• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Chasing Trains

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:45 am Reply with quote
Ah the middle part of Rumbling Hearts is where every character deserves to be slapped, so not surprising that it would make a viewer want to take a direct approach.

I don't really keep track (no pun intended) of non-anime shows from outside the US but Train Man sounds like a lot of fun. I'll definitely try to check this out.

And yeah, just on name alone Beet the Vandal Buster doesn't sound interesting, so this article only helps confirm my suspicions. And on top of that, badly written dub and then dub titles for the sub.. Yikes!
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, it kind of is, but who's going to buy this DVD, huh?

I'm guessing rpg fans.

Quote:
All the music and dialogue is intact, but everything's been dubtitled.

I read that on AOD, but by "dub-titled", do you mean the subs pop up when no one's speaking?

Anyway, my problem with Train Man is the female lead looks a little too old for the male lead, and isn't that attractive to boot. It makes him look more desperate than honest. On an unrelated note, I hear people were complaining about Viz's release of Kamikaze Girls, so how's the picture, and is it hard-subbed?

Oh, and I can see why Idolmaster wouldn't be released here: People would get bored fast.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:48 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
On an unrelated note, I hear people were complaining about Viz's release of Kamikaze Girls, so how's the picture, and is it hard-subbed?

Wait, Kamikaze Girls wasn't hard-subbed, not that I remember... was it? I guess I never tried to turn them off, but surely I would have noticed when I rented the disc... I didn't notice anything wrong with the picture quality, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
d.yaro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:35 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
GATSU wrote:
On an unrelated note, I hear people were complaining about Viz's release of Kamikaze Girls, so how's the picture, and is it hard-subbed?

Wait, Kamikaze Girls wasn't hard-subbed, not that I remember... was it? I guess I never tried to turn them off, but surely I would have noticed when I rented the disc... I didn't notice anything wrong with the picture quality, either.

Luckily I have my copy on hand... and yes the thing is hard subbed.

I too have a small problem with the cast leads for the Train Man/Densha Otoko movie. Case in point, I found Nakatani Miki much more appealing in "Yaku 30 no Uso" ("Roughly 30 Lies") than in Densha Otoko. If anything she simply looked better in that outing. And for me, no matter how hard Yamada tried to act geeky, it just wasn't convincing enough. The man is simply too good looking. If anything I'm guilty of having my expectations molded by the television series (which I saw before the movie).

ps: Idolm@aster... Oh dear. First "Strike Witches" and then that. There's a limit to what I can take in one weekend.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
All the music and dialogue is intact, but everything's been dubtitled.

Dubtitling is when the subtitle track is just a literal copy of the dub track. Very frowned upon.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:20 am Reply with quote
After reading the review I decided to pop in the third volume of Tactics. I will say that this volume is the best so far, with my favorite episode centering around Reiko. The show comes across as a softer and elegant version of Requiem From the Darkness. I will add I believe this show is also dubtitled!

There is a point at the end of the DVD where Suzu has a sentence which is followed by Now Now Now Now. I turned up my receiver expecting to hear Ima Ima Ima Ima, but instead heard nothing. I then turned on the English track and heard Now Now Now Now. There are many other places where a character's name will be replaced with a phrase, or the name with something added that isn't in the Japanese dialogue.

I really should have taken notes since there were so many points where the subs didn't quite match up. I do recall at one point there is a line Naze, followed by Taicho. Which was translated as Captain followed by Why. Although this is a minor translator conscious choice which might work better for the dub, I find the switch odd for subs. I really never pay too close attention to subs since it takes a little more concentration to listen and read dialogue at the same time (especially when I'm sleepy) but have been paying a bit more attention since the Bleach vol.1 thread started. Maybe I'm overreacting.

I will agtree that this show is great and 5 episodes per DVD is a great deal. The show is presented in 5.1 in both languages, and the extras are fun. Despite it's length, and audio bandwith Manga manages to keep the anamorphic image very clear. This show would benefit from cultural notes for those who are not familiar with Japanese mythology. I really wonder how much more we will see of Minamoto Raiko. It's weird to see him portrayed as a bad guy after watching both Kai Doh Maru and Otogi Zoshi.
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:18 am Reply with quote
Weren't there 3 manga series for Train Main? I know the shoujo variety is only a one-shot (brought over by Del Rey), but it should still count, right? And then there are still the other two series of the seinen and shounen variety? (CMX and Viz are brining those over?)

Nice column this week, talks about a few things I've been eying.. I'm getting curious about Rumbling Hearts although it's still not available on Netflix yet, and I'm not willing to risk buying a romance without previewing it. Romance is hit or miss for me, I usually don't watch romantic stuff outside of anime.
bayoab

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:39 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Anyway, my problem with Train Man is the female lead looks a little too old for the male lead, and isn't that attractive to boot. It makes him look more desperate than honest. On an unrelated note, I hear people were complaining about Viz's release of Kamikaze Girls, so how's the picture, and is it hard-subbed?
I thought the movie was trying to more make the point of her being a normal random woman (which fits more with the chat logs) instead of some extremely good looking one.

Hardsubbed? If it is... wow. I can't believe Viz would... no wait, I can. What did they do with all the 2ch posts that come flying onscreen then?

Mylene wrote:
Weren't there 3 manga series for Train Main? I know the shoujo variety is only a one-shot (brought over by Del Rey), but it should still count, right? And then there are still the other two series of the seinen and shounen variety? (CMX and Viz are brining those over?)

There are 4(!) manga series for Train Man:
CMX
Del Rey
Unlicensed
Viz
I would put down my usual commentary but at this hour, they were all forgetable.
rabble

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This week's photo submission is from John C. Watson, whose collection makes me cry.

Me too, it is kind of small. And isn't that a non-anime title on the far rack, third shelf down, second disk over? Anime exclamation
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:10 am Reply with quote
Wow I thought it was a pretty large collection. I'll never be able to beat that. Not this poor girl. Crying or Very sad
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:04 am Reply with quote
Good column as always, but outside of KimiNozo/Rumbling Hearts, I'm not interested in any of the titles listed. I might check out Tactics on a later date, but it's not high on my watch list at this moment.

Mylene wrote:
I'm getting curious about Rumbling Hearts although it's still not available on Netflix yet, and I'm not willing to risk buying a romance without previewing it. Romance is hit or miss for me, I usually don't watch romantic stuff outside of anime.

KimiNozo's not available at Netflix? I'm going to have to send a request to them, although I don't know how long it takes them to fill out the request. I sent a request for them to carry Nerima Daikon Brothers a couple of months ago, but I still don't see it listed on their site yet. (FYI: I sent the request as a favor for someone else. I already have Vol. #1 of NDB and plan on purchasing Vol. #2 when it comes out February 20.)
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quote
nice reivews!

how many dvds is that? and where did you buy your shelves- i need so new ones Smile

I wonder if Beet the Vandel Buster will join the other anime on CN at the crack of dawn?

I'm really sad about Tactics. The manga looked intrested (then adv ran with it and its been in a hidden location ever since) and then I saw the show. And i wasn't impressed. Even at the end.

They're still making Comic Party? I remember when the first seris was coming out and I got the dvd in Newtype. maybe I should give this show another chance.

I have yet to pick up Rumbling Heart because it was awol at Best Buy. maybe its just that good.

i wish we could have seen close up! All I can make out was Excel saga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bennyb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:33 pm Reply with quote
That Train Man sounds pretty fascinating (and alot like my life lol) so I'll prolly check it out
ikky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Very nice to see some pimping of Train Man/Densha Otoko! It is my personal favourite love story, and the movie is a great adaptation of it.

No matter how good people say Rumbling Hearts/Kiminozo is, it can't hold my eyes' attention for long because of the really plain character designs Neutral
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
KimiNozo's not available at Netflix? I'm going to have to send a request to them, although I don't know how long it takes them to fill out the request. I sent a request for them to carry Nerima Daikon Brothers a couple of months ago, but I still don't see it listed on their site yet. (FYI: I sent the request as a favor for someone else. I already have Vol. #1 of NDB and plan on purchasing Vol. #2 when it comes out February 20.)

Both volumes have a listing on the site, technically, but volume one's status is unknown ("save" only), while volume 2 has an actual date listed, but of course isn't out yet (yet it's already in my actual queue). Not sure what the delay is on volume 1, particularly since they seem to have more definite plans to stock volume 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3