• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Announces New Manga Licenses at NYCC

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:20 pm Reply with quote
And in usual Viz tradition, half of these have already been solicited. I'll be glad to finally have Pretty Face, though.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Not only is Millenium Snow previously announced, they already ran a preview chapter in Shojo Beat and I have both volumes pre-ordered. Which of those titles are new? I know Strawberry 100% isn't and I'm pretty sure Love Com and Hoshin Engi aren't either.
PaRaNoidEuPhoRiA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:45 pm Reply with quote
It's so hard to keep track of those things, but I'll admit that I'm glad to hear about Lovely Complex, as it's impossible to get anyone to keep translating it for some reason...
firecrouch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Wait a minute. GYO, Uzumaki? Aren't these just reprints? Well whatever. They sound like they're just OOP titles that sold wel enough that Viz is willing to renew them under the Signature line. The Editors' Choice line is basically dead, and Viz might as well just take all the series printed under that label and slap Signature on them. They've already done that with the awesome series Phoenix.

I'd really like to see Viz do more for the kid and adult audiences with manga. I speak for myself when I say I'd like to see Gantz and Doraemon make the leap over here, but they both have difficulties doing that. Gantz is filled with sex and violence and Dallas from Del Rey told me that the widow of the creator of Doraemon, who basically owns the rights to the series, doesn't want it to come out in the U.S.A. unless it's as big as Pokemon.
Nebs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I miss the days when anime/manga titles were hyperlinks to their Encyclopedia entries in ANN's stories. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Antimonitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I've had a hell of a time finding hard copies of Gyo and Uzumaki (already read them online), so glad to hear those are going to be getting reprinted.

Last edited by Antimonitor on Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:13 pm Reply with quote
And still no announcement concerning Pluto, I was hoping that with the strong sales of Monster that Viz might reach out to grab Urawasa newest project. It has ties to the one of the most famous manga (astro boy) perhaps it will be announced sometime after 20th century boy is being released in 2009......
firecrouch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't even think 20th Century Boys has a release date, I just heard that Viz is releasing it after their release of Monster finishes off.
Storm Princess

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Did they not announce they had Gintama and they were going to run it in Shonen Jump LAST YEAR at a Comic Con...or am I seeing things? But then again....like everyone else said...most of them are repeats. Maybe they forgot what they said last year or something. Knowing them...they probally did...

Last edited by Storm Princess on Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:55 am; edited 3 times in total
LightYagami

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:00 pm Reply with quote
firecrouch wrote:

I'd really like to see Viz do more for the kid and adult audiences with manga. I speak for myself when I say I'd like to see Gantz and Doraemon make the leap over here, but they both have difficulties doing that. Gantz is filled with sex and violence and Dallas from Del Rey told me that the widow of the creator of Doraemon, who basically owns the rights to the series, doesn't want it to come out in the U.S.A. unless it's as big as Pokemon.

Personally, I'd rather see Dark Horse license Gantz because at least Dark Horse won't censor it. I would hate to think what viz would have done to Berserk and Hellsing if they ever got the license, and even that thought alone makes me shudder.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:11 pm Reply with quote
firecrouch wrote:
I don't even think 20th Century Boys has a release date, I just heard that Viz is releasing it after their release of Monster finishes off.

Urasawa asked Viz to not release 20th Century Boy with Monsterat the same time because he felt that it would do a disservice to his art if it wasn't released in the same order as it had been in Japan. That said the first volume of 20 Century boys was released on January 30, 2000; whereas volume 15 Monster had just been released that same year. I am hoping that Viz does release 20th century boys shortly after that volume.....that said with Viz current release schedule of Monster we wouldn't see 20th Century boy until May......of 2008.

LightYagami wrote:
Personally, I'd rather see Dark Horse license Gantz because at least Dark Horse won't censor it. I would hate to think what viz would have done to Berserk and Hellsing if they ever got the license, and even that thought alone makes me shudder.

I am somewhat surprised that no one has licensed this series, I mean it can't be because it's so violent. And not only that I thought that this series was somewhat popular in the states....I figured it was a lock to be picked up by someone. But if it did I would hope that Dark Horse did get it, they have done some amazing work in the past with other similar series.

Last edited by Deltakiral on Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:27 pm Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:

Even if Viz gets Gantz, I doubt they would censor it. When Viz censors it is usually something in a series aimed at a younger crowd and is an anomaly in an otherwise okay series (I"s being the exception there, but even that seems to be uncut now). The censoring they would have to do would make CMX's TenTen edits look minor. Hell, it would make 4kids' One Piece seem like a faifthful reproduction. It would be absurd and I don't think Viz has is quite that bad.
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:17 am Reply with quote
Dammit! When is Viz gonna pick up some more Jump series? I already knew about Ichigo 100%, Hoshin Engi and Gintama for almost a year. They need to license Private-Eye Brain eater Neuro and Muhyo to Rouji.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote
"New" manga licenses. Ya right.

Viz remains an utterly boring and predictable publisher.
Ever heard of seinen Viz? Ever heard of Big Comic Spirits Viz? Ever heard of your own d*mn Signature line Viz?

Quite laughable really.
domino

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quote
Gintama is "new"? Are they actually going to release it this time, or just keep releasing one chapter per year? Anime cry

And I hope they realize that the "Gin Tama" thing isn't catching on anywhere. Fans around the world have never called it anything but one word, so why complicate things?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5