• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kokoro Connect's English Dub Cast Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Hm, I love Greg Ayres. He's one of my favorite voice actors and seeing him in another lead makes me happy. I've never watched Kokoro Connect so I have no idea how their voices compare, but I'll give it a shot since a few of my other favorites are in there also.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Dammit! I already watched this anime.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations to Ms. Christian for getting the best character. Very Happy
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
[Double post]

Last edited by Shay Guy on Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
bs3311

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Im really annoyed by this sudden negativitey torwards greg ayres and litteraly everyone else in the cast list which imo is great. One dissapointment was that Clint Bickham did not voice Taichi, but I'm okay with that since anlysing the dub. The way this show uses voices of the characters switching personality without switching actors of the original personality makes this proccess of dubbing both dub and sub extremly tough to do.

Its Ultimate Quiz Time!!, "which actors are good at doing multiple personalities all at once like a quick demo real while recording for an official dubbed product which sounds natural?" Not alot. But the Cast is shown to do it really really well. And I stand corrected againts my thoughts on certain actors being used instead of the official cast, but thinking on how they would have done the voices (exampe, Chris Patton as Aoki being possesd by Yui or Nagase) made me rethink that it would be a really bad idea.

ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
I haven't heard good things about Clint either.

Where on Gods green earth did you hear stuff about that? In all my experiences hearing his voice in dub works, he is the best and Ef and Dusk Maiden are examples of that IMO.

Quote:
Plus, Sentai's doing it. Even the best voice actors can turn in lousy performances when it's a Sentai dub.

Or they can be good or astounding!

invalidname wrote:

I think I've come to accept Sentai dubs by thinking of them more or less as the anime equivalent of summer stock theatre: the same 10-or-so actors being slotted into the needed parts as best they can fit.

Does'nt that sound like every anime dubbing company? Plus you forget that they have been bringing new blood in. Magaret Mcdonald, Adam Gibbs, Genieve/Juliet Simmons, Molly Searcy, Patrick Poole, Caitlynn French, Mike Yeager, etc.

Quote:
And that's fine for the casual viewer who's only going to see one or two Sentai shows, but a season ticket patron to the Sentai Summer Stock Theatre will start to recognize distinct actors after a few shows, and then it can be a distraction

Casual Fan or Not People have different views. And I say if people are praising Viz or Funimations repeateable VA pool while bringing new talent reeeaaallllly slowly then they boo Sentai when they do that and bring new blood in then sooner or later getting main roles which in result the famous actors getting side roles? Then I'll be questioning and laughing at there way of thinking Laughing

Though, If your saying that for ex: Tom Kenny voicing a character in almost every episode in Adventure Time. Then yes I can agree.

Overall. After Reading everyon elses opinion. I decided to type my own. Cheers! Very Happy
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Where on Gods green earth did you hear stuff about that? In all my experiences hearing his voice in dub works, he is the best and Ef and Dusk Maiden are examples of that IMO.

I didn't watch Ef, but I did watch Dusk Maiden, and he was absolutely DREADFUL in that show.

How could you possibly think such an emotionless performance that has serious enunciation issues is any good?
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I take it they have already dubbed the series, unless this is going to be a quick turnaround?

Ether way I'm looking forward to the release, its been on my Crunchyroll watch list since it started showing but never got around to watching... Oops. So decided to wait for its release Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bs3311

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but I did watch Dusk Maiden, and he was absolutely DREADFUL in that show.

How could you possibly think such an emotionless performance that has serious enunciation issues is any good?

What are you talking about? His performance was the same in the Japanese Dub, which is Great. He was sort of quiet and smart but sometimes get serious in certain Dilema's. Episode 2 was example of that even though
spoiler[Teichi was trying to help a girl with her supersticous mind believing she was haunted by a eerie ghost. So He and Yuko thought playing out a story that Teichi Exorcised the ghost.]. If Clint was emotionless, he would be would basically sound like he is reading his lines without acting them. Which the only possiblity that would happen is when he narrarates in the show, which is accurate both Dub and Sub.

Enunciation issues? That was Emily Neves problem.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
What are you talking about? His performance was the same in the Japanese Dub, which is Great.

Didn't care enough for the show to sample the original performances. But regardless of the original guy's performance, Clint's was a seriously poor job.

Quote:
He was sort of quiet and smart but sometimes get serious in certain Dilema's.

His delivery of that was exceptionally poor. He's giving the bare minimum of what they can put in their rushed, low budget dubs that ignorant folks will think is good acting.

Quote:
Enunciation issues? That was Emily Neves problem.

... You may want to clean your ears, as Emily Neves NEVER has any enunciation issues whatsoever. She is very clear, always, and it's a joy to listen to.

Clint consistently slurs his words a little and generally does not project in a clear manner.

I really don't understand what's going on in your mind that you'd praise Clint but be quick to accuse Emily of something she is the exact opposite of.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
I take it they have already dubbed the series, unless this is going to be a quick turnaround?

It's actually all up on The Anime Network already, except for the last three episodes that will be released separately.
bs3311

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:

Didn't care enough for the show to sample the original performances. But regardless of the original guy's performance, Clint's was a seriously poor job.

Yet your bashing him on an individual performance without even watching subbed? Then this is where were going to split deeply because that is how I watch dubs. Sometimes I can watch a dub without watching sub, and Ef was one of them. Then later on I went back to watch subbed and loved that too. But I loved the dub even more because both sub and dub are basically holding hands for a wonderful performance on both sides. And if you dislike Clint from even watching Ef, then I cant save you for your head is basically stuck in the clouds like Clint Bickhams character in that show Anime hyper. So in my definition of good while even approving it compared to the original material, while you do not follow that even as a debate if its good, worse, or better than original performance or even your own tastes. Than your basically being ignorent on your opinion. Just like how I'm ignorant on not stopping to hate on Brina Palencia.

Quote:
His delivery of that was exceptionally poor. He's giving the bare minimum of what they can put in their rushed, low budget dubs that ignorant folks will think is good acting.

Poor? You want him to do? Overact like a shonen character? Bare minumum? Viz, NYAE, Funimation have these types of so called "bare minumum" performances. And when there good, they screw around with the script. Chris brings a happy happy medium, and I admit one of his dubs I disliked was Majikoi. But you know what? Zach Bolton who is known for Darker Than Black screwed up Haganai. Now those are dull performances. And my friends who are dub watchers adimit that.

For moer hate to fuel so than you would like to actually bash Chris. your looking at the wrong director. The center of hate for Sentai Dubs has been notebaly Steven Foster. Though I love the man for certain dubs (H.O.T.D, Cheveliar De Eon, etc.) I dislike some or even majority of his dubs too. With Chris Ayres on the other hand, they have basically been good to listen too or amazing. Don't believe me? then look for your self on peoples opinions and reviews on this stuff (even ANN reviews has them giving props to Chris). And frequents sub watcher friends I know at college watched and liked his dubs (AKB, EF, DUSK MAIDEN, Etc.)

Quote:
... You may want to clean your ears, as Emily Neves NEVER has any enunciation issues whatsoever. She is very clear, always, and it's a joy to listen to.

Clint consistently slurs his words a little and generally does not project in a clear manner.

I really don't understand what's going on in your mind that you'd praise Clint but be quick to accuse Emily of something she is the exact opposite of.

I'm sorry. I meant pronunciation. But on topic of Enunciation. In my work on stage and listening off stage during opening night performances (and also with my very clean ears thank you very much) comparing that to Clints performance. He did not instantly make me push the subtitles button due to how he made slurs (which I basically don't hear or read at all watching), examples for that are Cynthia Martinez, Greg Ayres, David Matranga, and maybe chris patton sometimes yet I love all four actors.

Joy to listen to when Emily was pronouncing Teichi's name wrong? Though I loved her performance, thats one quivel matter in my book for Emily to improve on though it did not annoy me on. But many people have, and along with Chris's controversial use of Japanese Honorifics Though I have no problem with that. Hell, Ouran Highschool Host Club uses honorifics yet people praise that and so do I except for Caitlynn Glass's performance. Its non problematic unless they use them in japansse settings like country lands or Schools.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote
[quote="bs3311"]
MarthKoopa wrote:
Yet your bashing him on an individual performance without even watching subbed?

Another person's performance does not change anything about Clint's performance.

Quote:
Poor? You want him to do? Overact like a shonen character?

I want him to speak clearly and give me some emotion. I want actors to touch my heart much like Crispin Freeman did in his huge monologue in the Suzumiya movie, or when J. Michael Tatum went on his mad scientist victory speech in Steins;Gate.

I don't want to be bored by lackluster delivery that's just your regular speaking voice.

Quote:
Bare minumum? Viz, NYAE, Funimation have these types of so called "bare minumum" performances.

You could not possibly claim that Steins;Gate, K-ON!, or FMA:B are "bare minimum" when it's so clear that they are full of life.

Quote:
For moer hate to fuel so than you would like to actually bash Chris. your looking at the wrong director. The center of hate for Sentai Dubs has been notebaly Steven Foster.

Steven Foster being the worst does not excuse Chris Ayres from being awful as well.

Quote:
Though I love the man for certain dubs (H.O.T.D

"Steven Foster is terrible but I do love one of his worst dubs ever!"

You're... strange.

Quote:
With Chris Ayres on the other hand, they have basically been good to listen too or amazing.

I've watched quite a few Chris Ayres dubs (Hakuoki, Intrigue in the Bakumatsu, Shining Hearts, Night Raid 1931, and Dusk Maiden of Amnesia), and they were all just as lazy for casting and acting as Steven Foster's. The ones out of those that didn't use honorifics weren't as bad as the ones that did (not just because of the honorifics, but other things as well). And the only person in those dubs to pull off good performances was Neves.

Quote:
Don't believe me? then look for your self on peoples opinions and reviews on this stuff (even ANN reviews has them giving props to Chris). And frequents sub watcher friends I know at college watched and liked his dubs (AKB, EF, DUSK MAIDEN, Etc.)

I couldn't care less about the opinions of those who choose to have horrible ones.

Quote:
I'm sorry. I meant pronunciation. But on topic of Enunciation. In my work on stage and listening off stage during opening night performances (and also with my very clean ears thank you very much) comparing that to Clints performance. He did not instantly make me push the subtitles button due to how he made slurs (which I basically don't hear or read at all watching), examples for that are Cynthia Martinez, Greg Ayres, David Matranga, and maybe chris patton sometimes yet I love all four actors.

I don't mean slurs as in deragotary terms, I mean slurs in how he speaks, which means poor enunciation and other abnormal speech.

Quote:
Joy to listen to when Emily was pronouncing Teichi's name wrong?

Because of the director. She has no pronunciation problems under competent directors.

Quote:
Hell, Ouran Highschool Host Club uses honorifics yet people praise that

Nobody who takes anime seriously praises Ouran... there's a reason it does miserably in Japan. The only people who enjoy that show are ignorant western girls.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:09 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:

It's actually all up on The Anime Network already, except for the last three episodes that will be released separately.

If that's the case it seems strange to me that it has taken them this long to reveal the cast names - I would have thought that would be something to be done before the dub starts airing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:47 am Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:

Ether way I'm looking forward to the release, its been on my Crunchyroll watch list since it started showing but never got around to watching... Oops. So decided to wait for its release Cool

The series concludes with 4 more episodes not on CR: ep 14 - 17. Sentai will be releasing them in Dec, so I suggest waiting if you want to watch dubs of the complete show. (otherwise there are already fansubs)
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I couldn't care less about the opinions of those who choose to have horrible ones.

Quote:
Nobody who takes anime seriously praises Ouran... there's a reason it does miserably in Japan. The only people who enjoy that show are ignorant western girls.

Yeah, you need to tone back some of the comments. As the rules state, you are to disagree respectfully and respect other peoples opinions. This means no dismissing peoples counter points just because you feel their opinions are terrible as your own counter argument, and no dismissing (and insulting) anyone who likes something you don't as a "ignorant western girl". This kind of behavior is not going to fly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3