• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-03-02]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:08 am Reply with quote
Dark_Glaive

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote
Ah, I love this weeks rant. The people who complain about their videos that they made using copyright material or using their almost positively stolen copy of Photoshop/Professional Video Editing programs are truly awesome hypocrites. If you put it on the Internet and expect your copyright to be respected the joke is on you. Don't put it up on the Internet unless you are prepared to pay lawyers to defend your copyright. If you wanna play the copyright game, you gotta pay the entry fee.

Last edited by Dark_Glaive on Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Eos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Some bands do care about AMVs, but only because some moron who DLed some videos from "The Org" wrote to the record label asking for more information about the anime videos he thought that the band had made. Judging from the flurry of forum activity that followed, it seemed that the label had to enforce their copyrights under "due dilligence" and request the removal of their their bands' music (and accompanying videos) from the site. Needless to say, all videos on that site now have a disclaimer saying "This video is purely fanmade and has no connection to any anime company, record label, or musical artist."

The whole Wind Up Records fiasco, yea. All AMV's featuring music from those artists (Evanescence, Creed, etc) had to be taken down.

As for the "anime haters," most tend to not been exposed to anime outside of Pokemon and DBZ. The “there’s better stuff out there” argument falls on deaf ears because they’ve decided this is all anime has to offer. In the end, they miss out on enjoying solid entertainment (same could be said of otaku who refuse to watch anything produced in America).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dark_Glaive

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:22 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

I mean seriously, what talent does little Timmy have that 70 other folks haven't done with the same song from Linkin Park or Nora Jones? Most of them are ****ing crap, and shouldn't even exist in the first place. Frankly, YouTube should go in, delete all the crap AMV's, and BAM!! more space for meaningful stuff like a Police Organ Run.

YouTube has enough space for everyone. I'd rather have a YouTube of freedom where anybody can post whatever they want, no matter how bad it might be, than a YouTube where "you" decide what goes on there. Inevitably, if you put restrictions on it, some of the good stuff is going to get excluded. It's like TV. If you don't like it, don't watch it.
Stullz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote
OK so cosplay is illegal? WTF? *sarcasm*

I'm going to take my comments away from anime and say for example comic books (think X-Men, Spiderman) and Movies (Star Wars, LOTR).

By what I am reading, it was illegal for me to make my own wolverine, and luke skywalker costumes when I was younger (for holloween) or for my friend Grant who made a total kick-ass Ghostbusters costume for a party )complete with gun with sound and everything, even the theme[he used his ipod])
And would it therefore be illegal for someone to play pretend as that character? (we all did that as kids and you know it) where is the line drawn?
all in all this all just a bunch of BS. I'm more concerned about the leaglity of watching fansubs in genera, I do it, many of you do it, and hopefully we buy the licensed DVDs of those series to show that we care. Fansubs are the only way non-Japanese speakers and non-living in Japan people can watch a new anime series, its not like we have world wide TV broadcasts for that purpose. Its all a double-edged sword....

people have always made costumes for costume parties so what makes cosplay illegal? there is no profit involved in the actual making or standard use of the costume, sure there are contests with prizes, however those are common even for normal parties not just conventions.

And on the subject of fan-fiction elements (ie doujin) yeah they're illegal in the US because of copyright but some authors allow it others don't (once again staying away from anime/manga) the author Terry Goodkind does not allow fans to make up stories about his characters or fantasy world because it could interfere with him ever getting a movie deal on his books (or something like that)

now im just rambling....
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:39 am Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
Cuprin wrote:
Quote:
I can't for the life of me think of an another form of entertainment that people love or hate so obsessively.

Two words: Country Music

Thats exactly what I was going to say Anime hyper

Same here, some anime fans seem to think that anime is the only group that see's this type of behavior but it's everywhere. You see it in really any hobby or fandom that people develop an attachment to or requires dedication. It's common in sports, music, even literature as I found out when I spoke to some people who were meeting for a book club at a Barnes and Noble and were apparently humored for the fact I was buying a book from the fantasy/sci-fi genre as it's not "real fiction" to them.

You notice it with anime because you face it as a fan, but that doesn't mean it's specific to anime alone on the hate side. Now I must admit when it comes to the love side I haven't encountered many fandoms with such blind devotion as we see with the japanophiles. I'm sure they exist, but honestly I've never encountered any group nearly as obsessive and regularly visible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rose Kitsune

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
I make AMVs for fun, and I put them on YouTube, also for fun. They're all from shows that I own, or would own if they were licensed.

My opinion is that making an AMV is like writing a fanfiction; you do it for fun because you love a series. As Zac said, no one is getting hurt by it.

I actually think that AMVs are more helpful than harmful. There are plenty of music videos that have gotten me to like different bands and anime. A Fullmetal Alchemist video to "Protege Moi" made me a Placebo fan, and a Princess Tutu vid got me interested in the anime, which I had had no intention of checking out prior to seeing it. I'm not sure if that's how it works for other people, but that's just my experience with it.

TakinawaTonfa wrote:
That is hilarious.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote
Stullz wrote:
By what I am reading, it was illegal for me to make my own wolverine, and luke skywalker costumes when I was younger (for holloween) or for my friend Grant who made a total kick-ass Ghostbusters costume for a party )complete with gun with sound and everything, even the theme[he used his ipod])

Yes, TECHNICALLY that is illegal. REALISTICALLY, the companies don't care 99% of the time. But if you want to see the legality, a PERFECT place to look is your nearest fabric store. Look in their pattern book and see how they have costumes for "knights of space" or "magical adventures" which are BLATANTLY "Star Wars" or "Lord of the Rings" inspired, but it's a trademark infringement to call them such. Likewise, it is illegal for you to "steal" those designs. It IS assinine, and it IS stupid, but LEGALLY it is true. When Anime Expo was at Disney there WAS a stipulation against cosplaying Disney characters. For Disney, there is a clear REASOn for that in that their employees are required to behave a certain way and they didn't want non-Expo visitors thinking Expo cosplayers were Disney paid characters and having a bad experience because of attitude. And LEGALLY they can TOTALLY do that. Again, most of the time they WON'T do that, but that isn't to say they CAN'T.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:56 am Reply with quote
Yes. Those screencaps are priceless. There should be a gallary somewhere dedicated to something like this.

And anytime someone asks me how something like that can happen, I often lend them my two Animation Runner Kuromi DVDs. While the OVAs are a parody/spoof of Japanese animation production, a lot of that humor is spawned from what goes on in that industry.

In Kuromi, there's even a character who happens to produce the fastest key frame drawings out of everyone there, but he sacrifices high quality for speed. Big time. Also, if I remember correctly, there are several more sight gags about the horrors of off-model frames. Actually, one major plot point, in the second episode, deals with something like this.

Ichigo77 wrote:
I have met my share of people who hate anime and I think some people's brain's just cannot handle it. I say this because when these people see anime they can do nothing but bag on it the while it is on, if you have watched anime with these people in the room you know what I am talking about.

Y'see? This is usually the part where you're suppose to kick people like that right out of the damn room. They're "bagging" on the anime because they're spoiled brats, and their parents gave them anything they wanted because they whined their way to it. Sadly, these folks are under the mistaken impression this "method" still works, when they're in their early twenties or mid-thirties. Rolling Eyes
Omega13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quote
TakinawaTonfa wrote:

Zoro Bunshin no Jutsu!

But really, he's just that good.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:

LOL it's like Bleach done American style.
Space Goats

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:24 am Reply with quote
Rose Kitsune wrote:
I make AMVs for fun, and I put them on YouTube, also for fun. They're all from shows that I own, or would own if they were licensed.

My opinion is that making an AMV is like writing a fanfiction; you do it for fun because you love a series. As Zac said, no one is getting hurt by it.

I actually think that AMVs are more helpful than harmful. There are plenty of music videos that have gotten me to like different bands and anime. A Fullmetal Alchemist video to "Protege Moi" made me a Placebo fan, and a Princess Tutu vid got me interested in the anime, which I had had no intention of checking out prior to seeing it. I'm not sure if that's how it works for other people, but that's just my experience with it.

The problem is you do not own the rights to redistribute the material, which is what you are doing when you put it on YouTube. It doesn't matter if you editted it and put a song behind it, you are still redistributing copyrighted material. There is no getting around it: AMVs are technically illegal the moment they leave your computer and find themselves on the internet.

That aside, what is technically illegal and morally illegal are two different things in my book. I see nothing wrong with making AMVs from an anime distributer's standpoint. Of course from the standpoint of the musician whose music is not only being ripped off but often times plastered onto a poorly made clip show of something they probably don't want to be associated with... well... you get the picture. When you look at it that way there's no way to defend it. You can't just see things from the perspective of the anime distributer when so many copyrighted songs are being freely distributed in the process.

[/i]
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:24 am Reply with quote
The banner's still not loading on my browser, this is the 3rd time.

I like AMVs, but yeah the majority of them are absolute crap following the same formula of some rock song set to random fight scenes. What's even worse is when the same song is used to the same anime but with some differences in the fight scenes or the editing of those fight scenes. But there are some truly terrific ones out there as well. When the ORG does its annual AMV awards, that's usually when I find the best ones.

And those screenshots are hilarious. I've seen a few instances of crappy animation and all of them have been in 100+ episode shounen titles.
Karasuhebi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
What browser are you using?

-Karasuhebi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Space Goats

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:35 am Reply with quote
Also I'd like to throw another hat into the discussion about the whacky still frames you guys are pulling out. While there is NO excuse for a headless Naruto, sometimes you have to remember that still frames are not meant to be viewed as... still frames.

Shows are viewed in frames per second basically. In most scenes the framerate is incredibly low in Japanese animation, however framerate for fighting scenes (something quite popular in anime, go figure) is often much higher. Often times the framerate is so high that to get the proper image conveyed you cannot draw the characters proportionally correct. The best example is this fight scene from Naruto between Naruto and Sasuke. Now I won't post the exact LINK because that would be morally wrong <_< but you know the one I am talking about. ANYWHO, to acheive fluid motion animators will draw characters that appear to be bending, twisting and distorting their bodies in ways that look ridiculous when viewed as a single frame, but when viewed in full motion it usually looks pretty damn good.

Sure, it's humorous when you pause it and dig thru the frames because sometimes Sasuke's head looks like it's on backwards or something equally hilarious, but it looks pretty damn good while it's playing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10