• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
manga or anime first

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JOINERIC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Did you start reading manga or watching anime first and which do you like better.

I started reading manga because I ran out of anime I wanted to see so I looked into some popular manga and got completely addicted. So I was anime first but I would have to say that I like Manga better.
kyonichi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty much the same, started reading manga because I was already into anime... I probably read more manga than I watch anime, but it's a lot of convenience factor. I would have to rate my interest about equal. A good story is a good story whether it's animated or still pictures.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I started watching anime first and then really got into manga and now prefer it to anime, though I love them both. I enjoy the emphasis on character development and the ability to take more time for things that manga generally has, while anime often has to leave things out or make changes to suit the visual medium, which is all well and good and certainly often understandable (though not always). But yeah, it was a transition from watching anime to discovering manga.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:51 pm Reply with quote
There seems to be an anime theme running here! Wink

I, too, was first sucked in by anime and because I get a little obsessive and want to get EVERYTHING about my current obsession, I bought the manga to my first anime title (Sailor Moon) and my addiction to both spiraled downhill from there.

These days, I don't buy too many manga that have a corresponding anime. Some I do, like Ai Yori Aoshi, because there isn't a satisfactory conclusion to the anime. I prefer to read manga that I haven't seen in anime form, then I won't get angry about unseen plotline or greatly diminished characters (i.e. Shuro of Ceres).
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I started with anime and then moved to manga. I got into manga in 6th grade because my best friend was reading things like Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura and I became really interested too. While I still love and watch anime, I now prefer manga.

marie-antoinette wrote:
I enjoy the emphasis on character development

That's one of the main reasons I like manga. It's not that characters in anime are always undeveloped or lack depth, but with manga, I'm able to find a better connection to them.
bllanosr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
I started out with anime first as well. Ranma 1/2 got me hooked and just kept going on from there.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:24 am Reply with quote
Edit: I didn't look at the question very closely Embarassed

I started off with anime first, that was because at the time I did not have the knowledge of the existence of manga. My first anime was Doraemon, which my mom would rent videos for while we were over there. Even after we went to Japan I was watching anime quite a bit compared to manga, until I found One Piece, then the manga buying went from there.

Last edited by fighterholic on Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Asako

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:56 am Reply with quote
I started reading manga first. There weren't very many titles out that were available at the time. Not even a Ranma VHS. Akira, Fist of the North Star, Ranma, and others started to roll out after that...

Gosh it's been so long ago..

Oh but if you mean watching a particular title first or reading it first then I would say I rather read the manga first Smile But sometimes it's not readily available.

EDIT: Well if others are going to say when they first saw anime but didn't know it, then it would be anime first for me too. But I know I already mentioned this before in a different thread Anime hyper First anime was either Gegege no Kitaro or Dragonball on NGN. Around 20 or such years ago. Also those other various anime turned into "morning shows for kids" during that same time for America.

I don't really consider it as my "first" because it hasn't influenced me into jumping into manga or anime genre. It was just cartoons that made this little kid happy to watch.

Last edited by Asako on Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
_NightShade_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:44 am Reply with quote
I watched anime first without even realising it, it was around 20 years ago (Mazinger Z or something like that) manga was an alien word back then and of course didn't even exist where I lived. So it wasn't after a few years later that I started buying Dragon Ball, and now I usually read the manga first and don't usually bother with the anime, GTO was the only one I remember watching the anime first and then buying the manga.
Torhu_San

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote
I also started watching anime without realizing what it was. I grew up in Gachaman (G Force) and Go Lion (Voltron). It wasn't until I was a lot older though that I got into Sailor Moon. It was on before I had to leave for my community college classes. I started doing some internet research on the show. Mostly to have pictures for Wallpaper on my computer. Then I started collecting the subbed version. About that time, I started dating a guy who was really into anime. I really started watching a lot of it then.

But when I was about 22, I found out that Sailor Moon was based on a comic book, and so I started to get those, and found them to be much better. So I started to check out other mangas when I noticed that there was a section devoted to it a Borders. I started to notice that the manga verisons of most of the anime I had watched was better, I became hooked.

Now I mostly prefer manga. There are a few animes that I will still check out, but that mostly for one of two reasons. One....there isn't a manga counterpart out there, like Petit Princess Yucie. Two....I liked the manga so much, that I just want to see it on the screen. I am finding this urge for Ouran Host Club, Sugar Sugar Rune, and Full Moon wo Sagashite.
smoochy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I started with anime within tape-trading. I don't really think there was a lot of manga available when I was watching anime.
moristin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote
man...seems like the majority started with anime ^^

i myself started with manga.....dragonball was my first...(shame on me ^^)
after i read my "manga-library" of...20 books ^^ i started watching mangas.
a friend of mine gave some to me on dvd and...yeah....addicted Wink
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I started with anime, and then I figured I might as well give manga a try. I'm so glad I did because I love manga almost as much as I do anime. I definitely read more often than I watch, but that's only because it's much easier to find a time and a place to read.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nao-chan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I started out watching anime without even knowing what anime was. My first anime was Pokemon and then I graduated to DBZ when I was about 9. The manga thing happened when my mom brought home a copy of Shonen Jump and Thus dawns the birth of an otaku. Rolling Eyes

I hate having to choose between my two great loves but I would have to say that I'm more of an anime fan mostly because of my horrible attention span. I find myself slowly drifting away while I'm reading some manga but with anime the pretty colors and flashing lights hold my attention. Mmm...pretty colors. Anime dazed
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I started with manga, simply because I don't have cable and I was only 11 or 12 and therefore didn't know about downloading or rental or crap. I quickly went through my library's entire collection, which consisted of 18 assorted volumes of Ranma 1/2, Inuyasha, and Nausicaa. Then I started watching the horribly mangled Shaman King dub, realized it was Japanese, and began to hang around the otaku crowd at school, borrowing DVDs where I could. Since then we've gotten Netflix, so I'm able to rent a lot of anime.

I prefer anime, although manga used to be really convenient for me to buy because there was a shop downtown that sold it. I built up a small collection, and then they closed. Since I can't drive and my parents are too busy to take me shopping, manga is much harder for me to get now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2