look more appealing if you add colors to the background like the old site its all blue it would then look a lot less plain!

If you go to My ANN then Skins you should be able to change the background there. I only discovered this the other day Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
chronium wrote:
Please have list view as the default layout for the people like me who don't keep cookies. The other 2 layouts are horrible because they pack in so much content that it removes all flow to the website I end up having no idea where to begin to look.

I'm sure there are other people who prefer the grid (I prefer it), so we can't change the default just based on the preference of one person.

The grid view is the main design of the new site, and the others have been added as options for people, such as yourself, who do not like the grid view.

Whether you are using a browser that doesn't support permanent cookies, or (more likely) you have chosen to delete cookies, we can't be expected to redesign the site for visitors who essentially have non-completely-functioning browsers.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Tempest wrote:
Could you tell us what browser / OS you are using? I'd like to look into that slowness issue.
Konqueror 4.10.5 on Debian GNU/Linux Jessie.

UGH. I'm sorry, that's not a setup I have installed on any of my system s(although Dan might have something close).

I was hoping I could test on a similar system and see if I could replicate the problem.

-t
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote
Since it's all GPL stuff it could plausible be loaded up in a virtual machine if someone had the time.

My only machine running linux is Debian but it's Etch IIRC and it is one of these so slow is the norm.... (I got it purely to run as a headless box for doing network diags, and haven't needed to use it since my old job was made redundant)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
chronium

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:58 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
chronium wrote:
Please have list view as the default layout for the people like me who don't keep cookies. The other 2 layouts are horrible because they pack in so much content that it removes all flow to the website I end up having no idea where to begin to look.

Sorry, but if you insist on not keeping cookies you have to be prepared to live with a few inconveniences. I don't think we'll be changing the default.

Then sorry I will never be returning to ANN when the transition happens.
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Dan42 wrote:
So you'd prefer the text to be wider but DON'T want it to fill the screen.

Yes, this exactly!

I don't know why exactly but I don't like staring at a screen that has more white space than text and the forum in the new design definitely takes up less than 50% of the screen (it's probably roughly 1/3 of the monitor I'm on right now).

If the forums were the same size as the news section on the main page, as Giolon suggested, I think that would be about perfect. Smaller than they are now (they are definitely a bit on the wide-side at the moment) but not so small that they are dwarfed by the spaced around them. And the sidebar would still fit in nicely for people who don't turn it off.

I would be very happy with this.

On a side note (not sure if this is a temporary bug or not)when I try to go to my account settings or forum setting on the beta I get a server error on Chrome.

Edit: Never mind, I am having issues accessing the forums all together in the beta so I'm just going to assume it's down for a reason.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Are the "Around the Web" ads a permanent fixture? I noticed them for the first time today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
Even if I've selected "Text-only List View," "Text-only Grid View," or "List View with Images" on the front page, the system (cookie?) never remembers my selection and always returns to the "Grid View with Images" layout.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:39 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Are the "Around the Web" ads a permanent fixture? I noticed them for the first time today.

Yeah, it's something we're trying out.

dormcat wrote:
Even if I've selected "Text-only List View," "Text-only Grid View," or "List View with Images" on the front page, the system (cookie?) never remembers my selection and always returns to the "Grid View with Images" layout.

Only on admin. Because staff needs to be aware of how the front page looks with the default layout.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:14 am Reply with quote
Can't say I like the design. It looks to cluttered, it feels like somehow, I ended up in tumblr or pinterest, which might be intentional, but I have never been a fan of the design of those sites.

I do like the menu bar and flat design in general, but there is a huge waste of space in the forums sides, this will probably be used for ads, but is almost double of the space dedicated for the forum itself.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8