• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inside Studio Ironcat

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:22 am Reply with quote
This was a well organized follow-up article to the I.C. interview. Big pat on back to Jonathan and ANN! It sheds light on what exactly was going on with some of the turmoil surrounding Studio Ironcat. I'm glad to see they're still distributing some of their titles, even with this stuff going on. But if this is going to be the quality of their future comics, I'm not sure if I'm going to want to read any more of their titles. Wink
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:58 am Reply with quote
I agree. This is definitely "rib-stickin'" news, which certainly fleshes out the comments made by the former employees. As a tangent, I think this could explain why Fred Gallagher's "Warmth" only showed up in one issue of AmeriManga. Hard to believe only 600 people subscribed to it, though!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
molloaggie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:30 am Reply with quote
Woah! I'm really impressed with the loads of information you dug up. I've only been around for 4 years and didn't keep up with anime news until recently. This is one heck of a troubled company.
Nani?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:09 am Reply with quote
I think you did a very good job of telling the story in a very evenhanded way. You certainly add a lot of context to the earlier interview. I respect that very much.

All the best?

Nani?
PeteInPhilly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:17 am Reply with quote
Greetings!

This article was far superior to the original one. It demonstrated - as best it could - balance in a non-judgmental format.

The only thing missing is Studio Ironcat's side of the story, although that is certainly not the fault of ANN. I have a hunch it's not entirely Studio Ironcat's fault either; legal ramifications and requirements probably keep Steve from telling that side of the story.

In all fairness to Steve, I'd like to say that he's been a popular mainstay in the anime convention industry. His panels, art classes, open friendliness with those who visit the Ironcat table, and his accessibility to the fans in general have helped promote the "otakuzation of the world" (Otakon's goal) for years.

So while I do not wish to detract anything from this nicely crafted ANN article, I'd like to remind everyone that while it remains to be seen how good/bad a businessman and/or employer Steve Bennett may be, he HAS been a positive force in the anime world and we should be willing to give him the benefit of our support. At the very least keep his past and present contributions in mind while we read about goings on at Studio Ironcat. (Which, IMHO, is a much better name than IC Entertainment. Wink )

TTFN!
PeteInPhilly
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:15 am Reply with quote
The Comics Journal's Journailsta! blog complemented the article; second bulletin from the top for today.

http://www.tcj.com/journalista/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:14 pm Reply with quote
amazingly, that studio robb link seems to be entirely legitimate. awesome, an url i don't have to edit out... :)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Delthayre

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:56 pm Reply with quote
*shiver*
Whoever translated, or more accurately wrote that script (could be the same person), should be whacked in the head with a carp a few dozen times. I cannot speak for anyone else, but I found that rather awful. Attempting to write in dialect like that almost always ends badly.

That being said, I rather liked the article. Nicely written and properly journalistic. Studio Ironcat would seem to be one nastily bedevilled company. It's a real shame for the Bennets too, who always seemed like rather nice folks. I somehow get the sense that things are no longer fully under rational control.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
amazingly, that studio robb link seems to be entirely legitimate. awesome, an url i don't have to edit out... Smile

he used to do scans, but he quit once he started working with Ironcat. he lives in my town.
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Very good article. I never expected to read an investigative article here. Kudos
Ranmah

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:22 am Reply with quote
I think Jon did a great job writing about the problems with Ironcat. With all business you get some good deals and then some bad deals.

Hopefully some good can come from this situation.

Ranmah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Goshin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Remarkable job! It was brilliantly done and it answered many questions. Cool
Dejiko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:50 am Reply with quote
The article is very enlightening, thanks a lot!

However, there's an other issue to deal with now.
I really, really wanted to buy the Digi Charat book, but judging by the scans linked to above, it looks and reads like a bad joke. The guy obviously had better sticked with doing scanlations... the 'lettering' and 'script' are bordering on the plain unreadable.

If IC is going to stick with volunteers for now, please... DON'T take sub-entry level scripters/graphic designers for the job. I know you are going through a difficult time, but if you want my money... well... I can live with a bad script OR bad lettering. Asking me to bear both is taking a bit too much of my patience, I'm afraid.
takami826

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:14 am Reply with quote
Sometimes you get what you pay for Rolling Eyes
wednesday

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Dejiko wrote:
the 'lettering' and 'script' are bordering on the plain unreadable.

Bordering?

One of the flaws is that the fellow plainly didn't take print readers into account when doing the two-point flyspeck footnotes. Legible when you've got it at two squillion dpi in front of you, I'm sure...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2