• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fantastic Children DVD 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote
I agree 100% with the review (apart from the comments on the dub, which I haven't listened to). I'm one of the people who actually thought the latter half of Fantastic Children was even more engaging than the first. There really are a ton of heart-wrenching moments, especially when spoiler[Thoma regains his memory. Not only do we have to see Seth's agony when he realizes he's killed Soran, but directly after that we see Thoma's even more terrible agony, along with the shock of being forced to re-live such a horrible moment, and we realize how long Seth has been suffering to try and correct things with Tina.] That whole sequence was handled with such delicacy and heart, it is easily one of the most effective emotional scenes I've ever witnessed.

Fantastic Children is one of the few TV anime titles in which I was consistently impressed with the character animation throughout the entire series. It's far above average, and I was happy to see the high quality commended in the review. It's too bad that not many people are talking about this show. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:48 am Reply with quote
You know, I'm really still cursing myself for not picking this series up from the beginning, so it'd be really nice to see a box set/thinpack release in the near future.

Great review, I really want to see this. I love the old-school art.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quote
JoshuaStChristopher wrote:
You know, I'm really still cursing myself for not picking this series up from the beginning, so it'd be really nice to see a box set/thinpack release in the near future.

Great review, I really want to see this. I love the old-school art.

I've also been interested in this series for a while, and this review is even more incentive to pick it up. Bandai's boxes are usually pretty cheap, so I guess I'm going to just wait and pick that up rather than tracking down individual disks.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:13 am Reply with quote
Right now you can find all of the individual volumes for just a little over $12 each at DeepDiscountDVD, so it's already quite a cheap series. And my impression is that the series isn't selling well, so there might not ever be a boxed set.

I also totally agree with the review and ratings, especially the comments about the special ending. Though only 5-6 minutes long, it is utterly satisfying in bringing closure to the series. And it's one of the rare cases where I absolutely refused to even give the English dub a try. (There was a very good reason why I rated the series as having one of the two worst dubs of 2006, and Karl explains it pretty well.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
barbapapa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:38 am Reply with quote
Fantastic Children blew me away. It's definitely one of the most engrossing experiences I've had since I started watching anime.
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:58 am Reply with quote
barbapapa wrote:
Fantastic Children blew me away. It's definitely one of the most engrossing experiences I've had since I started watching anime.

An absolute must-own series that should rightfully be in every fan's library.

The dub? Sounded like they pulled people in from the mailroom, the UPS driver, the water delivery guy, that little coffee shop down the street, and threw in some random homeless folk for good measure because Phil in marketing pointed out that no one in the US would buy this if they have to read subtitles and voila! An English dub! The only positive was that it was, indeed, in English.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quote
By the way, I was wondering if someone could post a short summary of what happens in the special ending? With spoiler tags of course.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quote
The special ending spoiler[basically shows all of the characters going home - in the case of the Children of Befort, the homes they had before they "turned." Very heartwarming stuff.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Nice review! I think Fantastic Children is an absolutely great show that really deserves more attention. I haven't heard the dub yet, but from what I gather that's a good thing. It's quite a shame because I feel this show would work great with a good English language track.

I wish Bandai would have sold an artbox with one of the discs, but then I suppose it's not popular enough.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:41 pm Reply with quote
This series has been lurking in my consciousness for a while now, but yesterday the strangest thing happened---thanks to a dead car, I was trapped in a movie theater late at night with a friend, a suspicious security guard, a little arcade room, and six dollars. The arcade room had one of those games where a stack of DVDs spins around absurdly fast and you hit the button to see if you can make it stop exactly on the single tiny row of green lights. Some people ahead of us were playing it, and after watching them fail for a while I thought I had a pretty good idea of when to hit the button. The only DVD on the stack I would conceivably want was the first of Fantastic Children, and after a spending those six dollars, on my last play, I managed to win it. (The really odd thing is that I never missed by a margin of more than one row of lights... gosh, almost like the game was rigged.) I defended this moronic activity by pointing out that I paid only a little over a dollar per episode, and now that I've read more on the series I'm quite looking forward to reveling in my loot...
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Right now you can find all of the individual volumes for just a little over $12 each at DeepDiscountDVD, so it's already quite a cheap series. And my impression is that the series isn't selling well, so there might not ever be a boxed set.

Even if it isn't a "best seller" by any means, I can't entirely see Bandai Ent. not releasing a brick collection of Fantastic Children at some point, most likely late this year or very early in 2008. There are exceptions like the original Mobile Suit Gundam, but I think that, for all intents and purposes, they put out their series at some point in a brick collection, more recently under the "Anime Legends" label. I'd sure as hell be willing to check into a set should they release one.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the last three episodes of this series. I was a bit suprised that Thoma spoiler[was Seth in his past life since I thought he was going to be the other guy and Chitto was going to be Seth.] I also like the usage of the OP song during the ending of the series since it beings a nice closure. That extra ending is surprisingly long. Where did it first make it's appearance? Was it a first pressing bonus, or did it actually make it to it's broadcast? Did this series remind anyone else of Boku Tama?[/quote]
leongsh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:47 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I also like the usage of the OP song during the ending of the series since it beings a nice closure. That extra ending is surprisingly long. Where did it first make it's appearance? Was it a first pressing bonus, or did it actually make it to it's broadcast?

The special ending was not shown during the show's broadcast. Available only on DVD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1