• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa to Sell BitTorrent Films in US

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChichiriMuyo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:07 am Reply with quote
'Bout time someone did it. Since it's BT their costs are reduced on transfering the data and, hey, if you like the company you could spend extra time seeding to help them make more movies.
genman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:16 am Reply with quote
Kadokawa made some pretty good films in the 1980's including "Toki o Kakeru Shojo" and "Detective Story" ... Hopefully these will be included...
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:40 am Reply with quote
I wonder if it's just live-action or anime as well.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:10 pm Reply with quote
So they've finally caught on for how to make money here in the US. Bold step and should get their movies some attention out here.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they realise just how many of their top titles are on Bit torrent already, Like TMHS? Wink
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I wonder if they realise just how many of their top titles are on Bit torrent already, Like TMHS? Wink

Yeah I wonder if Kadokawa is going to go after any sites that are hosting their titles illegal now.
LightYagami

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:04 am Reply with quote
Can someone explain how selling films through bitTorrent works? For example, How much will each film cost(flat rate or will it depend on the film?)? Will the user be able to have the film on their hard drive permanently or will it automatically delete itself after a certain time period? What format will the downloaded films be in? And will the user need a key of some sort which can only be purchased when the user downloads the torrent file?
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:48 am Reply with quote
Interesting to see how that will work out...

will they have subtitles is what I wonder....

I'll definately have to check out their site.
10円

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:02 am Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:
Can someone explain how selling films through bitTorrent works? For example, How much will each film cost(flat rate or will it depend on the film?)? Will the user be able to have the film on their hard drive permanently or will it automatically delete itself after a certain time period? What format will the downloaded films be in? And will the user need a key of some sort which can only be purchased when the user downloads the torrent file?

It's hard to say for certain how a specific vendor will choose to sell their content online before the deed is actually done. The various DRM methodologies already in place theoretically allow for all sorts of consumer-friendly options, but the practical reality of royalty chasing and protracted stubbornness has left all the venues I've experimented with working in a fairly similar manner. Basically you download the movie any number of ways in an encrypted format that makes use of one of a handful of DRM technologies. You pay for your content through a standard web-based checkout process that's tied to any of the usual financial networks. Then you typically get a non-recoverable, non-movable license from one of the DRM license services that's tied to your PC's various components. This can include anything and everything with a unique serial number (MAC, CPU, chipset, WXP, WMP, Vista, etc).

The main variations I've seen so far are pay-per-view, pay-per-time, and pay-per-computer. None of the schemes I've seen or read about involve any files "self deleting" like you describe; they simply refuse to play when the software checks for a valid license. In previous eras you could just reset the clock on your computer but modern DRM schemes aren't as easily fooled by such nonsense. A few services like Apple's iTunes and Amazon's unbox allow for purchasers to un-register and re-register devices to allow for upgrades and the like but a surprising number of providers still do not offer this rather obvious necessity at any price. That generally leaves you with a choice of losing your content or breaking the law if your playback device dies on you or becomes completely obsolete.

None of the modern DRM encryption methods has ever been truly broken. Even the hacking of the DVD encryption scheme, WMX and the more recent hacking of the primary HD-DVD and Blu-ray encryption schemes were accomplished solely through end-runs around the encryption itself. In fact all such systems were hacked by analyzing the functionality of pre-Vista software players. DVD's CSS encryption scheme was hacked by reverse engineering key parts of the Xing software player and both HD-DVD's and Blu-ray's AACS encryption scheme was apparently hacked by reverse engineering parts of the Cyberlink software player. After Windows Vista (and forced 'security' updates on an almost daily basis) all of this may finally come to an end and DRM will go back to being the nearly worthless anti-consumer money trap it was originally intended to be.

However, in the mean time you can still unwrap some DRM schemes from content you've already purchased legally in order to allow you to move the content to a newer computer or otherwise unsupported playback device. I won't tell you how it's done because of the dual-purpose it could serve for worthless scumbag pirates and the fact that it would break ANN's own rules, but if you do a search after your purchase you can probably figure it out. It took me all of about fifteen minutes to figure out how to fix my most recent DRM purchase after completely loosing a previous purchase when my last computer bit the dust. Now I can still access the content I paid for on any machine I own in the future and I won't be tied to some old machine that serves no purpose other than to allow me access to my own media.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Shocked wow. theres just one problem.......they might charge people at JAPANESE prices. take note that some of their dvds are 3 eps for $50
10円

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:13 pm Reply with quote
The Seventh Son wrote:
Shocked wow. theres just one problem.......they might charge people at JAPANESE prices. take note that some of their dvds are 3 eps for $50

Not to worry; Japanese prices for downloads are typically cheaper than the costs for physical media. However, for Americans who are used to downloading everything they want for free and who are likely to balk at even $20 for an average domestic anime DVD release, well, I'm sure any price would be too much.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting indeed. A major Japanese company (one of their major projects was the Eva films that they worked on with two other giants, Gainax, of course, and the world famous Toei) would put bits of their library on BT (pun intended) since it's one of the most famed sites that does file sharing that conflicts with that copyright crap.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
It's an interesting concept, but it's not something that intrigues me at the moment. That, coupled with the fact that the university's server apparently doesn't like BT, will keep this development on the backburner for me. But as others have said, I'll keep some attention to how Kadokawa handles any potential copyright issues.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1