• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animage Founder Passes Away

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, that is news. R.I.P, I know he was glad to know that he gave much into a great publication for the animation industry and more. Hell, 'Animage' was one of the first import magazines I was collecting. I still have some from the days of 86'.

I always had this feeling that 'Animage' had some connection to 'Ghibli' considering most of the images you'd see on the cover.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I always had this feeling that 'Animage' had some connection to 'Ghibli' considering most of the images you'd see on the cover.

Tokuma Shoten.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HarlockHero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:48 pm Reply with quote
If I'm remembering correctly, I believe it was Ogata who introduced Toshio Suzuki to Miyazaki in the first place. Where would we all be without such a man??

It's one of my otaku holy grails to one day possess the entire 79 - 89 run of Animage, the dates that comprise my favorite era of anime; it's Ogata's understanding of fandom that makes such a memorial meaningful in the first place.
Second_Ignition_Yui

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:04 am Reply with quote
The world is now less [expletive] awesome Sad
Twage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:04 am Reply with quote
What is the source for Takahata and Suzuki attending the funeral? Obviously they probably would have, but near as I can tell the only person the Ghibli blog explicitly says attended was Miyazaki.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:23 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Tokuma Shoten.

Yep. That's it.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote
HarlockHero wrote:
If I'm remembering correctly, I believe it was Ogata who introduced Toshio Suzuki to Miyazaki in the first place. Where would we all be without such a man??

It's one of my otaku holy grails to one day possess the entire 79 - 89 run of Animage, the dates that comprise my favorite era of anime; it's Ogata's understanding of fandom that makes such a memorial meaningful in the first place.

Wow, that's fantastic. What a great era animation-wise, and to have all of them? Yowza.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:12 am Reply with quote
HarlockHero wrote:

I have almost all of the Animage issues from around 1985-1993 with a good nunber from the 79-85 era. I remember waiting each month to see how my favorite characters (mostly Gundam, and later Z Gundam) would stack up in the monthly polls. Do you remember how Nausicaa reigned supreme for so many years! I think the first person to have passed her was Nadia, which made me a little sad. I made sure to buy the Grand Prix issue every year. I love how the magazine is square bound, since decades of Newtypes don't sit very well on the shelves. I have to alternate which way the spines face so they won't all go sliding to the floor. I also miss the older magazine The Anime which covers my fan years up to the point where Newtype took over,
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quote
Such a great man, my honors and condolences goes to him, he created such a fine magazine in the golden era of "Non pop" anime.

Animage was always (if not still is) ahead of its competitors, Newtype never took over.

so I wish that he had a nice pasing out, in peace, and I will be looking forward to chat anime to him when I die too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1