• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GCI Gatchaman Set for 2008

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zillion29

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Interesting concept, but ya gotta admit - it's a major recipe for mind-bending suckitude if it's not handled properly. Someone needs to tell Munroe that Gatchaman is NOT TMNT. He'll need to up his game big time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Professor Genius

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Nowhere in the article does it say that the Gatchaman film being worked on is live-action at all. For one thing, the TMNT movie is computer-animated. Why would Munroe and his team be working on a live-action film if his background is in video games, which is why he's working on the CG TMNT feature. I'm pretty sure this Gatchaman is computer animated, as toonzone.net reported on Munroe talking up Gatchaman several months ago. It is certainly by no means breaking news.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:03 pm Reply with quote
.....wonderfull. apparently there is almost nothing the film industry isnt willing to touch. cant transformers bomb already so that this whole crappy mess gets thrown out?

when hollywood runs out of ideas for movies so much that they want to make anime adaptations, it pretty much means its close to the end of the film industry in the US.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I love Gatch, and have heard good things so far, but this can go wrong fast if something isn't done correctly.

Better this than "Talking animal with celebrity voice" movie #1000.
Ken-san

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I think a live-action Gatchaman could be REALLY cool. If they don't make it campy and treat it halfway serious like they should then it could end up as a franchise. And a viable one at that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tekwych

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I know that Imagi has said for almost a year now that they are developing the character designs for a CGI Gatchaman. I'v heard nothing of a new live action version before this. I think someone got something wrong along the way. The only Live version of Gatchaman that I'm aware of are the old power company commercials.
belligerent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
I guess at least this is being promoted as a Gatchaman movie and not a BATTLE OF THE PLANETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111 or G-FORCE movie. Or EAGLE RIDERS THE MOVIE.

Although, I've known about this for a while. It seems like it's taking them a long time if they're only just now going HAY GUYZ LOOK WHAT WE DOIN.

Quote:
The only Live version of Gatchaman that I'm aware of are the old power company commercials.

Hahaha, you mean the ones with SMAP?

I guess I will reserve judgment on this thing until I see it for myself (even if that's NO FUN AT ALL!!!!!!), but aside from ADV's recent DVD releases, we don't really have a history of treating the franchise right in America. I feel like it gets slapped around while we take its money sometimes, like we are its abusive pimp... Like, uh, Munier Sharrief's (I don't doubt I spelled his name wrong) random BotP fanfiction they made into a comic for Top Cow. The art was good, but the writing was kind of too serious for this show. It was like GEE FORCE EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEME.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:41 pm Reply with quote
The Seventh Son wrote:
.....wonderfull. apparently there is almost nothing the film industry isnt willing to touch. can't transformers bomb already so that this whole crappy mess gets thrown out?

when hollywood runs out of ideas for movies so much that they want to make anime adaptations, it pretty much means its close to the end of the film industry in the US.

I love this attitude, it seems to conveniently ignore the increasing number of anime series that are based on stories and books and novels from outside of Japan. It doesn't mean that it's close to the end of the film industry in the US, try again, it means that there's an increased level of respect towards anime in the US entertainment industry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Be interesting to see I think. I've only seen one ep. of the ADV dub, and used to occasionally Eagle Riders when I could. It's an interesting concept: the ultra popular mecha category with the concept of sentai into a series made by the dude who did Speed Racer. Sad thing he's gone.
tekwych

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Imagi is going at it in the right way. While they were forced by contract to keep TMNT at a G rating They have said point blank that Gatchaman will be lucky to get a PG-13 and they have no problem accepting an R if thats what it comes to but he wants to be true to "the source"
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quote
I don't get why Gatchaman would need an R.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
it means that there's an increased level of respect towards anime in the US entertainment industry.

Is this respect as in "This property can make for a good story", or respect as in "This property can make for a new sports car in my garage?" With respect like that, who needs haters?

I'm just being pessimistic; maybe things will work out. And maybe I can make Joel Schumacher's head explode by thinking about it hard enough, but you don't see me getting my hopes up. I just have too little faith in Hollywood phonies who latch onto whatever looks to be cool with the kids at the moment but don't understand/care about the property.
tekwych

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Does any film need an R? If they keep the CGI as graphic as the series but with the added quality of todays animation techniques then add a little nudity as most seam to do and you could quickly push the boundaries of todays overly conservative Film Ratings Board. Remember the FRB works on their own agenda and still has not fully explained their rules and reasons, even to the directors and producers that are beholden to them.

Go rent "This Film Not Yet Rated"
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is this respect as in "This property can make for a good story", or respect as in "This property can make for a new sports car in my garage?" With respect like that, who needs haters?

Probably a little from column A and a little from column B. It's an art industry, you'll always have those who are artists and those who are businessmen involved who will look at it from different perspectives. Anime isn't exactly different in that respect either.

Quote:

You never know these days, one of the characters might look at you funny during the film. Sometimes it seems like that's all it takes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belligerent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:58 pm Reply with quote
The series wasn't that graphic, though. Yeah, a lot of goons die, but it's like the equivalent of redshirt deaths in Star Trek except not as bad because these are bad guys. The few major deaths there are aren't really bloody or anything... True, the Sandy Frank version edited out every instance of violence so our preshuss snoflakes wouldn't be exposed to it, but the Japanese Gatchaman was aimed at children.

I'm actually kind of worried if they're making it an R-rated movie. That sounds like Top Cow's "let's make it edgier by having everybody talk like teenagers who just discovered swear words." Gatchaman really isn't that kind of anime. It's got serious themes in it, but really it's just a show about teeenagers in silly birdsuits and bellbottoms.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2