• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - January 27th - February 2nd

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RezSav

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:07 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Tennis, anyone else see that thrashing Williams laid down on Sharapova? Good stuff Smile
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:17 am Reply with quote
Crap, I missed it......I forgot all about it. I was almost hoping for Sharapova to win, I'm getting tired of seeing the all powerful Serena beat some ass on the court.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:11 pm Reply with quote
According to my Voltron DVD blue lion tin set, "Give me your Princess" is episode 15 and not 17 like it is stated in the column.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Man, I always need to have a dictionary (or rather Firefox's search bar for Answers.com) to be able to fully read this column! And you used effervescence twice!

Quote:
These constant Naruto marathons are getting a little bit out of hand.

No, no they're not. I need mah Naruto, and as long as CN keeps the marathons coming, all will be well! Plus, they can speed through lengthy sections of episodes or show freaking awesome groups of episodes all at once! w00t!

Quote:
HIGHLY APPROPOS EPISODE TITLE ALERT: The once-strong Twilight Brigade clan engages in a bit of a tiff, thus causing much of its members to consider splitting up.

zOMG haha n00b speeling errror!

Quote:
That's all for my pithy commentary, as I'll be in Phoenix for the weekend as part of the Phoenix Comicon shenanigans! As always, I'll be around next week for another bout of fun-like simulacrum!

Yes! Phoenix Wright!
TcDohl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quote
*Yawn* It's pronounced NAY-REW-TOE. Believe it! :p

Uhhh... Will that be deleted? It's called a joke. Laugh. Hahaha. Have a sense of humour.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:06 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
Speaking of Tennis, anyone else see that thrashing Williams laid down on Sharapova? Good stuff Smile

that it was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Crap! Those two episodes of Naruto were awesome! I need more! Oh, wait! A Cartoon Network preview commercial is on right now for the next episode as I'm typing this! w00t! Looks great, too! YES YES YES!
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Calm down boy! Don't crap your pants or something! I mean, it's a good series and all, but man that's scary!Shocked

Anyways, Naruto is getting to a VERY good part in the series right now in the dub verison, so I personally don't mind the marathons at all. Mabye I could do without all the reapeats, but I would at least like to see them get through the series as soon as possible.

I am kind of enjoying the weekday afternoon episodes. Gives me something to sit back, relax, and watch after a long day!
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:20 am Reply with quote
It's nah-ROO-toh. In Japanese, the middle syllable tends to be stressed in names, not all thrr times, but they usually do.
rocklobster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:14 am Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Calm down boy! Don't crap your pants or something! I mean, it's a good series and all, but man that's scary!Shocked

Anyways, Naruto is getting to a VERY good part in the series right now in the dub verison, so I personally don't mind the marathons at all. Mabye I could do without all the reapeats, but I would at least like to see them get through the series as soon as possible.

I am kind of enjoying the weekday afternoon episodes. Gives me something to sit back, relax, and watch after a long day!

Especially with Naruto: Hurricane Chronicles airing in Japan next month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
ArielTsuki wrote:
It's nah-ROO-toh. In Japanese, the middle syllable tends to be stressed in names, not all thrr times, but they usually do.

You have a greater ability to read the language than me, but I still thought Japanese was a much more monotonous language than our Western languages, so something like "Naruto" would basically be stressed the same on each syllable.

And about that Hurricane Chronicles thing, is that just the anime ending its fillers? Is the anime even airing right now, or is it on hiatus until Hurricane Chronicles? How many episodes of fillers were there, anyway?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
Did I miss the listing for the premiers of Kyo Kara Maoh! & The Count of Monte Cristo (sorry can't spell the "real" name) and two others on ImagineAsian TV?

In case anyone's interested they start at 5 pm California time to 7 pm and then repeat at 8 pm (I think).

I just realized that It might help to put what DAY (I must have been tired from work last night Rolling Eyes ).

It will air tomorrow - Tuesday Jan. 30.

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
kolibri

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
ArielTsuki wrote:

No, that's the American pronunciation. As Josh7289 notes, all syllables are stressed the same - English speaking people have difficulties with this so sometimes advice is given to stress the first syllable, that produces a similar effect. And the 'u' in Sasuke is supposed to be almost silent Wink
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:

And about that Hurricane Chronicles thing, is that just the anime ending its fillers? Is the anime even airing right now, or is it on hiatus until Hurricane Chronicles?

Hurricane Chronicles will end the fillers, yes, as an entirely new series. The fillers are still running, but there are on the last filler arc with only 2 episodes remaining. You might also see it under the name Naruto: Shipuden
Quote:
How many episodes of fillers were there, anyway?

Too many to count! Evil or Very Mad They have been running for about 1 1/2 years and started with episode 136. Episode 218 was the last episode shown, and they will go to episode 220, which means that there have been 83 filler episodes and there will be 85 filler episodes, all but a few of them have sucked big time.

Hopefully, they only show like the last filler or something to give the series a proper ending in the dub version and leave the rest of them for something like a "lost episodes" special DVD release.

Quote:
Especially with Naruto: Hurricane Chronicles airing in Japan next month.

I don't think they'll have to worry about catching up with it though. It'll probably be about another year or so before they reach where the filler started, which will give Hurricane Chronicles enough time to get about 50 or so episode releases. And if they skip most if not all but the last one of the filler episodes, the whole series will end in the dub version at about the same time as it reaches around episode 50, so they can license Hurricane Chronicles with no worry of catching up to it.

Also, it will probably take some time before they do license it, which will give it some time to release even more episodes before it begins here in the US.

All I basically said was that I would like to see them get through the series as soon as possible so that it won't take them more than a year to get through the rest of the episodes.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:36 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
RezSav wrote:

that it was.

Was no one rooting for Sharapova? (Speaking of syllable emphasis, that's "Sha-RAH-po-va".) Why can't the women players who aren't men in skirts win the big ones? I mean, Maria was #1, but probably only because she hasn't been playing Serena much in the last year. Is this the future of women's tennis? Testosterone-fueled power players like Williams (mainly Serena -- look at those arms, she could break Maria like a twig!) and Mauresmo (and Davenport, although she's old news these days)?

If the best players always look like that, I'll stick to watching men's tennis.

Re Japanese syllables, I am no expert, but I did think that they all got the same emPHASis. To the English speaker, though, it sounds like the first syllable is being accented.

Last edited by Iritscen on Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2