• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shakugan no Shana DVD 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bci110

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
"Shana looks better without ponytails?" Did the reviewer really factor that into their grade?

Is that Shana on the cover there? She looks hot as hell with the "ponytails" (Pigtails, whatever). Very Happy

Yup, that's Shana on the right with the pigtails. The girl on the left is Kazumi Yoshida.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote
"Shana looks better without ponytails?" Did the reviewer really factor that into their grade?

Is that Shana on the cover there? She looks hot as hell with the "ponytails" (Pigtails, whatever). Very Happy
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, can't agree with you on that. (Of course, I've never been a fan of pigtails in real life, either.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:06 pm Reply with quote
So you really docked points from the show because of your personal hairstyle preference?

What's next? Downgrading a show because one of the supporting characters has green eyes?

And how did my beginning post get knocked down to the second spot?
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:40 pm Reply with quote
This volume got the same art rating as the previous two (a B+), so there was no "rating down" because of the pigtails. I only brought that up because I was really fishing for negatives in a volume that didn't have glaring weaknesses.

And I don't know why your first post isn't leading the thread, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bci110

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
And how did my beginning post get knocked down to the second spot?

Good question. Must've been a glitch. Confused
sun3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
This volume got the same art rating as the previous two (a B+), so there was no "rating down" because of the pigtails. I only brought that up because I was really fishing for negatives in a volume that didn't have glaring weaknesses.

That's a pretty nice compliment for the show! Funny too!
Extra points awarded because the cashier at Best Buy smiled at me! jk

I'll have to check out the volume.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:46 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

As I stated before a B for Theron is actually an achievement since he rarely gives out As and often give shows that I consider have adequate art and animation Cs, I believe Ergo Proxy is the only series so far this year that got an A (actually an A-) for animation. I just remember it because I was surprised to see something get an A for animation. I personally would reserve Cs for shows like Legend of Himiko, Cybuster or Fighting Spirit. This leaves room for Ds for shows like Violinist of Hamilin and Fist of the North Star. Then again I recall Theron recently mentioning that he doesn't watch too many of these older titles. I personally find the art and animation for Shana quite fantastic for a television series.

I found this volume to be even more intriguing than the previous DVDs since more time was spent with the great character development. I love how Yuji and Shana both think that the other is naive and ignorant. There is a nice symmetry
to this as they have lots to offer each other. I also love how Yuji's mother dotes over Shana and even talks to her "guardian" over the phone. These moments keep me interested and seperates Shana from so many other "supernatural girl moves in with ordinary Japanese boy to fight really powerful enemies" series.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
As I stated before a B for Theron is actually an achievement since he rarely gives out As and often give shows that I consider have adequate art and animation Cs, I believe Ergo Proxy is the only series so far this year that got an A (actually an A-) for animation. I just remember it because I was surprised to see something get an A for animation.

In everything except dub ratings I generally go by the philosophy, "when in doubt, grade conservatively" because I'd rather think that I'm underrating a title then sound like a fawning fanboy by overrating something. (Although even I will occasionally break down and fawn over a title.) That's why I've only used an A+ grade three times in almost 200 reviews, because to me that represents the "best of the best" and/or an incomparable achievement. (Which three times? Gankutsuou vol. 2 for art, Princess Tutu vol. 6 for music, Koi Kaze vol. 2 for writing.) I tend to be suspicious of grades that are straight-As and especially of grades that are primarily A+.

Dub ratings are a different story. I use a baseline of "it's as good as the original" (because I honestly feel most dubs are nowadays) and generally only grade down if I think a sensible dub or fence-sitting fan would note it as being deficient compared to the original.

And a "C" grade is supposed to be "adequate or average," BTW.
Case

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:39 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Irrespective of this issue, kudos to Martin for not making this review all about Sorath and Tiriel.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Thank God my account is working, I've been on a little vacation and everytime I tried to log in from the hotel's computer it kept mentioning "You have been banned, contact the moderator." I was like WTF did I do wrong Crying or Very sad , but I'm glad that everything is working fine once I came back home Very Happy

Quote:
Shana looks better without ponytails.

I quite liked Shana's temporarily new look, damn that Yuji for not appreciating how super cute and refreshing she looked and on the other hand kept his eyes glued on that other girl and her knockers, but *sigh* I think breasts will always win over cuteness in the eyes of men.

I happened to check the dub and I must say that this is the best that I've heard from Ocean -way better than Inuyasha that had a lot of miscasting IMO and bad Japanese names pronounciations, it's Kagome and Kikyou, not Kogome and Keekyo FYI- though who is voicing Shana is a bit too cold, but I agree with Key that she pulls off the "shut up!" line quite well.

This volume quite raised my interest in the series and can't wait for volume 4.
gary leeman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
This volume quite raised my interest in the series and can't wait for volume 4.

Don't need to wait too long; Shana 4 is out next Tuesday!

I do have to agree that Shana looks better without ponytails as well. I think I would have a single tear on my cheek if she kept the p-tails in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1