• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Isao Takahata & Ghibli's Kaguya-hime no Monogatari Cast Announced

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Really excited for this one. Looks to be a different kind of Ghibli film, which is always welcome (I personally loved films such as The Cat Returns and My Neighbors the Yamadas).
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
It's really a shame Takahata isn't more well known, even among anime fans, despite directing two of the absolute best anime films ever (Grave of the Fireflies and Only Yesterday).

The funny thing is that Grave of the Fireflies has a respectable degree of mainstream awareness, yet not enough people use it enough as a selling point for Takahata awareness. I see people going "Whee, another Ghibli film!" and I want to say, "No, it's another TAKAHATA film! Big difference!"

Maybe when Kaguya-hime is released in North America, the advertisements will finally get a chance to say "FROM THE DIRECTOR OF GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES. YOU KNOW. THE FILM THAT MADE YOU BAWL YOUR EYES OUT. YES, THAT FILM. GOT IT? THAT GUY. NOT MIYAZAKI."
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I am very happy with the veteran seiyuu cast, as veteran seiyuu are now forgotten more easily than ever.

bravetailor wrote:
It's really a shame Takahata isn't more well known, even among anime fans, despite directing two of the absolute best anime films ever (Grave of the Fireflies and Only Yesterday).

Before that he had also already directed BIG CLASSICS like Heidi, Akage no Anne and Marco.

He is well Known in Japan for his big classics (anime and movies) but indeed westerners dont know him but at least his tv series are loved in Latin America and Europe were are HUGE classic just like in Japan, specially Heidi.

Probably you are referring mainly to the US fans, remember anime was introduced there super late, they are =sadly= oblivious to basically anything pre-DBZ and Ghibli movies only came to be better known after Chihiro.

Last edited by dan9999 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
I am very happy with the veteran seiyuu cast, as veteran seiyuu are now forgotten more easily than ever.

bravetailor wrote:

Before that he had also already directed BIG CLASSICS like Heidi, Akage no Anne and Marco.

Gauche the Cellist too.

Yup, and Anne in particular featured many of the main players who would shape Ghibli's style--Miyazaki, Takahata, Kondo.

Even Yoshiyuki Tomino worked on it!
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:

Yup, and Anne in particular featured many of the main players who would shape Ghibli's style--Miyazaki, Takahata, Kondo.
!

Definitely.

I consider Akage no Anne to be Takahata´s masterpice, his adaptation was masterfully done, it was basically perfect and with such legends working on it.

Grave of the firefiles is his most well know work for westerners, a masterpice, but definitely Anne is his best work imo followed by Heidi.

We need to be thankful to Nippon Animation and that Miyazaki and Takahata found themselves working in the first (Nippon Animation´s) World Masterpiece Theater series, this gave birth to beloved studio Ghibli.
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm so excited to finally see what Takahata's been quietly laboring away on for all this time! He's always full of surprises, I just love his stuff!

I also just noticed that this is coming out only a few days before Disney's Frozen. Princess overload!!! It'll be interesting to see Ghibli and Disney go head-to-head in the box office!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I cannot wait to see this film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1