• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Del Rey Licensing and Release News

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear about everything but the last thing. For some reason I want to get my hands on Pumpkin Scissors but maybe that just because of the name....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Nothing special in this batch of licenses for me.
2 Shonen Sirius titles and a manga by the writer of GetBackers (Psycho Busters).
Pumpkin Scissors should be a bit more known, thanks to the anime.

How I wished for Vinland Saga or even Fairy Tail. Guess it's still too early.
Drowning_Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I didn't expect Pumpkin Scissors to ever be licensed. The anime is kind of average (even though it gets some great moments) but I have the feeling that the manga should be a bit better.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Eh, rather lackluster licenses. I might check into Pumpkin Scissors just because I've enjoyed some parts of the anime here and there, though it isn't a "must buy" by any means.

Damn, I just wish Del Rey would license Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.

Drowning_Wolf wrote:
I didn't expect Pumpkin Scissors to ever be licensed. The anime is kind of average (even though it gets some great moments) but I have the feeling that the manga should be a bit better.

Without Gonzo's incredibly awkward animation and use of filler? Possibly.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Del Rey's licenses are very hit and miss for me. Sometimes I loathe their bishoujo choices, but then they come up with stuff like Mushishi out of the blue.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Drowning_Wolf wrote:

Yeah I really want to know if Pumpkin Scissor is really that bad, or if it's a GONZO product. Pumpkin Scissors has had some really nice moments but it's been such a roller coaster.....it's reminded me of the first season of FMP, wait wasn't that Gonzo also.... Rolling Eyes.
ruly_463

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quote
What is Shiki Tsukai i haven't heard of it does anybody know what is it about.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Crap in a hat. Del Rey is getting on the 'OEL manga' with an American pop star bullcrap too? Well, Del Ray just went down a notch in my book.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I've heard of any of these series. I didn't even know Pumpkin Scissors was a manga. Oh well, I'll see what they're like eventually.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't know any of the titles either, except Pumpkin Scissors, but I'm happy to hear about the guide to manga even though it will probably be out of date before they print it. There are too few references about manga available for my bookshelf, and it will be nice to have one that I don't have to be online to use. Plus, if it's accurate, it will be a great tool for parents.

About the OEL manga starring Lavigne... Ick. That's all we need, reality TV meets manga. What's next? A series where new artists battle it out and you choose the winner: American Mangaka?
Kakalini

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Of those titles, I'm most interested in Make 5 Wishes. The premise seems okay, but the art is really pretty, from the preview I've seen. It's definitely something I'll check out, at least.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Eh, rather lackluster licenses. I might check into Pumpkin Scissors just because I've enjoyed some parts of the anime here and there, though it isn't a "must buy" by any means.

[snip]

Without Gonzo's incredibly awkward animation and use of filler? Possibly.

I swear, they must have decided to stick 90% of the plot in the first 4-5 episodes and the last few. I finally gave up around 17, I gave that show way too many chances. If the manga looks like it may be better, I may give it a look. Otherwise, I didn't notice anything in this batch of licenses that I recognized or was interested in.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I'll be interested in checking out Pumpkin Scissors.

As to the OEL stuff...ugh. I suppose with TokyoPop desperately trying to ram Courtney Love's Princess Ai down everyone's throat in all sorts of forms (OEL, comic strips, movie, novels, whatever), Del Rey must have felt the need to jump on the bandwagon. Well, they can do what they want, but I won't touch OEL with a 10' pole.

I wish Del Rey could expand beyond Kodansha titles, but oh well.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:43 am Reply with quote
I was hoping for a little more from Del Rey. Not only do none of these interest me but neither have any of their other recent titles (except Mushishi). I wish they were bigger risk takers, most of their titles have been pretty safe. And the OEL... whose idea was it to make a comic about Avril Lavigne? Yuck. I just hope they don't become like Tokyopop.
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:37 am Reply with quote
There is a group doing highly illegal stuff with the Pumpkin Scissors manga *hint* *hint*

Based on the first chapter it really doesn't seem like it's any better than the anime. It just doesn't look all that great, if anything somehow the art is lazier than GONZO's take on it.

Quote:
How I wished for Vinland Saga or even Fairy Tail. Guess it's still too early.

Early is a bit of an understatement.

Have they even released more than a couple volumes of Fairy Tale in Japan even? O_o

Even Vinland saga isn't past three volumes that I know of.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2