• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hideaki Anno Releases Statement About New Evangelion Movies

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:22 am Reply with quote
Hideaki Anno wrote:
However, over the past 12 years, there has been no anime "newer" than Eva.

For as much as I love this show, I'll be the first to admit that this sounds like someone whose head is just a tad swelled up (or perhaps a blatant attempt to reestablish Eva as the hip title in the casual anime viewer's mind, I don't know). Yes, it made its cutting-edge mark on the anime landscape twelve years ago, but the past cannot be dwelled upon forever.

Hideaki Anno wrote:
We realize that we are creating something that will be better than the last series.

Trying to put it on a pedestal already? I feel it's a bit early to be declaring victory when nobody's even seen the thing, yet.

Last edited by NGE1113 on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:35 am; edited 3 times in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The desire to portray my sincere feelings on film.
The desire to share, with an audience, the embodiment of image, the diversity of expressions, and the detailed portrayal of emotions that animation offers.

Anno the emo?

Quote:
The desire to fight the continuing trend of stagnation in anime.

Except for making unnecessary sequels to Gunbuster or Gainax funding harem shows like Mahoromatic. It's "innovative" when we milk a franchise. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
To support the fans that support animation, we felt that a work that would appeal to middle and high school-aged men, who quickly grow away from Anime, was necessary.

That's right. Due to fan request, Eva 2 will have even more misogyny than the last film.

Quote:
We realize that we are creating something that will be better than the last series.

That's what Lucas said about the Star Wars prequels.

Quote:
It is a story where the main character witnesses many horrors with his own eyes, but still tries to stand up again.

Since when?

Quote:
It is a story of will; a story of moving forward, if only just a little.

See above.

Quote:
It is a story of fear, where someone who must face indefinite solitude fears reaching out to others, but still wants to try.

Oh, I see. So Shinji actually has a spine in the remake.

Quote:
one that people who have never seen Evangelion can easily adjust to,

You mean one with a plot this time?
Maximum_Anderring

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
Oh boy, guys! Going with the jaded, cynical response? You're so world weary - you don't even need to see this because you've got everything figured out. That's exactly what everyone thinks when they make their one piece of art, nothing else to it.

But hey, an idea: how about getting off your high horse, come to something with a fresh set of eyes for the first time in a long time and dispense with maybe a little hopeful optimism? How about the preponderance of questioning reason in another direction then to a show you are not forced to see and with a press release that's just so easy for you two to rip apart. Aren't things easy on the offensive? Man, you don't even need to try! Good luck on the similarly noble endeavors of your sure to be bright future in the world of velvet armchair, pipe in mouth pretentious look at FILM AND TELEVISION. Entertainment? The experience of watching a story unfold without words on a page? Psh, only dumb 3 year-olds could be watching things like that. We're great thinkers after all.

Last edited by Maximum_Anderring on Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roguespider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The desire to connect today's exhausted Japanese animation [industry] to the future.

I can tell you I'm honestly exhausted over how much you've milked Eva for the past 12 years. New statues every 6 months? I wonder why people are getting tired of anime and its mechandise

Quote:

So there's been absolutely no new anime since Eva? Where have you been living? Have you seen FMA, Code Geass, Haruhi Suzumiya, etc?

Quote:
We hope that you look forward to the 4 new retellings of this story.

What happen to this being a prequel and sequel? Now its retellings! Yay, instead of getting each child's viewpoint in one movie(Death), each will get their own movie. Its Eva: Death x4.

Everything aside, Hideaki Anno your a great director and creator of anime but do us all a favor and pull you head out of your ass long enough to see that there is more people than just you in the anime industry.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quote
Anno goes on with his inflated ego again? Personally, I wish Eva to take a rest, permanently if possible. I didn't like the series back then, due to the screenplayersand director inability to conclude the story decently (past episode 20, re-animated episodes or not, everything goes downhill). Last I want is another Eva movie (and to think there are going to be four of them....).
I think I am one of the few people that say that Anno wasn't a great director to begin with, and his most recent works show that, IMO.
Jetto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quote
And this, boys and girls, is why you don't let directors write PR releases.

Hype aside, I very excited for this, as I'm going to be in japan visiting a friend when it come to theatres.

Be honest guys, did you think he would say it's going to suck? Rolling Eyes
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote
No, but I would have hoped for a more humble approach. Feels like reading the famous article published after the debate on Eva's ending.

EDIT: to clarify, I'm referring to an interview with Anno.

Last edited by ximpalullaorg on Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:53 am Reply with quote
Maximum_Anderring wrote:
Oh boy, guys? Going with the jaded, cynical response? You're so world weary - you don't even need to see this because you've got everything figured out. That's exactly what everyone thinks when they make their won piece of art, nothing else to it.

But hey, an idea: how about getting off your high horse, come to something with a fresh set of eyes for the first time in a long time and dispense with maybe a little hopeful optimism? How about the preponderance of questioning reason in another direction then to a show you are not forced to see and with a press release that's just so easy for you two to rip apart. Aren't things easy on the offensive? Man, you don't even need to try! Good luck on the similarly noble endeavors of your sure to be bright future in the world of velvet armchair, pipe in mouth pretentious look at FILM AND TELEVISION. Entertainment? The experience of watching a story unfold without words on a page? Psh, only dumb 3 year-olds could be watching things like that. We're great thinkers after all.

"I've got the answers to all of your questions if you've got the money to pay me in gold.
I will be living in old Monte Carlo & you will be reading these secrets I've sold."

1971? 1972? Alice Cooper. DECADES before Anno, he had all the answers.

I watched the movie Death & Rebirth & found it bloated. When I commented it was a load of pretentious fluff, I was informed I was too stupid to understand it. I've avoided Eva like the plague & statements like this from Anno do not make me any more generous toward the man or his worshippers.

On the other hand, I have 1800 anime dvds in my collection that say he's wrong about the anime industry because most (a few are pure drivel) accomplish whatever goal they set out to make whether it's to entertain by making one laugh, cry, or drool. Some are innovative. The biggest light entertainment out there can have a line in it that speaks to one-changes one's life. Some of my favorite movie lines are in comedy or action flicks because they aren't looking to change the world. You could be a huge drug user & see a film or a book that makes you realize this isn't where you want to be-epiphany.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:55 am Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
Anno goes on with his inflated ego again?

I think it's better to have the inflated ego version of Anno then having I am really depressed Anno, we all saw what happened last time when he did that. I can't believe that their making four new movies! I mean do we really need that many to retell parts of NGE, but I guess Anno will prove us wrong with this new version.....the where shinji has a spine to quote Gatsu.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:55 am Reply with quote
Maximum_Anderring wrote:
Oh boy, guys? Going with the jaded, cynical response? You're so world weary - you don't even need to see this because you've got everything figured out . . .

But hey, an idea: how about getting off your high horse, come to something with a fresh set of eyes for the first time in a long time and dispense with maybe a little hopeful optimism?

Did I say I wanted the venture of Anno's to fail, or that it was doomed to do so? I don't think so. I wish him success in this project, and honestly hope for a good, final product. For me, the crux of this is simply the fact that Anno is crowing about a landmark achievement long before a pair of eyes (be it a fan or a critic) has had a chance to see it. As they say: "Pride goes before a fall."
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:

I think it's better to have the inflated ego version of Anno then having I am really depressed Anno, we all saw what happened last time when he did that.

Sorry if I'm too straight to the point, but for me is better no Anno at all. I didn't like him ever since he started working with GAINAX. Eva showed best he wasn't very good at directing IMO, and the horrendous Cutey Honey live action cemented that feeling. I didn't like his contribution to KareKano as well.

Last edited by ximpalullaorg on Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:
Hideaki Anno wrote:

For as much as I love this show, I'll be the first to admit that this sounds like someone whose head is just a tad swelled up (or perhaps a blatant attempt to reestablish Eva as the hip title in the casual anime viewer's mind, I don't know). Yes, it made its cutting-edge mark on the anime landscape twelve years ago, but the past cannot be dwelled upon forever.

can you honestly say this isn't true? sure there's been a lot of cheap imitations, but no one's even come close to Eva yet.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:14 pm Reply with quote
::rubs hands together eagrly::

Oh I can not wait for this. And he does sound like he has an ego. But he did direct one of the most famous animes of all time. So I can't get too upset with him.

Last edited by britannicamoore on Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
superdeformed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Seems like he's tring to be the next Leiji Matsumoto with this retelling thing. But of course Shinji is no Captain Harlock.

The original Gunbuster is a work of art and the greatest homage to a shojo or tennis Anime ever. haha.

Maybe the live-action movie will be one of the 4 and we can all be as depressed as Shinji.. *cough*Anno*cough*.

I enjoyed the original (and the TV series ending) and 4 new movies won't cancel that out. I mean, it's not like it can be worse than the Transformers movies coming this summer.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:21 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
And he does sound like he has an ego. But he did direct one of the most famous animes of all time. So I can't get too upset with him.

I can agree that Eva is famous now. But for me is one of the worst pieces of animation of all times 8P
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9