• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime LA: Bandai Visual Report

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dejiko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In Gunbuster, the music in Noriko's training session with Coach has been replaced.

I know it was a thinly disguised variation on 'Chariots of Fire', but why change it after all those years? The most recent Japanese release kept the original in, so does this mean the change was made to avoid possible future copyright related trouble in the US?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:17 am Reply with quote
Maybe we'll finally get a decent-looking Honneamise DVD, as opposed to Manga's train-wreck of a disc?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quote
Honneamise is gonna be a tough sell. I'd imagine it didn't do well enough for Manga to go through the trouble of double-dipping on it. I'm hoping they're eavesdropping on this thread, so I can let them know I'd rather get Angel's Egg and
Silent Mobius instead.

The song change is bs, though. The original music has long been parodied without repercussions, so I don't see why Gunbuster would be at risk, especially
if U.S. Renditions already got away with it. It reminds me a lot of Geneon removing that Justice League ad from Mystery of Mamo, even though Macek encountered no legal problems from it.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'd imagine it didn't do well enough for Manga to go through the trouble of double-dipping on it.

Actually, I think it did quite well for them over time. The reason it never got a re-release was because they were never able to obtain the remastered prints from Bandai Visual.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to see a good quality of Honneamise. Also about the music being changed. I've never seen that scene, but if it's a slight variation on Chariots of Fire whats the deal? I really hope that Wing of Rean gets a good release as well because I really want to see that.
johnmora

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad all these great animes are getting the Bandai Visual treatment.
marklungo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Wings of Honneamise is an anime classic that deserves first-class treatment. I hope the new version will include all the extras and commentaries from the Manga release, plus new material (and a better transfer, obviously). BTW, does anyone know if Gainax will ever actually make Blue Uru?
forever_young

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
What would be great is if they included a manga with the Honneamise release, ala what Sin City did with its SE DVD.
I returned the 1st release of Sin City, because there were no special features. Had to wait only 4 months for the larger release, but worth it when there was a graphic novel included.

Here's hoping they are reading these!
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Wings of Honneamise has me pretty excited. Been wanting an at least half-way good looking release for a while now. In fact, I have been looking for a legit copy for quite some time now. I hope they go through with it, I will buy it for sure, maybe even two Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marklungo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote
forever_young wrote:
What would be great is if they included a manga with the Honneamise release, ala what Sin City did with its SE DVD.

Considering that Honneamise wasn't adapted from a manga AFAIK, I wouldn't hold my breath. But as long as we're fantasizing, one thing I'd like from the new release is an English commentary track from the film's biggest booster, Carl Gustav Horn.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
marklungo wrote:
Considering that Honneamise wasn't adapted from a manga AFAIK, I wouldn't hold my breath. But as long as we're fantasizing, one thing I'd like from the new release is an English commentary track from the film's biggest booster, Carl Gustav Horn.

That could be incredibly interesting. Carl's always got good, solid, informative things to say.

My personal "that would be AWESOME" extra would be the OOP, hard-as-heck to find soundtrack. I would certainly pay a ridiculous amount of money if BVUSA made that happen somehow.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I can't wait to see a good quality of Honneamise. Also about the music being changed. I've never seen that scene, but if it's a slight variation on Chariots of Fire whats the deal? I really hope that Wing of Rean gets a good release as well because I really want to see that.

Actually, the song isn't even a "slight variation". It merely sounds similar. The two aren't really all that close. It's an homage. It's also a big deal, as it radically changes the feel of the scene, removes a unique piece of score, and uses a unique piece of score from a seperate episode. It also has a dip in quality due to the remix.

As for Manga and Honneamise, according to Keith Burgess, BV screwed them over when they tryed to renew it. They upped the price so much as to make a DVD release unprofitable. When Manga asked for the R2 features, they jacked up the price even more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:27 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Honneamise is gonna be a tough sell. I'd imagine it didn't do well enough for Manga to go through the trouble of double-dipping on it. I'm hoping they're eavesdropping on this thread, so I can let them know I'd rather get Angel's Egg and Silent Mobius instead.

Honneamise will be at least as good of a seller as the rereleased Patlabor films. I was a bit disappointed with the bonus discs for these two movies, but the books that were included are really gorgeous. I also like the sturdy shiny boxes that they came in. I didn't notice until much later that they are slightly different colors since they never left my really dark (no walls shared with the outside world) bedroom. The off gold and off silver reminds me of origami. I hope they go all out and have a super premium version.
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Rumor has it that Carl is involved with Gunbuster and Wings of Honeamise re-issue. So would guess that he does have part in the commentary.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
I'd like Toren Smith to do commentary for Gunbuster.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2