• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: One Piece (manga)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:14 am Reply with quote
This review was written 1.73 years ago. I bet if someone were to review it today, it would be totally different. I mean the bad point is that "the art style is unique and it takes time in getting used to"? I think that would be a good point by today standards since it makes the manga feel destinctive from the rest of the typical big eye, long or spiky hair character.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:30 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
This review was written 1.73 years ago. I bet if someone were to review it today, it would be totally different. I mean the bad point is that "the art style is unique and it takes time in getting used to"? I think that would be a good point by today standards since it makes the manga feel destinctive from the rest of the typical big eye, long or spiky hair character.

I have to disagree with you on wether if it was reviewed today that it would of gone completely different. Like you said, the unique artstyle can be a good thing, but it could of also been a good thing 1.73 years ago. As always, art that is different from the norm is usually a good thing. However, the One Piece DOES take some getting used to for most. I remember when I first started reading it I couldn't get over how cartoony and ugly the artstyle was, but I did eventually get used to it, and I like to consider myself very open to art styles. The warning about getting used to the artstyle is a warning that still works today.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:41 am Reply with quote
I like One Piece because it looks like it was drawn by somebody who actually likes to draw. A lot of manga look like the artist only likes to draw pretty girls or angry guys and lets a team of assistants draw everything else. One Piece looks like the guy can't wait to draw every little thing, and loves to think up some wierd way to draw a scene.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
I like One Piece because it looks like it was drawn by somebody who actually likes to draw. A lot of manga look like the artist only likes to draw pretty girls or angry guys and lets a team of assistants draw everything else. One Piece looks like the guy can't wait to draw every little thing, and loves to think up some wierd way to draw a scene.

Yea good point.
RezSav

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:11 am Reply with quote
The review is now 3.15 years old but I have to agree with the OP. Time's change, I mean ANN doesn't even review Anime or Manga in bundles anymore, they go by volumes... So maybe this arguement is a little dated.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:53 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
The review is now 3.15 years old... So maybe this arguement is a little dated.

It is.
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Why did this get rated so high? I honestly can't see anything in this series that gives it the right to be more popular than any of the other titles in Shonen Jump. The art style is just plain awful. The ugly and lame character designs compliment the poor art. The story is just generic Shonen Faire. Play shonen madlib and you get One Piece's plot.

A young hero wants to be the best 1. [insert popular character class here] so he sets out on an epic journy to find a legendary 2. [insert item here] that will make him 3. [insert highest rank of character class here].

1. Pirate
2. Treasure
3. King of the Pirates

The same can be said about another anime in the same league as One Piece: Naruto. Although, Naruto remedies some of the genericness of the series with halfway decent art, good character designs, oh and the battles and characters are actually cool in some way. My next point is that One Piece just lacks the cool factor that other Shonen series offer. Luffy is a complete moron who has no common sense and would be killed in an instant without his lame stretching ability. Zorro is the only character that is sort of cool, but still. He is just a carbon copy swordman in every anime. And why does he use a sword in his MOUTH? How would that possibly help him fight? Ussop and Chopper are the worst characters in the series. Ussop himself is just plain annoying and unlikeable. His nose just looks plain ugly. Chopper is probably the lamest "mascot" character I have ever seen in a Shonen series (Kon from Bleach, Devilbat from Eyeshield, Dengakuman from Bobob, etc.). I mean, come on, people. He is a reindeer with a pink hat. That is just plain lame. This series is truely an example that anyone will take any series with a long length and claim it is the greatest thing ever made.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Umm, first of all, where did you get this from and secondly, it was that bad? Do you think 20 million people in Japan care? Because they're the ones that keep it going, not us.
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Just because something is popular doesn't make it good. Taking back sunday is a popular band. That doesn't mean they're good. This is just my rant about why I think One Piece is HARSHLY overrated. Kind of the way Halo is overrated.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Isn't this a review from like 2002 or 2003? A little late to discuss it now, eh?

I do believe you mentioned before that you've only experienced bits and pieces of One Piece and that you've not yet coherently read the story. It's typical shonen, but it blows away other typical shonen series in its execution. But I guess there's nothing can be done about someone's opinion when the biggest gripe on a series is the artwork and basic plot.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
Isn't this a review from like 2002 or 2003? A little late to discuss it now, eh?

I thought something was wrong here.

Ska Master if you want to go on discussing why OP isn't great, I suggest that you take it to the manga forums, because this thread is probably going to be targeted by the mods soon. I will gladly continue this conversation with you if you like.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1