• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Fall 2013 - The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:59 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
They are teenagers because teenage protagonists are the anime standard. I doubt it occurred to them to feature adults

This is actually explained in the anime. Of course, they could have explained it differently to make them adults, I suppose, but it isn't just thrown out there haphazardly with no explanation.

spoiler[They're genetically engineered from birth to withstand radiation, and they're only just now old to venture into the irradiated zone.]
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:48 am Reply with quote
Teenage girls with BIG guns, yay! Ther world's gone to hell in a bucket, but the girls are still wearing their school uniforms. There's alma matre dedication for ya, but you know it's all about the pantu, or the non wearing of. Laughing
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Also, that Maaya Sakamoto is playing a character with a deranged face grants that I at least watch one or two episodes

Not the first time of course (see Tales of Xillia), but it's always a treat! Laughing

And yeah, it's in the story synopsis why the girls can walk around in a contaminated area easily. And besides, I bet those school uniforms have anti-upskirt technology or smart enough to pull a Mikoto Misaka. Surprised
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote
Coppelion certainly sounds like the making of a very good anime. I somehow think this is one that will be better received in the West than in Japan though.

I am curious if Diabolik Lovers will be THE controversial anime of Fall 2013 or if there will be another contender.

I am of course HYPED for Kill la Kill and I will be watching Magi: Kingdom of Magic while worrying that Hirayuki Yoshino will butcher that too(I'm surprised at how much work that guy gets). Ace of the Diamond and Yowapeda both look like strong sports anime. (Too bad, Bamboo has embargoed Space Brothers from The Stream. It's at 70+ episodes and still going strong).
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Totally looking forward to Coppelion. Yeah, I think you're right, it looks like it's got western appeal.

And Kill la Kill and Arpeggio of Blue Steel.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
The premise seems good enough, but it seems like something that won't work in the long run.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I am always for a good science fiction show.

There is no real good storytelling reason for them to be wearing school uniforms or skirts, especially when they might have to fight mutated monsters, cannibals, or other damaged humans. But we all already know why they are in school uniforms with skirts.

Biggest problem with the series is the premise, that after decades there are still people alive, that somehow still need rescuing. Probably, whoever wrote the synopsis got it wrong or misinterpreted it. At least, I hope that is the reason.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Biggest problem with the series is the premise, that after decades there are still people alive, that somehow still need rescuing. Probably, whoever wrote the synopsis got it wrong or misinterpreted it. At least, I hope that is the reason.

People can find ways to survive, even in incredibly hostile environments. Especially if they have equipment designed to combat [to some degree] the environment they find themselves in.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

People can find ways to survive, even in incredibly hostile environments. Especially if they have equipment designed to combat [to some degree] the environment they find themselves in.

Think you misunderstood me. I meant that after decades have passed, everyone who could walk or crawl, would have left the danger zone already. Anyone who actually needed rescuing, and physically couldn't leave at all would be dead. Now that I think about it though, that is if it was an actual nuclear disaster, and not something entirely else.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:57 am Reply with quote
Oh Copellion, nice. looking forward to some of Gohand's green and blueness, as well as Angela's theme song. Looking forward to also watching Kyousogiga, Arpeggio, and Machine Doll( Tokyo Ravens and the Kyoto ani show if i have time as well.)
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Think you misunderstood me. I meant that after decades have passed, everyone who could walk or crawl, would have left the danger zone already. Anyone who actually needed rescuing, and physically couldn't leave at all would be dead.

The people they come across are mostly people who didn't want to leave, even knowing the dangers of staying. It's not like there are hundreds of people all over the place, but there are a few people. Their job is to find those people and get them out, as well as to provide a first-hand report of the situation on the ground.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Think you misunderstood me. I meant that after decades have passed, everyone who could walk or crawl, would have left the danger zone already. Anyone who actually needed rescuing, and physically couldn't leave at all would be dead.

The people they come across are mostly people who didn't want to leave, even knowing the dangers of staying. It's not like there are hundreds of people all over the place, but there are a few people. Their job is to find those people and get them out, as well as to provide a first-hand report of the situation on the ground.

So it is not really rescuing, but rather forced evacuations.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Oh, I didn't know GoHands was involved in this! Mm, I expect a lot of bloom-lighting and general purtiness from this.

I wondered why the picture reminded me of K!

And yeah, the uniforms are kind of bothering me, too. Are high schools with enough funds to design and create uniforms still around after the apocalypse? If so, why are these girls still wearing their uniforms? Don't they have any other clothes, or did they just get out of school and start running around abandoned cities looking for survivors? Do the uniforms offer some sort of special protection?

Is it just because when high school girls star in anime, they have to wear school uniforms?
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
It did briefly occur to me while watching the trailer that the school uniforms are really silly, but the premise seems interesting enough and I'm sure it'll at least be pretty, so I'll likely give it one episode, at least.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Miss Monochrome huh?...sounds interesting I guess.

Kikuko seems like a prominent star in the show so I wonder how this will go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14