• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Committee to Protect Manga Scripts formed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:52 pm Reply with quote
uh oh, this could ugly what with all the scripts on the web, like Inuyasha for example.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:13 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
uh oh, this could ugly what with all the scripts on the web, like Inuyasha for example.

Translations are owned by the translator... although the right of translation is retained by the original creator.

So, the English fan IY translations (which we allow linking to, because they only post the scripts...) are "legal" in that they are owned by the person who made them, not by any company in Japan.. and because the person who made them has put them on the internet, they aren't in violation of their own copyright on the translation.

HOWEVER, they never had the right to translate it in the first place, so I'm not 100% sure what the courts would do if such a case ever came before them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
Translations are owned by the translator... although the right of translation is retained by the original creator.

HOWEVER, they never had the right to translate it in the first place, so I'm not 100% sure what the courts would do if such a case ever came before them.

Actually, my undestanding of copyright law gives a different understanding / opinion.

This is very closely linked to fansubs. The translator has the right to translate the work, but only for personal use. It doesn't matter whether it's a show (and therefore still contains elements of the original) or a novel (and therefore only the translation is posted), making the translation available to the public (by posting it on the internet) is a clear violation of copyright.

So even those scripts posted on the internet are actually illegal.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Uh, I'm confused, did they recover manga strips or manga scripts? In the title it says "Committee to Protect Manga Strips Recovers Strips", but in the article it says "The Committee to Protect Manga Strips reported this week that they have recovered over 21 000 pages of manga scripts"

For comics a strip is the comic itself and a script is the story, for manga are they one and the same? Am I just reading this wrong or what?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I suppose the scripts help to protect the knowledge that the story existed. Especailly obscure titles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1