• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Negima! DVD 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
Minor point, but 65 years isn't more accurate. Sayo died in 1943. The story is set in the year Ken Akamatsu started writing it, 2003. 2003-1943=60.

Anyway, episode 19 is far and away the best episode of the series.
Meanwhile, I'm horribly dissappointed at how ineffective Setsuna is in the anime compared to the manga. Also, the kiss in episode 21 comes nowhere near making up for the lack of KonoSetsu awesomeness that occurred in manga but was cut from the anime.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:33 am Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga yet or seen the whole show (i plan to get disc 6 tuesday) but I felt that for some odd reason the Kyoto Arc was rushed through. it was kinda like:

Hey we're in Kyoto! It's pretty and- ONOZ! evil people attacking! Fight- magic sword DONE lets go home.

But that may have been just me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:52 am Reply with quote
It's not odd at all. They crammed three volumes of material (which, if done properly, should have taken somewhere around 9 episodes maybe more) and shoved it into two episodes. Its little wonder it felt rushed. The pretty much gutted the whole story arc only leaving the bare bones. They removed at least one major character, along with some major events like spoiler[Nadoka confessing to Negi and even making a Pactio with him]. As I understand, the Pillow Fight episode happens at some point, minus the elements that made it signficant (beyond just being fun to read).
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:15 am Reply with quote
Glad to see some scores go up for this installment...
britannicamoore wrote:
I haven't read the manga yet or seen the whole show (i plan to get disc 6 tuesday) but I felt that for some odd reason the Kyoto Arc was rushed through. it was kinda like:

Hey we're in Kyoto! It's pretty and- ONOZ! evil people attacking! Fight- magic sword DONE lets go home.

But that may have been just me.
I can't remember if the Kyoto arc felt rushed to me when I first saw it 1.5 years ago, but after reading the manga and re-watching the episodes on DVD, it definitely felt condensed in the way that Love Hina Again (to use another Akamatsu series) felt condensed. And indeed, the Kyoto arc does take up 3 volumes of manga, with more of everything. Still, the anime episodes have merit for getting back to the magical action that Key had seen lacking in previous volumes. But enough about the manga...while I started reading it this past summer and like it a lot, I tire of hearing "the manga was way better" comparisons every time this anime is brought up.
Quote:
[Episode 19] is, by far, the best and most touching episode of the series to date.
^ Whole-hearted agreement with that one. IIRC, #19 was one of the episodes I hinted at in earlier review threads about "touching episodes later in the series." After all, what would an ANN review thread be without some fansub viewer saying "But it gets better later on!"? Rolling Eyes I'll even go on record as saying that episode 19's version of Sayo's story is far better than the manga equivalent, which involves spoiler[ a bunch of "haunted school" pratfalls while the class is pulling all-nighters to get ready for the Mahora Festival in Volume 9.]

In spite of its flaws, the English dub continues to amuse or at least not annoy me, though I didn't think "Sayo" would've been a hard name to get right. Ah well, it didn't "ruin" anything. One other significant difference I noticed in the English dub is that Sayo explains spoiler[the exact circumstances of her death from being out in the rain and getting sick with pneumonia or whatever,] whereas in Japanese they leave it all up to viewers' interpretation. Maybe it's because of the Japanese melodramatic trope of spoiler[being out in cold & rain = getting sick = risk of dying] that Japanese viewers would've picked up on without additional commentary. And good thing Funi isn't one of those companies *cough*splinter-company Illumitoon*cough* that skimps on text translations, or else we wouldn't have gotten the heartbreaking spoiler[I pray that Mother (& my sister) will come back"] signs.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the final volume review, especially because those episodes are the subject of controversy among manga fans.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Minor point, but 65 years isn't more accurate. Sayo died in 1943. The story is set in the year Ken Akamatsu started writing it, 2003. 2003-1943=60.

*goes back and checks episode 19*

Then that's a discrepancy between the anime and the manga. The subtitles say she enrolled at Mahora in 1939 and died in 1940, while the dub says she enrolled in 1940 and died in 1941. (The latter seems more accurate, given a picture in one scene of the anime which shows a "1940-" under her name.) Even relevant to when the anime was made (in 2005), that makes 65 years more accurate for the anime.

That the Kyoto Arc was massively condensed is something that only a reader of the manga would probably pick up on, as I (who have not read the manga) didn't find it to have a particularly rushed feel. From what's been said here about it, it looks to me like spoiler[Nodoka's confession of love] just got bumped into an earlier episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
Basically agree with what Theron wrote about Vol. #5, and I'm another one that thinks that the Sayo episode was well-done. I actually prefer the anime version of Sayo's story over the manga version. Sayo's story and Episode 17 spoiler[(where Nodoka finally confessed her love to Negi)] are my favorite episodes in an otherwise average anime series.

As far as the English dub, it's mostly hit-or-miss with me. There are some performances that I love (such as Kate Bristol's Sayo, Laura Bailey's Evangeline, Brina Palencia's Yue, and Leah Clark's Nodoka, definitely the best English performances in my view), some the are horrendous (such as the voices for Kaede and the twins), and some that I'm still undecided as to whether I like them or not (such as Greg Ayers' Negi).
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

That the Kyoto Arc was massively condensed is something that only a reader of the manga would probably pick up on, as I (who have not read the manga) didn't find it to have a particularly rushed feel. From what's been said here about it, it looks to me like spoiler[Nodoka's confession of love] just got bumped into an earlier episode.

Apparently not as britannicamoore hasn't read the manga yet. But I'm sure she's in the minority in this regard. Does Nadoka spoiler[make a pactio with Negi in the Kyoto arc in the anime]? I'm under the impression she doesn't, and that's kind of a big deal. Do Mana and Ku Fei play any role whatsoever in the Kyoto arc? I'm sure the anime version is at least decent to anyone who hasn't read the manga, but I simply can't imagine it condensed into only two episodes when a faithful adaptation would have required at least 5-6 episodes, probably more like 10 to include everything and be paced well..

I intend to watch this anime someday if only for episode 19 (which appears to be pretty good) and to see how it differs from the manga, but I'll be waiting for a box set and a FUNI sale to do so.
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:57 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Does Nodoka spoiler[make a pactio with Negi in the Kyoto arc in the anime]? I'm under the impression she doesn't, and that's kind of a big deal.

spoiler[No, but she does in the manga. It happened in Vol. #5 of the Negima manga during Chapter 37, which was the final part of the "Operation:Kiss Negi-kun Passionately on the School Field-Trip game" story of the Kyoto arc. The game was conducted at the hotel that Negi and his students were staying during the trip, and it occured after the events in the forth volume of the manga when Nodoka confessed her love to Negi, which put Negi in a state of shock. During the closing moments of the game, Negi met up with Yue and Nodoka in the hotel lobby. Negi wanted to talk with Nodoka about what happened that afternoon. He told Honya-chan that while he was flattered, he doesn't know if he can love anyone yet and just wanted to stay friends with her. Nodoka accepted. Just as they were going back to their hotel rooms, Yue nonchalantly "trips" Nodoka, and she ends up "accidentally" kissing Negi on the lips. Considering that the Kiss Negi game was still in effect, and Nodoka's kiss was in fact valid. the result was that an official Pactio contract card was created for Nodoka - the Diarium Ejus, which when activated takes the form of a huge diary. Upon activation of the card, Nodoka gains the ability to read a person's outward feelings. She first fully used the book's power during Negi's fight against a wolf demon names Kotaru Inugami, which occured in the latter portion of Vol. #5 (Chapters 39-43). Kotaru later will beome Negi's ally during the storyarch involving Negi's battle against a figure from his past named Graf Wilhelm Josef von Herrmann (Chapters 68-71 in Vol. #8 of the manga).]

Here's an image of spoiler[Nodoka's Pactio card].

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Do Mana and Ku Fei play any role whatsoever in the Kyoto arc?

spoiler[The only real role Mana and Ku Fei play in the Kyoto storyarch is that they fought the henchmen of the group that kidnapped Konoka, buying time for Negi to rescue Konoka, who was being used for a ritual summoning. It was at this point in the Kyoto storyline that they found out that Negi's a wizard. This part of the story can be found in Vol. #6 of the Negima manga (Chapters 48-49).]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:42 am Reply with quote
I'm well aware of how the manga played out (I'm eagerly awaiting volume 13 next week), I was just curious if it was included in the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1