• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-02-09]

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quote
I can't believe that the flake wrote you again! I'm beginning to be worried about him. Do you think his parents know about his...beliefs?

The Ranter wrote:
Quote:
Now, I have a question to licensors, etc, or anyone that works for them (hint, hint), why don't you put the original version of the shows on the discs?

Huh? What the hell does that mean? The original version IS on the disk, with subtitles! Does anyone understand what the ranter means?
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I can't believe that the flake wrote you again! I'm beginning to be worried about him.
For those who haven't picked up on it yet, it's a lame troll. He is still amusing though.

I can't believe that rant got published. It doesn't even say anything.
Rant wrote:
Now, I have a question to licensors, etc, or anyone that works for them (hint, hint), why don't you put the original version of the shows on the discs?
I really hope that is only referring to Pokemon/YGO/etc since 99% of shows do have the original Japanese audio on them. For many of those shows, not enough people would bother buying it to even justify the cost of it to the companies.

And wow, another person complaining about the Naruto dub... they really need to find a new excuse to not buy it.

Edit: Added clarifier. There have been stupid decisions by companies.

Last edited by bayoab on Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
I can't believe that the flake wrote you again! I'm beginning to be worried about him.
For those who haven't picked up on it yet, it's a lame troll.

Oh, I realize he's a lame troll! Very Happy Wink But, you can still worry about the mental stability of lame trolls, can't you?

Anyone want to take bets that he'll write to Answerman next week?
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
Good to hear the flake learned "ransegan" Rolling Eyes

bayoab wrote:

Same feelings here. I thought people were supposed to send in their "best and brightest rants". I'd be afraid to read the ones that didn't get published.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:29 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:

Sometimes I like to publish the terrible ones just for a laugh.

Quote:

For those who haven't picked up on it yet, it's a lame troll. He is still amusing though.

Normally I'd believe that but the letters this guy sends, along with his myspace and his livejournal, lead me to believe he's dead serious.

I think he's an "otakukin", one of these people that sincerely believe that they used to be an anime character in a past life.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
First things first Sandra that banner is wonderful.

Now on to my thoughts about the column...

For me I generally read manga. But I have been known to go into a Comic book store now and then. I've seen people go at it about Comics vs. Manga and the fights generally end with both sides either at a draw or more of the X fans crush the Y fans or vice versa. My thoughts: they're both great depending on what you like. Each has its own things that make it special and the only difference is probably the price. (not that i mind ^-^)

I'm going to give you a few shows that stood out to me as really funny. if you're into comedy try:
Neirma Diakon Brothers but get ready for singing
Excel Saga Funny but it can get to be outragous at some points. it's made by the same guy who made the anime above
The Slayers This show is great and funny. It has some serious parts But you'll get hooked [/b]
Hope that helps you...if not I've got plenty of more to recomend.

I'd sure hate to meet that fox guy in a dark alley. Oh well- at least i'd be able to see him coming!

Those bunnies look so cute that they look fake. ::shudder::

Ranter...you just made the ANN boards explode.

Question: I thought they did put the orginal version (of most) shows on the disc. You mean to tell me when I bought Speed Grapher I got a fake version?
I mean it even had the Japanese track and subtitles! Damn Funi for making a fake version.

As for dubs...i do agree. There are a lot of shoty jobs out there. if you're looking at stuff from the early 90s. They gotten so much better over the years. Personally I enjoyed the Pokemon dub until...they changed Ash's voice.
As for yugioh- i enjoyed the Dan Green Yami/Yugi more than the japanese.

There have been shows that imporved in the English Dub. You can't tell me the japanese version of Cowboy beebop had you dancing on the ceiling.

You didn't even mention the horrible One Piece dub. I'm not against dubs but that would have made your arguement so much better. I think your rant on dubs was mostly a dud sorry. You basically said: I like subs i'm biased.
had you said those things back in the early 90s...(heck i'd give you to 97) it'd have been more believable.

I honestly feel you're trying to justify downloading fansubs without buying. I knew these people existed but I didn't know thy went to such lengths and ignored rational thought. :pokes ranter: Want a cookie? It's free and real.

In short: Compaines aren't perfect...but they've imporved so much .

Edit: i wish i'd known that it was a troll before I wrote that. darn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
8daze

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quote
See, Zac? That flake managed to turn into Naruto even without your help! So there. Razz
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:43 am Reply with quote
The ranter tried hard to be open minded arguing an elitist point, but unfortunately her mind is stuck in 1996 or whenever it was when dubs sucked and she actually would've had a legitimate point. Unfortunately with more and more quality dubs being churned out year by year...well, "OMG japan is supereor lol" doesn't really work anymore.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
Wow, he actually wrote you back Laughing How many times have you published a Flake of the Week from the same person for consecutives weeks?
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
Ah, the Comics vs. Manga issue again.

While I mainly only read manga, I certainly don't mind reading american comics. While I might not be reading many superhero comics, I love my Garfield & Charlie Brown comics, and I even read the occasional Archie comic off of my cousin, who has a few random volumes of Archie lying around his house. While I generally enjoy manga more for its story, I like how superhero comies are usually in full-colour. Like britannicamoore, I also think that they're both great, depending on what you like and such.

& about the flake, wow, just wow. I can't believe that he wrote back. Confused
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
Hmm, the "Hey, Answerman!" banner isn't loading for me. Anyone else having this problem?
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quote
the ransegan...? Please, that's old knews; I learned that weeks ago right after I learned teh Chiidori. I learned how to infuse Sand with my Chi a couple of weeks ago...the sand is currently laying around somewhere collecting dust while I spend my time learning to summon frogs. Laughing

Yet Naruto, Kakashi, and Gaara's attacks...ah, they aren't my favorite; I still prefer to transform into Sailor Neko: the soldier devoted to fight for the love of all the cats of the world. Laughing

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Oh~! And how could I forget that learned Lina Inverse's Dragu Slave several years ago~ That's MUCH better than the Ransegan anyday.

Last edited by Lady Multi on Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
icepick314

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:05 am Reply with quote
oh god i never laughed so hard on that Naruto Ninja's Flake...

co-workers were looking at me strange at first but when they read it, they also laughed....

and about the audio in Japanese and English....

even in Japanese the audio doesn't follow lip flap exactly....since the dialogue is done after it's animated....the actors try to follow the action on the screen but can't match exactly to the animation....

personally, i think the dubbing follows lip flap much more closely since the voices are done one person at a time instead of group sessions like in Japan...and better attention to animation can be followed by that one person instead of a group of actors...

also many of the series in English matches to characters far better than Japanese...i have yet to watch entire Evangelion in Japanese...Pani Poni Dash has also great dubbing...i also think Basilisk characters and voices match perfectly in English...i have yet to check on Japanese...Full Metal Alchemist has also great cast for both Japanese and English audio...

English actors do care greatly for their work and the characters they play....dubbing is very important since anime is still niche entertainment and need to sell to everyday people...not just otaku....

that's just me....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
NGE1113

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quote
The rant:
Please get with the times; the mid-to-late '90s have long since passed on. I've listened to my share of dubs with questionably quality, and most of them came from that period. Since around 2001 or so, dubs have been getting progressively better as the years have gone by. There are still Fantastic Children-type dubs being released, but these are now the exception, rather than the rule. The whole thing just felt like another attempt at villifying the R1 companies.

The flake:
First impression:

Second impression: After the humor wore off, I believed it was time for the flake to move on, and find something productive to do with his time.

icepick314 wrote:
personally, i think the dubbing follows lip flap much more closely since the voices are done one person at a time instead of group sessions like in Japan...and better attention to animation can be followed by that one person instead of a group of actors...

There might be the chance for better lip synch by dubbing it one person at a time, but it's only a minor benefit at best. I would actually prefer that English dubs start using group sessions. There's the potential for better read throughs, since the VA's can play off one another in real time rather than listening to pre-recorded dialogue.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:23 am Reply with quote
I was wondering how long it'd be before there would be a Hellsing banner, considering it's one of Zac's favorites. That's a REALLY awesome one, though.

Re: American Comics vs Manga:I totally agree with the American comics/Japanese manga answer. There's definantely a lot of bad manga, but there's a lot of bad american comics. And I dare anyone that thinks manga has bad art to read something like Death Note.
That being said, I don't know a lot about GOOD american comics. I know they exist, but I'm not a huge fan of the 'superhero' formula (well, I like comic book movies and cartoons decently)...I know there's other stuff out there in america, it just feels like that dominates the American comic scene so much.

Re: "~desu": I feel like it's my duty to note that 'desu' is actually pronouced "des"--the 'u' is silent. So, really, it doesn't sound that much cooler than "yes" in my opinion. I don't think there's any reason to keep it in the English dub, although subtitles would be fine.

Anime comedies: There's plenty of good comedies in Anime if you know here to look, they're just generally not as popular as the shounen stuff. Some titles I would recommend are Pani Poni Dash, Azumanga Daioh (of course!), and Cromartie High School. All three are wacky comedies that are set in a high school (I guess I like that sort of show), but the type of comedy in each one is different enough that they stand on their own as unique shows. Azumanga is more character-driven comedy that depends on the wacky personalities the characters have; Pani Poni Dash! pokes fun at typical clichés that you see in high school dramas and shoujo, as well as some random pop culture references; and Cromartie skewers "tough guy" sterotypes. Pick your poison.

Re: Flake: There's a few options for what I could think about this guy...
1) This is the prank of the century (since he bothered to make a MySpace and LJ with this as well)
2) He's likes Naruto WAAAAAAY too much (Somehow the "kids will start practicing black magic after reading Harry Potter!" arguement makes more sense now)
3) He's just insane, or caught up in a wishful fantasy (And needs to get a new girlfriend who wouldn't encourage his insanity any further)
or
4) He's posessed by a demon and seriously needs some form of clergy to help him. (I'm only half-joking with this one.)

I also find it pretty humorous that the flake suggests Zac is "too dense" to understand what he's saying, dispite the fact that he himself is too dense to grasp the concept of proper grammar or spellcheck.

Re: Rant: While I appreciate that the ranter is TRYING to be objective...she kinda fails at it. Except for the very few edited anime dvds still out there, the original version IS on the discs, so she STILL doesn't have an excuse to download anime illegaly. Also, I really don't see how Naruto is that bad of a dub--sure, there's definantely some better dubs out there (On my list of "great dubs" are Princess Tutu, Spirited Away (as the ranter noted), and of course, Cowboy Bebop (the One Dub to Rule Them All), among others), but Naruto still has some fairly solid acting in the show and (as far as I know--I haven't seen the original Japanese) really doesn't deviate too much from the Japanese version, even the edited-for-TV one. Now, I don't think the dub is good enough that, for example, the voice for Sasuke should be among the finalists for "best actor" in the American Anime Awards (okay, admittedly, I'm still a bit sore about Chris Patton not making the cut), but it's by no means a bad dub. Unless there's a good reason the ranter has for objecting to the Naruto dub. She, however, gives none, so I wouldn't know.

This is really making me tempted to write a rant about GOOD dubs, but that's so...generic.

EDIT;
NGE1113 wrote:

There might be the chance for better lip synch by dubbing it one person at a time, but it's only a minor benefit at best. I would actually prefer that English dubs start using group sessions. There's the potential for better read throughs, since the VA's can play off one another in real time rather than listening to pre-recorded dialogue.

I agree--ideally, I think it would be GREAT if the american actors were able to record together--it'd definantely help them bounce off each other more. There's a problem though: in america, voice acting (to my knowledge, I don't see actual figures much) generally doesn't pay too well, with anime dubbing paying even less (considering the amount of non-union work done in anime, particularly). That's why you hear about voice actors that are doing a lot of different parts all at once--they HAVE to to make any sort of decent living off of it. If the actors recorded as a group, it'd probably lessen their availability because their schedules would all have to work out together, plus it would probably slow down the process in general considerably. Less time available to record = less work = less money, which really probably work out well for the majority of voice actors. If the industry ever grew enough that it could afford to pay voice actors enough to make it worth it for them, it'd be a great option, but right now I think it's probably not possible.

That's a shame, though, because I know that Spongebob records at least some of the dialogue with the voice actors together, and it shows--particularly in the scenes that they adlib, which is often hilarious. I think some actors could really work together well, too--Luci Christian and Chris Patton already work together well, even though they're recording seperately--can you imagine if they were actually recording Kaname and Sousuke together?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11