• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon to Release When They Cry - Higurashi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightYagami

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:42 am Reply with quote
If Higurashi turns out to be a success here in the states I truly hope that geneon takes a closer look at monster which falls in the same genre, both of which are on par to a certain extent with each other for being suspenseful and down right disturbing. But now my question is that since higurashi has been generally considered one of the most disturbing anime of all time will geneon censor any content out like per say the end of spoiler[ episode 4 when Keiichi Maebara commits suicide by clawing his own throat out with his fingernails ] Shocked.
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:43 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
icepick314 wrote:
Air or Kanon have as much chance of US license as pigs flying...

that's just me....

As did Rumbling Hearts and Fruits Basket and Boys Be..., but they're all licensed, as well as Sainukoku Monogatari, if the rumor is true about it being licensed by Geneon as well.
You named 3 titles of which only 1 was a real shot in the dark when it comes to licensing and that one was the #1 rated show on various sites which pretty much explains why it was chosen. Air and Kanon are considered nearly licensing hell titles for their rumored licensing cost. Those other titles were not.

Considering the success of previous doujin titles, I'd think Higurashi was an eventual no brainer.

Last edited by bayoab on Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
JustinSane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:
If Higurashi turns out to be a success here in the states I truly hope that geneon takes a closer look at monster which falls in the same genre, both of which are on par to a certain extent with each other for being suspenseful and down right disturbing. But now my question is that since higurashi has been generally considered one of the most disturbing anime of all time will geneon censor any content out like per say the end of spoiler[ episode 4 when Keiichi Maebara commits suicide by clawing his own throat out with his fingernails ] Shocked.

I doubt anything will be censured. If they do, BOYCOTT TIME!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:47 am Reply with quote
When was the last time censored something? Have they EVER? Why do people keep bringing these kinds of things up?
JustinSane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:49 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
When was the last time censored something? Have they EVER? Why do people keep bringing these kinds of things up?

I agree. I was just being sarcastic with the boycott statement. I don't remember any instance of Geneon ever censuring a dvd release. If anyone knows of one, please prove me wrong.
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:49 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

So they can split hairs for no reason other than them not liking a dub they never saw?
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:

That's a huge exaggeration. Higgy's anime as far as "surprise violence mixed with cute" goes died after the fourth episode. One episode does not make a disturbing show, given there's other titles like that weird Kenzo something, Paranoia Agent and Elfen Lied that have simmilar make-ups. EL's success was because of the fanservice, brutal gore and "emotional" theme; PA and most likely Higgy suffer from being based on a mystery, except Higgy's mystery was poorly adapted.

Frankly, it's somewhat of a surprise Geneon licensed this title; from what I saw, they didn't license it ahead of time because they weren't expecting much from it (when they easily could have alongside FSN and SnS), and only moved to get it after Higgy made an impact. EVEN THEN, we found out the hard way the anime was pretty bad, on par with the first Negima! series in terms of artwork and unparalleled as far as weak game -> anime condensation goes. At that, what's the point of getting this title when we've already discerned the mystery? I couldn't imagine a market for Higgy online or for the "casual" anime viewer.

In sum, I really think this title was only licensed because of its simmilarities to EL, but EL fans are in for a big disappointment. >_>;
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:51 am Reply with quote
JustinSane wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I agree. I was just being sarcastic with the boycott statement. I don't remember any instance of Geneon ever censuring a dvd release. If anyone knows of one, please prove me wrong.
Before it gets brought up, Geneon did not censor Mao Dante, those were the only masters available to the rest of the world.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That's a huge exaggeration. Higgy's anime as far as "surprise violence mixed with cute" goes died after the fourth episode.

Er, what? That was tame compared to things later. The first minute of the very next episode is worse. And there is the 'distinction' and several scenes that had to be edited for TV (you may remember a things covered by black shadows in the fansubs).
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
I only saw like one of the last clues(only because of time issues), but it was one of the easiest, never the less I was very pumped to hear about this.

In fact, I am interested in how this will do in the R1 market. But much more pumped that this is coming out. Geneon has a fairly good record of keeping things uncensored(least on my shelves), so I have high hopes this will be a very good release.

As for the series itself, expect different 51% of the time instead of the other way around. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LightYagami

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:55 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
LightYagami wrote:

That's a huge exaggeration. Higgy's anime as far as "surprise violence mixed with cute" goes died after the fourth episode. One episode does not make a disturbing show, given there's other titles like that weird Kenzo something, Paranoia Agent and Elfen Lied that have simmilar make-ups. EL's success was because of the fanservice, brutal gore and "emotional" theme; PA and most likely Higgy suffer from being based on a mystery, except Higgy's mystery was poorly adapted.

Frankly, it's somewhat of a surprise Geneon licensed this title; from what I saw, they didn't license it ahead of time because they weren't expecting much from it (when they easily could have alongside FSN and SnS), and only moved to get it after Higgy made an impact. EVEN THEN, we found out the hard way the anime was pretty bad, on par with the first Negima! series in terms of artwork and unparalleled as far as weak game -> anime condensation goes. At that, what's the point of getting this title when we've already discerned the mystery? I couldn't imagine a market for Higgy online or for the "casual" anime viewer.

In sum, I really think this title was only licensed because of its simmilarities to EL, but EL fans are in for a big disappointment. >_>;

I'll agree that the animation wasn't the greatest and i personally think it would have been nice if mad house did the animation considering the quality jobs they've done with death note and monster.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:59 am Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:

I'll agree that the animation wasn't the greatest and i personally think it would have been nice if mad house did the animation considering the quality jobs they've done with death note and monster.

MH did Monster? Holy shoot, I think I might actually check it out this time around; only recently have I discovered how much quality and "style" MH puts into the anime. They've got this sort of "theatre on television" feel in their works, with interesting colour palletes, lighting and cut-aways. Heck, by comparison with other titles like Hajime no Ippo, DN pales in comparison.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:05 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
You named 3 titles of which only 1 was a real shot in the dark when it comes to [etc.]

Ok, then look at the top 50 worst rated and see how many are licensed. I think the only thing holding back Air and Kanon from being licensed is the cost. I'm fairly sure that the costs for the rights will be fairly high for the genre, and the companies might not be willing to take any risks at this time. I'll assume that the shot in the dark you were mention was Boys Be..., since by even low standards it's pretty bad, but even Rumblings Hearts had to wait a few years. As dor Furuba, that was more of taking a very good risk on the manga and riding the fandom for the anime...of whose official dubs and subs I shall not speak of as it burned my eyes and ears. Anyway, I think that's far enough derailed for now, time to get back on track.

Though I would have preferred some other series to be announced, I'm rather elated to see this one. I don't think they'll do any censuring as they would kill their own product, but we might not get it on anything such as Cartoon Network, hopefully I'm wrong on that one though. I personally think that every who has the chance to watch it should, it's a great series that doesn't make sense at first until you realize how it's being told, and then it becomes fun in a very violent and bloody kind of way.
LightYagami

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:05 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
LightYagami wrote:

MH did Monster? Holy shoot, I think I might actually check it out this time around; only recently have I discovered how much quality and "style" MH puts into the anime. They've got this sort of "theatre on television" feel in their works, with interesting colour palletes, lighting and cut-aways. Heck, by comparison with other titles like Hajime no Ippo, DN pales in comparison.

For the curious, the following link shows a list of all the anime mad house has been involved with and some of the titles they done in the past will come as a surprise to some.

company#392

And yes Monster is definitely worth checking out especially if your into murder mysteries of the highest quality 10/10, a perfect masterpiece.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
I await a chance to preorder the starter box.

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5