• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-02-16]

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Naruto starts off sorta slow for the first 10-15 episodes (there are a few good fights actually but the characters are kinda annoying until they get a chance to develop) and ramps up well from there. Just stop soon after 135 because it kinda goes to hell about 5 episodes after (and it's not hard to notice the drop in quality). Fortunately for you, by the time you could watch those 135 episodes there would likely be a decent bit of Naruto Shippuuden out already. Provided you watch from fansubs.
vega427

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
"Some kid can be "practicing" his fake "martial arts" outside after watching too much Naruto, pretend that he surprised himself by doing something "magical" like shooting ninja lightning out of his ass or something ."
So...Is that all it really takes to shoot ninja lightning out my ass, is watching too much Naruto? That should be easy enough. I should have this trick covered in four episodes.
zcat68

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Paranoia Agent seems kind of like a bad anime to use in defense of Otakukin. Satoshi Kon seems to actually be going against Otakukin-like beliefs and lifestyles with the anime. (.spoiler[The boy that believes he's in a video game is killed, Maniwa later believes he's a great hero and is institutionalized, Tsukiko runs away from the concequences of her actions and her mundane life and escapes into a fantasy world and ends up nearly destroying Tokyo, etc etc)]

It wasn't so much that I was going for the apples to apple comparison, it just seemed like it would be that first sense of "This is so surreal, how come someone feel like that?" that was the impression I was getting.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:37 am Reply with quote
Eh, I don't want to read through the next 20-some pages to see if someone else cleared this up already, so I'll just go ahead...[and watch my post get edited away because of the rule defined in this sticky. ~Zalis *casts Magic Missile at teh darkness*]
10円

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:29 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
People don't have to believe in any religions, or can choose whichever they want, but most religions have been around for thousands of years.

spoiler[Religions are generally based around concepts and theories that cannot be easily disproved and seek to use this simple conundrum as some sort of evidence that they are followers of the truth. Psychotic people often operate with very similar delusions, but we ignore their claims even though they are based on similar concepts simply because they haven't managed to get thousands of people to follow them for thousands of years. If you look at what people thought back in the days of the Bible you realize that most of it was simply incorrect.

Why then should we take the stories related through the Bible any more seriously than the concept that the world is flat? Why should our lives be impacted by beings we can never verify ever existed and events we will never have any way of knowing ever took place? Do we still require fairy tales to guide us even after we achieve adulthood? Must we remain beholden to the mere assumptions of the past forever?]

tempest wrote:
That "proof" is really stretching it. As has been pointed out in this thread already, parts of the history are accurate. We know that Jesus lived and was crucified, we know that Mohammed lived, we know that the Jews were in Egypt, we know that SIddartha Buddha lived, etc...

spoiler[The original 'Bible' was passed around by word of mouth for generations. Whatever constituted the original stories has been modified from person to person, generation to generation, language to language and dialect to dialect. As anyone who has ever played the 'word-of-mouth game' in grade school or who ever bothered to get to the bottom of the latest office rumor can attest, when verbal communication is involved the end result rarely has anything to do with the original story. Anyone who has ever picked up a book, newspaper or magazine on a subject with which they are intimately familiar can understand that even when stories are written into official texts they don't suddenly become "proof". It is this continued double-standard between cults and religions in the age of the scientific method that I cannot condone; if either is obviously folly then it stands to reason that they are both folly.]
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:02 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
bayoab wrote:
SalarymanJoe wrote:

RE: Naruto Fillers
Where VIz's license may experience some trouble is with Shippuden itself. I don't know what Viz's licensing contracts look like (and not being an employee, I've no right) so I can only speculate, but there is a chance they may not have a direct roll-over into Shippuden. There's a chance they do. Only a Press Release will tell.
Considering Viz's Japanese parent companies own Naruto in Japan, I'd say there is little to no issue of the license "rolling over" (if it wasn't prelicensed) as long as it continues to be profitable. Beside, when Viz says "acquired", they mean "actively working on". They don't mean "have the rights to these episodes".

When ShoPro Entertainment originally announced the license to Naruto, they were awarded 'Master Licensor' status, meaning they already have the US/Canada license for ANYTHING Naruto that is owned by Shueisha in japan. [SNIP] So, yes, Viz owns the license for Shippuuden, pre-animated, even.
That isn't the issue. The issue is how it is classified in Japan and how the contract is worded. If it is considered the same series, they automatically have the license (I'm assuming their contract says something). If it not considered the same series, then things get interesting. It is entirely possible, but extremely unlikely, that another company could end up with the Shippuden license. However, most evidence is pointing to it being a rebrand and therefore, it is the same series and covered under the same license.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
That isn't the issue. The issue is how it is classified in Japan and how the contract is worded. If it is considered the same series, they automatically have the license (I'm assuming their contract says something). If it not considered the same series, then things get interesting. It is entirely possible, but extremely unlikely, that another company could end up with the Shippuden license. However, most evidence is pointing to it being a rebrand and therefore, it is the same series and covered under the same license.

Hmmm... that is true... though I guess I'll throw in my personal opinion then... as far as I can tell, Naruto Shippuuden is 'technically' a new series, but being as it's stilled derived from the original work by Kishimoto, I think it would still fall under the license. As you pointed out, it obviously depends on the wording of the license, but I don't really have much doubt that they do have the rights to it.... I think the big issue, as some people have started to bring up, is will Viz air the fillers? I don't care personally, cause I don't watch the dub... it IS getting better than when the show started, but it's still not as good as the japanese track...
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I honestly didn't know about the whole "otakukin" thing until I read the article. Pretty shocking stuff. Confused

Zac wrote:
Some kid can be "practicing" his fake "martial arts" outside after watching too much Naruto, pretend that he surprised himself by doing something "magical" like shooting ninja lightning out of his ass or something, and then....

That had me laughing for about five minutes straight. Anime exclamation
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:42 am Reply with quote
vega427 wrote:

So...Is that all it really takes to shoot ninja lightning out my ass, is watching too much Naruto? That should be easy enough. I should have this trick covered in four episodes.
It didn't work for me. I had to go back to prunes with me All Bran.
Joichi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

The basic concept is this: someone goes on to the Otakukin message board - wherever it may exist, there are a few of 'em out there - and claims that they think they may have been Kagome or Goku or Duo Maxwell in a past life.

That is really REALLY creepy... I for one, thought too that the kid must have been playing some kind of ridiculous prank, i thought people putting in original characters paired with anime characters in fanfics were childish enough BUT an actual community dedicated to these delusional people EXISTS?! I'm laughing so hard, i can't breath xD

Good grief! I'm weeping for the poor manga artists themselves... or just laughing with them. Alright, so this means if you were going to start your path as a manga artist you -tap into inner universe- and if your characters are famous enough, obsessive fans start ranting how they just so happen to have similar experiences...only after the book/series is out?? -shakes head-
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 29 of 29