• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon to Release When They Cry - Higurashi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustinSane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:11 am Reply with quote
Monster is without a doubt the best series I have seen. *points to avatar* If you like murder mysteries as much as I do then its right down your alley. Another great anime that Madhouse did the animation production on is Beck, which really have nothing to do with murder or mysteries but any lover of music can appreciate it.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:14 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Er, what? That was tame compared to things later. The first minute of the very next episode is worse. And there is the 'distinction' and several scenes that had to be edited for TV (you may remember a things covered by black shadows in the fansubs).

Episode four happened at a time when the direction of the Higgy anime hadn't been fully determined by viewers; when I saw it, I was fudgin' scared since I was watching it by myself at 1:00 AM. I ran into my sister's closet and slept the whole night away, hahaha.

But, I never had that same feeling of exhilarating fear anywhere else in the series. Watanaganashi-hen only annoyed me, and I dropped the series at the butchered Tatarigoroshi-hen. I only dived back in for Meakashi-hen which was more interesting simply because it was from another person's POV, and I stayed on board for Tsumihoroboshi-hen *only* because of Yotsuba's hype of the Heaven v. Hell climax, which turned out to be a campy failure.

Last edited by Malintex Terek on Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:18 am Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:
Malintex Terek wrote:
LightYagami wrote:

I'll agree that the animation wasn't the greatest and i personally think it would have been nice if mad house did the animation considering the quality jobs they've done with death note and monster.

MH did Monster? Holy shoot, I think I might actually check it out this time around; only recently have I discovered how much quality and "style" MH puts into the anime. They've got this sort of "theatre on television" feel in their works, with interesting colour palletes, lighting and cut-aways. Heck, by comparison with other titles like Hajime no Ippo, DN pales in comparison.

For the curious, the following link shows a list of all the anime mad house has been involved with and some of the titles they done in the past will come as a surprise to some.

company#392

And yes Monster is definitely worth checking out especially if your into murder mysteries of the highest quality 10/10, a perfect masterpiece.

Monster is worth checking out no matter what type of anime you like. In my humble opinion, it is the best plot ever animated.
redcomet15

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
I dare say, it's fiiiiiiiesta time!

Don't you mean FEE-YAY-STA?! ARIBA!!

Personally, I greatly enjoyed the Higurashi anime. Considering the breadth of the source material, I thought the anime was a fair adaptation of the original games and I feel it takes too much abuse from fans for not living up to their unrealistically high expectations. Certainly the anime could have been directed differently, but the direction it did take is not horrible either.
I won't deny the rampant amounts of QUALITY exuded by the show, but I will say it didn't bother me all that much. The story was so engrossing that any drops in animation or art could be overlooked, and the wonderful soundtrack composed by Kenji Kawaii helped retain the show's creepy atmosphere even when the visuals did not.
I don't think it's too hard to see why Geneon picked up this title: It did well enough in Japan to warrant a second season, and it's got enough popular elements to make it a sleeper hit here in America. It seems these days the American anime consumer base just eats up moe, violence, and thriller-oriented stories, and all of those traits are presented in Higurashi. Along with the tremendous amount of Internet hype surrounding the show, I believe Higurashi will be at least moderately successful here in the US.
I've been expecting this show to eventually be licensed for American release for some time now, and I knew that Geneon would be the company to do it; I was actually hoping during the last Guess the Geneon License contest that Higurashi was the anime in question. Regardless, well met Geneon! I look forward to giving you my money and being able to revisit Hinamizawa in the near future.
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:37 am Reply with quote
Uso Da !

no way...i would have could guess it ! Laughing Laughing
humbug23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:44 am Reply with quote
Excuse me while I shift aside the general excitement towards this licensing, but may I know how the article's author knew that Higurashi 2 is gearing up for an April '07 release? All the information I got (i.e. the official website Laughing)only said later this year.
Starks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:37 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
menshi wrote:
there's a season two in April I wonder if it will cover all of the remaining scenario's.

It'll probably only cover Minagorshi-hen. If it goes over Matsuribayashi-hen I will laugh heartily, because while the Higgy anime was a terrible taco, that game-arc was cheesy. And, just so you know, people who are lactose intolerant can go to the emergency room. Laughing

I dare say, it's fiiiiiiiesta time!
NOOOOOOOO!

It's got CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!
crilix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:40 am Reply with quote
humbug23 wrote:
but may I know how the article's author knew that Higurashi 2 is gearing up for an April '07 release? All the information I got (i.e. the official website Laughing)only said later this year.
You're right. For now, no other information was released to the public other than the numbers "2007". If it truly was a spring show, we would've known the air dates already. Probably the spring euforia must've made the entry's author add it in by mistake. Laughing
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:26 am Reply with quote
I stopped watching this after the second arc. It wasn't intentional or anything. I just wanted a break and just never started again. I liked the concept a lot and really wanted to like this show, but the execution pretty much murdered the drama with bad characterization and the so called, "creepy moments" were more funny and confusing than outright creepy. An engaging and potantially engrossing concept gets buried in cheap shock value, confusing characterization, and a storyline that mystifies you to the point where it doesn't seem to matter what's going on, as it's driven by yet more confusion, cheap misdirection, and shock value. They focus so hard on keeping it mysterious by persenting only the bare minimum of tidbits and on shock value at the expense of any genuine drama fueled scares that it really made me wonder why it hit so big or why it's so vastly praised.

The first arc was just terrible. I couldn't care less what became of Keiichi as all he did was act irratically the whole time. First he's okay, than he's paranoid, than everything is fine at the school, than he's freaking out. It lacked sense, and relied on that to create it's "disturbing" atosophere. The relied so much of keeping you confused as to what's actually happening and on the gimmick of, "it's cute, but than it turns evil all of a sudden, then back again". It's hard for me to feel frightened for a character, when I've been given little chance to care for them.

The second arc was better than the first in terms of structure. At least that one developed the characters. It was damaged by the first arc, as the suspension of disbelief was thrown out the window there. Even then, it decided at the end that messing with your head was better than creating genuine terror.

I understand that they were trying to go for storytelling that keeps you guessing, but it came off as more 'what the heck was that' than anything else.They wanted a "who can you trust" and "what'll happen next" story, but created a "who the heck are these people" and "what's going on/why is he doing that" one. Most of the time, the storytelling is so inept(epecially in arc one) that I just couldn't get into it (and I can get into just about anything).

I wonder if they'll include the tips, since I've heard they're vital to understanding the latter. Shouldn't this stuff be self-contained?

I don't like judging something before finishing it, so i was going to wait for one fansubber to finish, but that's not happening now. Maybe when it's cheap I'll finish it. Though I'll probably just barrow it from my friend, as I'm sure he'll be thrilled at the news. Then I'll be able to know for certain if it was just a bad first impression (I did like arc two until the lame twist at the end), or if their really is no redeeming value in the anime version. I'm pretty open, but it really depends on the SoD. This is why I took a long break from the show.

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate Higurashi. I like the overall concept of the series. I just found the anime poorly told, and it made the show unengaging. I am intrigued by the mystery, and some of the characters, but watching the show just wasn't satisfying. I'll probably like the manga and games a lot more. Same the games will probably never get a US release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Digi Angel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:42 am Reply with quote
What threw me off was "based off a PC game", I automatically thought they were talking about bishoujo games. The only thing I could come up with was Air, I knew that was just wishful thinking. I will officially sell my soul to whomever licences Air and Kanon(2006), preferably Geneon though.

With the increasing amount of bishoujo-game-based-anime being licenced lately, maybe it isn't so impossible, though this could just be more of my wishful thinking.

Anyway, back to the subject. Since it's Geneon, they should have a decent amount of episodes per DVD, so I plan on buying it when it's released. I'm sure the dub will be a laughing fest though, can't imagine them trying to find voices that can be creepy and cutesy, dubs already have trouble finding the latter.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:11 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or did they not post the winners yet?

I mean, I don't really care about the prize that much. I'd just like to know.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:25 am Reply with quote
Good news.

Since I only bought the first DVD, were they any improvements to quality on the later volumes?
One thing I remember really bothering me with the TV version was one episode where Satoko's hands were disturbingly smaller than her eyes and I've been hoping that sprt of thing might be tweaked on the DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote
Good news, good news. And I even guessed something right for a change (I don't think I guessed fast enough though). From what I read from the manga, this series has potential, and I will make sure that a lot of people will hear about this series that don't know about it.
Drowning_Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote
That was an easy guess but I am so glad the series will see the day out here! As for the Higurashi bashing some apply, I cannot agree completely, I thought the show was fairly easy to follow even if a large percentage of what's going on is not explicated (in the arc where it's going on, that is) but it left a lot of place for thinking and discussing with friends and by the end of the anime a lot of question are answered anyway. But I have to agree that the manga and game are far better (okay, I don't know about the game but I guess it is).
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:21 am Reply with quote
I already got the licensing by clue one.

I'm much more excited about a definite month for the second season!
EDIT: ....bugger.

I've heard Matsuribayashi-hen was a chapter filled with miracles, but the PS2 final chapter has to deal with the "central" character overcoming every obstacle (Shion being mad at Mion, etc) at the SAME time. It's apparently the absolute finale of the series (since a certain spoiler[sweet-toothed character] doesn't make an appearance). I hope that Minagoroshi and the three PS2 arcs are animated. That would just rock.

Malintex Terek wrote:

Episode four happened at a time when the direction of the Higgy anime hadn't been fully determined by viewers; when I saw it, I was fudgin' scared since I was watching it by myself at 1:00 AM. I ran into my sister's closet and slept the whole night away, hahaha.

But, I never had that same feeling of exhilarating fear anywhere else in the series. Watanaganashi-hen only annoyed me, and I dropped the series at the butchered Tatarigoroshi-hen. I only dived back in for Meakashi-hen which was more interesting simply because it was from another person's POV, and I stayed on board for Tsumihoroboshi-hen *only* because of Yotsuba's hype of the Heaven v. Hell climax, which turned out to be a campy failure.

Tsumihoroboshi was probably the second best adaptation in the anime. The only thing it kind of dropped the ball on was the Heaven or Hell scene and general rushing of the last episode. Everything else was done near perfectly. I do wish they had included the last TIP though, since it was basically the epilouge of the chapter.

I didn't really mind the butchering of Meakashi and Tatarigoroshi. The only thing that I was sort of disappointed in was the screwed up faces of Shmion (though it was only one sister, just keeping it vauge) and the lack of monolouges, which would have upped the emotion ten-fold. I just bought the manga and it seemed to fill in most of the gaps. The final scene in Watangashi (manga) was pretty damn freaky though.[/i]

Last edited by whoisfriend on Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5